27 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2008 7:35 PM by Phil Griffith

Best way to burn a DVD?

Is there any reason that it's better to "export to encore" from within premiere rather than export an .avi file and then take that into Encore?

I could be wrong but it just seems like exporting to an avi file and then letting encore do the transcoding seems faster than having Premiere "export to Encore".

Also when I let premiere do the transcoding, I have to pick all the waulity settings and such (i.e. DVD Medium Quality or DVD High Quality, PCM or MPEG sound etc.) but if I just import an avi into encore and tell it to build a DVD, it seems to all be pretty automatic.
        • 1. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
          Level 1
          The PRO of letting Encore do it is that it figures it out for you, requiring no thinking.
          The PROBLEM with making an AVI is that you're losing quality by saving that AVI, and then losing quality AGAIN when Encore re-makes the file for DVD. That's 2 generation losses.
          I personally get MUCH better visual results making the DVD file (.m2v) straight from Premiere. Saving AVIs kills your quality. BUT, saving AVIs is easier! I guess the choice is yours.
          • 2. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
            Level 1
            So then what is the best format to save a "master" of your movie? I always exported my movie to DV AVI as my "master" for archiving and such.
            • 3. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
              Ruud Blauw Level 1
              If you want the best of both worlds, please have a look at:

b Tutorial - Frameserving from Premiere to Encore
              http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c05fbd9
              • 4. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                I don't have the plug in Debugmode frameserver.
                Where do i get that from?
                Thanks
                • 5. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                  Level 1
                  OK I have located the Plug in, but it doesnt mention the CS3 version and i have installed it and it is not showing up in my settings..
                  Help!!
                  • 6. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    >Saving AVIs kills your quality.

Coming from DV source, I have to strongly disagree with this one. Yes, there is a theoretical loss exporting out to DV AVI and then letting Encore do the MPEG transcoding. But that loss is theoretical only. In the real world, my own test showed no visual difference when viewing the final DVD between coming out of Premiere as Uncompressed AVI, DV AVI or MPEG. The final DVD result was indistinguishable on all three copies.

So with DV export, we have the practical advantage of letting Encore figure out the settings, and no discernible drop in quality using DV source.

Having said that, using Export to Encore should allow you to get the best of both worlds, as you should still be able to use the Automatic setting for a single timeline Encore project, without any generational loss, theoretical or practical.
                    • 7. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                      Lisa,

Do you have any other versions of Premiere Pro installed besides CS3? If not, did you point the installer to the correct location? Here's where it would go in a default PPro CS3 installation:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\Plug-ins\en_US\cm-dfscPremiereOut.prm

The .prm file is the plug-in file.

The tutorial was all done on CS3 apps, so the plug-in will work once installed correctly.
                      • 8. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                        Level 1
                        Thank you Jeff.
                        I don't think it did go to that location, so i will try that.
                        Lisa
                        • 9. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                          Level 1
                          I see it now.
                          Thanks a lot.
                          • 10. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                            Curt Wrigley Level 4
                            I agree with Jim. Exporting DV material to DV AVI will not introduce a noticeable quality difference. Unless you're doing it dozens of times.

That said, it sure would be nice if encore could just import a ppro timeline ala dynamic link so intermediate rendering would not be required.

Curt
                            • 11. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                              Level 1
                              Wouldnt that be nice.
                              • 12. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                I thought that's what "Export to Encore" does. No?
                                • 13. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                                  No.

Export to Encore renders directly to .m2v and .wav from inside PPro, then imports the rendered files into a new Encore project. You can't use Encore's automatic transcoding when you "Export to Encore".

That's why even with CS3 my frameserver tutorial (In the Encore forum) is useful.
                                  • 14. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                                    Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                    Yea; "Export to Encore" is more of a keyboard macro than integration. As Jeff said; It simply encodes the ppro timline, then opens that "timeline" in encore for you. It might save a couple keystrokes from doing it manually, but other than that not very useful.

Curt
                                    • 15. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                                      Level 1
                                      Where do I find this FrameServer plugin, and how much does it cost ?

Thanks,

Dave.
                                      • 16. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                                        Dave,

Go here: http://www.debugmode.com/frameserver/

It's free.

-Jeff
                                        • 17. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                                          Level 1
                                          Hi Jeff,

wow, talk about fast service :-)

I've installed ( using your directions in this thread ) now to see what I can do with it.

