17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2008 2:17 AM by (john_walkerdia)

Is there a way to see where missing footage was located?

Andy Bay Level 1
      Hi!

I would like to know if I can see from somewhere in premiere where it is trying to link a file from. You know, when it is reporting a file missing and you need to find it for premiere.

My problem is that I have many files with exactly the same file name (thats because I rendered sequences out of blender, the files are automatically named 0001, 0002, 0003 ect). So now I don't know to which folder premiere was linking the clips on timeline.

If you know where to check for the file path of missing files, please tell me!

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Is there a way to see where missing footage was located?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Right click on the file and select Properties. I believe the file path is one of the things it will show you.
          • 2. Re: Is there a way to see where missing footage was located?
            Andy Bay Level 1
            Thanks for the reply!

That was also the first thing that I tried, but I'm sorry to say it only showed me the name, pixel dimension, duration and frame rate of the file when in Offline mode. When you do what you suggested normally (when the file is present) it will show a lot more information (including file path) but for some reason very little informastion is shown about offline files. :(

Could there be some other way?
            • 4. Re: Is there a way to see where missing footage was located?
              Andy Bay Level 1
              I would think the information must be somewhere since Premiere knows where to find the files... But where? Could it be found inside the ppr.-file if it was opened in notepad? Or is there an easier way to solve this problem?
              • 5. Re: Is there a way to see where missing footage was located?
                shooternz Level 6
                The problem is that Premiere does NOT "know where to find the files" so thats why it can not provide the additional info when they are not present. If you move them or delete them, how would Premiere be able to track the change of location?

You will need to manually search the HDS

Its a good idea to rename the files (logically) before you use them. (Explorer can do this easily) and store them in logical named Folders
                • 6. Re: Is there a way to see where missing footage was located?
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                  If you skip, you then can go into the bins and relink individual files. But that also suggests that you organized them in some way.

You can search the project file using Notepad.
                  • 7. Re: Is there a way to see where missing footage was located?
                    Level 1
                    What would be nice when you right click and select properties on an item, is for premiere to display the last known file path and actual file name - even if its missing.
                    • 8. Re: Is there a way to see where missing footage was located?
                      Andy Bay Level 1
                      Craig, if Premiere doesn't look for the files in a specific place on the hard drive then how can it open the right files? And how can it recognize if a file is missing from a folder if it doesn't look for a specific file in a specific folder? That's what makes me think that the project file must contain some kind of file path info. Correct me if you have better knowledge of this.

I know it would be better to rename files in a logical way, but the 3rd party program that I'm using (Blender) for making the clips doesn't like them if I name them in a different way. That's why I always keep the file names standard blender, and do the separating of files by naming the folder that include the files in a descriptive way.

Nelson, I totally agree with your post. It would help so much if Premiere would store this information and automatically show the old location when a file is reported missing. I have spent hours relinking complex projects and the most stressful thing is not knowing the original path (and thus the original idea of the file). This should maybe be made in to a feature request then?
                      • 9. Re: Is there a way to see where missing footage was located?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Andy,

It knows to look in the location where the file resided, when they were Imported into Premiere. Once the files have been moved, re-named, etc., Premiere is lost. It ONLY knows where they were, when Imported.

Something that you could try, would be to Open your Project, and when Premiere cannot find the first file, click on Offline All (exact syntax might differ slighly). Then in the Project Panel, right-click on the Asset (file), and choose "Locate in Explorer," or "Locate in Bridge." Again, the exact syntax might be different, but you'll get the idea, as you look at the drop-down menu. If it opens Explorer, or Bridge, it should open them in the folder, that it expected to find the file(s). Make note of that. Do NOT Save this version of the Project, as you will want to find the offending files, Move/Copy them back to that folder, then, when you Open the Project again, the files will be where they originally were. Now, your problem will be to determine where you moved those files TO. You will probably know where they WERE, but then you have to reconstruct your actions.

As others have stated, alwasy assign unique names to the files, regardless of how any Capture, or creation program named them. Otherwise, do NOT Move any files, until your Project is complete.

Hunt
                        • 10. Re: Is there a way to see where missing footage was located?
                          shooternz Level 6
                          Sorry Andy - I meant to say -

The problem is that Premiere does NOT "know where to find the MISSING files".

It can not track your changes.

I do think it a good idea if it did record last know position even though it would increase the Project File size.
                          • 11. Re: Is there a way to see where missing footage was located?
                            Andy Bay Level 1
                            Bill Hunt said:

"It ONLY knows where they were, when Imported."

This is the information I need! Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post, but I meant to ask if I could see some how where the files were before! I understand very well that Premiere can't keep track of the files moving, but in my situation it helps if I know where they originally were! So thank you a lot, I will try your solution! :)
                            • 12. Re: Is there a way to see where missing footage was located?
                              akribie Level 2
                              The full path of asset files is already stored in the project file, so there are no space implications.

The easiest way to find missing files is to look inside the project file using a text editor - search on <FilePath>.

Since the information is already available in the project file, it is a simple programming issue to display it within the Premiere interface if required (eg when trying to find missing files). One option would be to use the stored path to select the original folder when using 'Link Media". At the moment (CS3.1.1) it seems to take the initial search path as that of the project file.

Mind you, a lot of the problem would go away if all project-related files were stored in a single branch rather than being taken from all over the place. Then not only would it be easy to remember the original location if moved, but it would also be easier to move the whole lot that way, and to remove it all when work is complete.
                              • 13. Re: Is there a way to see where missing footage was located?
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                I agree with David on that last part. I have a standard folder system than get's used for every project. All assets go into the appropriate folders, either by being moved or copied there, before import into Premiere.
                                • 14. Re: Is there a way to see where missing footage was located?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  I also agree, regarding the folder structure in the workflow. Each Project gets its own folder, and below that, all Assets have their own, i.e. Video, Captuer, Sound FX, Audio, Stills, Titles, etc.. Regardless of where on the system, I have the original files, I Copy each Asset into its proper folder. The only exception that I have is SmartSound music, which is always in one particular folder in the system. This also makes backing up a Project much easier, as everything is in the folder hierarchy of that Project.

Hunt
                                  • 15. Re: Is there a way to see where missing footage was located?
                                    McMaster05 Level 1
                                    Hi!
                                    Quite some time since this post, but I have the same problem:
                                    Has anyone found a solution on how to view the last working path?
                                    The Right-Click->Reveal in Bridge is grayed out for me on offline media. This is quite anoying, knowing where the media was would help to look in backups for it.
                                    Premiere must have this path stored somewhere, but how is it showed?
                                    • 16. Re: Is there a way to see where missing footage was located?
                                      McMaster05 Level 1
                                      Ah, sorry, just found that the TExt-Editor-thing David suggested works. But quite a stupid way, this should also be inside the application itself!
                                      • 17. Re: Is there a way to see where missing footage was located?
                                        I think I've read somewhere about an improvement considering this in CS4? Can anyone tell if I remember correctly?