7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2008 9:15 AM by Jim_Simon

Importing a new file to CS3... HELP!!!!!

Hi,
      I have installed Adobe premiere pro CS3. I'm just tryin to import a new file with the format .mpg but it always give me an error message which says "File format not supported".

A lil help

Please

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Importing a new file to CS3... HELP!!!!!
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          This question has been answered many, many, many, many, many times. A forum search should turn up a few posts on the subject.
          • 2. Re: Importing a new file to CS3... HELP!!!!!
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            1 - the demo does not work with mpg or mp3

2 - Premiere is not a good program to edit mpg anyway

Based on reading a LOT of problem reports, importing files from a DVD camcorder or other MPEG device, or Ripping DVD files rarely results in success in Premiere... do not be fooled by movie industry advertising into thinking that "DVD Quality Video" is suitable for EDITING... it is not... a DVD is designed to be for PLAYBACK only... and that includes trying to edit a Standard Def MPEG or VOB file!

You should also use WAV sound files, not the compressed MP3 format, To work with AC3 files in Premiere, it MAY work to copy the ad2ac3dec.dll file from the Encore DVD directory into the Premiere directory

Go to my notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Click the internal link for editing compressed files... read

There are other products better suited to your task (read at the link above for a partial list) but if you only have DVD type files, you should convert to DV AVI... go to the VideoHelp link in my notes and look for a program to convert... but do be aware that converting from a HIGHLY compressed viewing format back to an editing format is going to cause a drop in quality

The only SD (Standard Def) files that Premiere really likes are DV AVI type 2
            • 3. Re: Importing a new file to CS3... HELP!!!!!
              Thanks to "John T Smith" for the above answer.

And no thanks to Adobe for deciding FOR ME what video quality I should be wanting to work with.

Editing pre-existing mpg files is such a pedestrian thing to want to do, why should I not be able to try it out before buying the product?

I don't expect a high end consumer product ($700+) to make that decision for me. (And Premiere is nothing but a consumer product.) And I don't expect a 30-day trial version of anything to hamstring what I can do.

Tellya what, Adobe. I'll go purchase your product on disc from a store, and if I don't like it, I'll return it and you can eat the overhead of the return. Thanks for wasting my time. (Flipping the bird)

Adobe marketers, please forget, for just a few moments, what a high perch you sit upon and acquire just enough humility to allow those of us plebes with aspirations of your greatness to start where we are and work up, gradually, to your lofty level of consumer product standards.

Photoshop was never marketed like this.

Humph.
              • 4. Re: Importing a new file to CS3... HELP!!!!!
                akribie Level 2
                Best to do some research, including on user forums like this one, before spending lots of money. You might then have concluded that another program, eg Premiere Elements, would be more suited to your workflow.
                • 5. Re: Importing a new file to CS3... HELP!!!!!
                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                  >I'll go purchase your product on disc from a store, and if I don't like it, I'll return it and you can eat the overhead of the return.

DON'T DO THAT!!!!

The store probably won't take your return. If you want to buy it and then return it, buy directly from Adobe. They *will* refund your money up to 30 days later.

Power to the people, man!
                  • 6. Re: Importing a new file to CS3... HELP!!!!!
                    Phil Griffith Level 2
                    makes no sense to me to buy a " high end consumer product ($700+)" and then want to edit low quality video. why not just use a low end product?
                    • 7. Re: Importing a new file to CS3... HELP!!!!!
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      Well said, Phil.