P.S. - Somebody asked about taking a video and extracting images from that video. I thought Premiere did this on its own ( ??? ) however, this plugin indicates it does this:

"Debugmode Frameserver can also export the video from your NLE as an Image sequence. Frames can be saved in lossless BMP, TIFF, PNG and high quality JPEG formats."

Thanks Jeff ! wish me luck :-)

Dave.
                                          • 18. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                                            Level 1
                                            This isn't good. I just installed the plugin, and now tried starting Premiere, and it now tells me the program settings are not set correctly. Is this plugin compatible with cs3 ?

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"

Oh I don't know what I've done now.

DAve.
                                            • 19. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                                              Did you get the plug-in into the correct folder? (see post #7)

If so, try launching PPro while holding the Shift key down - that'll force PPro to rebuild the plug-in cache.

-Jeff
                                              • 20. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                                                Level 1
                                                Hi Jeff,

I was positive I had installed it into the correct folder. I just went back to re-install, only to see that folder "plugins" was now gone, however I found it under another folder called "presets" , so for a test, I copied that plugins folder, up a level in the tree, and bingo, PP now opens, and I do now see the frameserver plugin. Phew.

As to what happened I don't know, and now I have double folders for "plugins" (folder )

do I now delete the plugins folder that is under the preset folder ? as it was not in the correct place ?

DAve.
                                                • 21. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                                                  Yes. Go ahead and delete the plugins folder that is under the Presets folder - it doesn't belong there.
                                                  • 22. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Hi Jeff,

Ok I did that, and it seems to be loading correctly. Phew. I had quite a scare there for a moment.

Thanks.

Dave.

P.S. I'm watching your tutorial right now, but the very beginning of the tutorial doesn't look anything like mine. I have a timeline with video clip, whereas you have something else. (I don't see any timeline ) I hope I can get through this, as it seems like a very good tut.

Thank you for putting it together
                                                    • 23. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                                                      Level 1
                                                      Hi Jeff, I'm following along with your great tutorial, and everything is fine.

One question, - When I first started the tutorial, and told premiere to export my movie using the frameserver mode from the output options, within a matter of a second or 2, it had written out my "signpost.avi" video to my hard drive.

I don't think I"m understand this fully,, how could the frameserver plugin have created a large file like this in a mere second or 2 ? somehow it is not rendering it ( there was no rendering going on )

I'm confused about this. ( you did mention that FrameServer would do this rather quickly, but this seems to good to be true - and I wonder if this is the case, then why isn't this the method of choice to export an .avi file from your original capture - all the time ? ( instead of rendering the footage as we usually do ( ? )

DAve.
                                                      • 24. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                                                        >I'm watching your tutorial right now, but the very beginning of the tutorial doesn't look anything like mine. I have a timeline with video clip, whereas you have something else. (I don't see any timeline )

All I showed in the tutorial's opening was PPro's Project Panel. The timeline window was off-frame and active when I started to export. I wanted the text for the menus and the floating dialogs to be easy to read, and that's how I dealt with the problem.

My tutorials will get better as time goes by, and glitches like that will gradually go away. :)

I'm working on one now for particleIllusion and After Effects.
                                                        • 25. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                                                          Phil Griffith Level 2
                                                          Ok, Jeff. I have a question or two. First, before when I exported movie from premiere as dv-avi, I could export chapter points as well. Will the frameserver do this as well, or will I have to build chapters in timeline in encore?
                                                          Second. I noticed that frameserver builds an avi file as well, albeit it is a lot smaller than the regular avi file in the past. is this where frameserver gets it's feed from to encore or something else?
                                                          All in all, I like the fact that it goes a lot faster than my usual way.
                                                          • 26. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                                                            The signpost.avi file is a "bridge". The video information from PPro travels across this bridge to get to Encore. It doesn't have to be a big file to fulfill its "bridge" function. The signpost file won't hold any video information once the frameserver stops serving - in fact, it should be deleted automatically.

The signpost.avi file will contain audio if you told the frameserver to write audio to the signpost file. If you didn't let the frameserver write audio to the file, then it will be even smaller, and the audio will have to travel over the bridge with the video.

The frameserver will not export chapter markers. But because it is an .avi file, when you put it into an Encore timeline, you can add chapter markers there that will be frame-accurate as opposed to importing an mpeg file that would limit you to GOP accuracy.
                                                            • 27. Re: Best way to burn a DVD?
                                                              Phil Griffith Level 2
                                                              Sounds good. Thanks for the info. It will definitely be better than going out to avi file first.