28 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2007 10:18 AM by Steven L. Gotz

XDCAM HD

Level 1
      Has anyone used XDCAM HD and edited it with Adobe on a MAC?? The only software Sony Provided was for Windows and the only Mac stuff I can find is for importing in to Final Cut.

JB
        • 1. Re: XDCAM HD
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I don't think Premiere can do it natively on either platform.
          • 2. Re: XDCAM HD
            Level 1
            I've been begging for this feature. I don't understand how Premiere can avoid XDCAM HD. I am shooting a Feature in Nigeria this year and I need the best format for the Budget. XDCAM HD is the best choice. The problem is that I am used to editing in Premiere and it does not support this format. This is a BIG mistake, Adobe. If I have to switch Software over this I may never look back.
            • 3. Re: XDCAM HD
              Level 1
              Maybe your feature will allow you to purchase the plug-in that Adobe recommends you use to edit XDCAM HD ...

http://www.videotechnics.com/products/xdcam_vt.asp

GB
              • 4. Re: XDCAM HD
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                Mobutu - another reason to move to Aspect HD v5.
                • 5. Re: XDCAM HD
                  Level 1
                  How does Aspect tie into this?
                  • 6. Re: XDCAM HD
                    Level 1
                    So I'm supposed to pay an additional $500 for a plug-in that will make XDCAM work? Or I could just use Final Cut which already does XDCAM? I called Adobe today and I hope they read these forums because they are really falling behind while they are trying to catch up. Even HDV you can't export back to tape without buying an add-on!!

JB

Also will Cineform work with a MAC? I went to their site and it seems a little confusing.
                    • 7. Re: XDCAM HD
                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                      There is a beta for the Mac. It looks like they will release NEO for the Mac.

HDV exports back to tape just fine with Premiere Pro 2.0 and CS3. I don't remember for sure about 1.5.1 but I think it worked.

Mobutu, sorry, I was thinking Prospect HD. Use the Component output and capture into an AJA Xena LHe directly into the Cineform codec.
                      • 8. Re: XDCAM HD
                        Level 1
                        "Use the Component output and capture into an AJA Xena LHe directly into the Cineform codec."

Is there an English translation for this?
                        • 9. Re: XDCAM HD
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          Use the Component output and capture into an AJA Xena LHe directly into the Cineform codec.
                          • 10. Re: XDCAM HD
                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                            It is possible to capture live video uncompressed if you have enough processing power and drive space using the AJA card. With less power and drive space, you can capture to the Cineform codec.
                            • 11. Re: XDCAM HD
                              Level 1
                              The whole point of X.D CAM HD is that you can edit natively the files created in the camera. If you convert to some codec you lose the whole idea behind X.D CAM HD.
                              • 12. Re: XDCAM HD
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                I don't think the point of XDCAM HD is to be able to edit the files natively. I think the point behind it was to provide professionals with a space saving way to capture HD footage. There's nothing to say it's not better to convert the files for editing.

GOP source material is more difficult to edit than whole frame source material. That's just the way it will always be.
                                • 13. Re: XDCAM HD
                                  Level 1
                                  How do you define: "more difficult"?
                                  • 14. Re: XDCAM HD
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    Requiring greater calculations by the CPU.
                                    • 15. Re: XDCAM HD
                                      Level 1
                                      So longer render time?
                                      • 16. Re: XDCAM HD
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                        That could be one side effect. It could also just mean more work for normal playback.
                                        • 17. Re: XDCAM HD
                                          Level 1
                                          What does "more work for normal playback" look like on the monitor?
                                          • 18. Re: XDCAM HD
                                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                            Stuttering frames usually. Or, a reduction in quality in order to keep up.
                                            • 19. Re: XDCAM HD
                                              Jeron Coolman Level 1
                                              "The whole point of X.D CAM HD is that you can edit natively the files created in the camera. If you convert to some codec you lose the whole idea behind X.D CAM HD."

I agree with this Mobutu.

The XDCAM codec is 8 bit and Cineform's ProspectHD is 10 bit, so if you are going to do a lot of color correction, filters, and image tweaking, you'd probably end up with nicer looking results if you convert to ProspectHD and work with it instead of the XDCAM codec.
                                              • 20. Re: XDCAM HD
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                Wait, you agree with him, and then point out a flaw in his thinking?

I'm confused.
                                                • 21. Re: XDCAM HD
                                                  Jeron Coolman Level 1
                                                  I was agreeing that one of Sony's selling points of XDCAM is that you should be able just copy the XDCAM files from the optical drive onto your computer and start editing with your NLE, without going through some sort of process of real-time capturing through firewire or SDI. Hopefully if your NLE really supports XDCAM, it will also support making use of the low-resolution proxies for logging the clips; etc.

My comment about ProspectHD wasn't trying to point out a flaw in his thinking. I was just suggesting a scenario where converting to another codec might benefit a workflow even if his NLE fully supported the native editing of the XDCAM footage.
                                                  • 22. Re: XDCAM HD
                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                    >...one of Sony's selling points of XDCAM is that you should be able just copy the XDCAM files from the optical drive onto your computer without going through some sort capturing through firewire or SDI.

OK, that part makes a little more sense. But there may be the temptation to confuse things here. I might not agree that the XDCAM HD video format was designed with that purpose. After all, both the cameras and decks do have HD-SDI outputs if you want or need them. I think the video format was designed more for smaller file HD acquisition, as Uncompressed HD can be quite large.

I would agree that Professional Disk (and shortly ExpressCard) formats used to record the video were specifically designed for that purpose, as was the P2 system from Panasonic.

Sometimes people have a tendency to confuse the video format with the recording medium. Even when they're inextricably linked, they're still two different things.

>My comment about ProspectHD wasn't trying to point out a flaw in his thinking.

Nevertheless, it did accomplish that end. It was a point well made.
                                                    • 23. Re: XDCAM HD
                                                      Level 1
                                                      Editing in XDCAM native means you just copy the files from the camera disk to your hard drive and start editing right there (no acquisition time). Plus you get a better image quality than HDV but still use small amounts of disk space. That's the key advantage of XDCAM.

Prospect takes large amounts of disk space and you have to acquire the footage. Going through prospect and back means you lose two key advantages (1) you now have to acquire the footage with a lengthy conversion process and (2) you eat up large amounts of disk space. So to me that process totally undermines the advantages of XDCAM.

If I'm going to use Prospect then I may as well shoot in HDCAM.
                                                      • 24. Re: XDCAM HD
                                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                        Mobutu, you've just stumbled upon the flaw with GOP codecs. Welcome.
                                                        • 25. Re: XDCAM HD
                                                          Level 1
                                                          GOP?
                                                          • 26. Re: XDCAM HD
                                                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                                            Group Of Pictures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-2
                                                            • 27. Re: XDCAM HD
                                                              Level 1
                                                              Aspect doesn't run on a Mac. Nor may the plug-in.
                                                              • 28. Re: XDCAM HD
                                                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                                                The beta of the codec seemed to be going well. No plugin for acceleration, but at least the codec makes it possible to use the same files on a PC and a Mac.

Mobutu has a PC and while the thread got off track, the OP has a problem is my guess. Purchase NEO so he can capture to Cineform Quicktime using HDLink, and use the beta codec to edit in Premiere Pro on a Mac.