8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2008 11:55 AM by Jeron Coolman

Uncompressed HD editing issues

Level 1
      Got some weird stuff going on here.

Am editing in uncompressed HD and I find that after making several adjustments to for example, clip length or disolves or anything really, the ability to playback function on timeline stops working. It seems part of the problem is that if a clip in the timeline is highlighted this causes the problem. The weird thing is, I have found that if I run the 'project manager' then cancel out of it before doing anything with it, the playback function returns. However that is not always the case and sometimes the only solution is to save everything, quit out of Premiere and run the program from scratch.

Anybody else had anyhting like this?
        • 1. Re: Uncompressed HD editing issues
          Fighting Sticks Level 2
          I'm working on a HD project and I bet that anyone else working on a HD project will also indicate that the manner in which CS3 'functions' on HD projects is not with the speed and efficiency that you would have expected upon reading Adibe propoganda pre purchasing. First up run to help and tech support to be sure you're system is configured for best possible. However without doubt I suggest that when it comes to HD, CS3 has issues that should have been ironed out or greatly improved prior to release. I was definitely blindsided by this software as I thoutght the most difficult part of working well with CS3 HD editing was going to be the software initialisation. Just remeber that in this arena you're walking around in a virtual minefield, dont' expect to be able to sprint at speed across the terrain without something blowing you up. Go slowly, slowly and you should (fingers and toes crossed) be able to achieve the results you want. I'm thinking I might open a topic post related to this sometime soon and eagerly await to see what other sort of feedback finds its way here. Good Luck staying sane.
          • 2. Re: Uncompressed HD editing issues
            Level 1
            Hey Jarrod, No kidding about staying sane. I completely agree with you about hd editing and cs3. I am gettung there but boy has it been a struggle with one bug after another. Today I tried to render a very simple straight forward dissolve. halfway thru the render upcomes a message that basically said can't render this and I don't know why. After trying a couple of the things that I've found that work for some problems I ended up restarting CS3. Tried it ain and this time it worked. I rekon Adobe should pay us for tech support to get feedback on where the bugs are and what we end up having to do to work around stuff.
            • 3. Re: Uncompressed HD editing issues
              Fighting Sticks Level 2
              Well Adobe are laughing all the way to the bank, they're like that creul big brother that I never had. After or during my mental collapse I sought help from Tech support, they saved my bacon with one bridge but it is still a precaurious climb. They can help, some. No doubt we'll lament on problems ahead yet to rear there ugly heads.
              • 4. Re: Uncompressed HD editing issues
                Jeron Coolman Level 1
                >Am editing in uncompressed HD and I find that after making several adjustments to for example, clip length or disolves or anything really, the ability to playback function on timeline stops working.

What project preset are you using for the uncompressed HD work?

FWIW I have an Aja Xena card and use the Aja presets for all of my uncompressed HD work and Premiere Pro works fine for those projects. Granted you need a beefy machine that is configured properly for performance, but no bugs and flaky behavior like being described here. I wouldn't dream of doing uncompressed HD work with out the Aja card, though...
                • 5. Re: Uncompressed HD editing issues
                  Level 1
                  From my experiences and tests with CS3 (which I have abandoned in favour of PPro 2 for HD work) there are memory management problems. The software allocates a dynamic memory block on startup in which most of its internal workings can have free access to. Unfortunately this block of memory becomes severely fragmented during prolonged use and when a CONTINUOUS block of memory is required eg a render, it no longer can find the available rescource. Generally this would occur from a third party plugin and as Adobe does not allow for return error codes it can only report "unknown error". A classic example of this is if you are using a 3rd party codec as the render engine where after a while you get the error "Compile error - unknown error". This is obviously exaserbated by working with uncompressed HD files where EACH FRAME is in excess of 8.2 meg!

What would be nice is for Adobe to build in a 'background memory defragmenter' but that obviously would have a performance hit. The only solution to this is to close the program and restart where apon the required memory allocation starts again but non-fragmented. And thus the fragmenting starts again.

Baz
                  (PS. the above also applies to PPro 2 but with a lesser effect)
                  • 6. Re: Uncompressed HD editing issues
                    Level 1
                    I disagree about the "Beefy" machine. I have access to some of the beefiest there are! and still have issues.

Might be a sound card driver, or a software conflict. Even if you're lucky and you run CS-3 on a machine running XP-SP2, with all the updates (and the highest end you can) you're still going to run into issues.

Some of my recent ones? Audio card drivers -- try to touch an audio file or edit it...down I would go. Recent XP update OMG! NO! Evil!

What cracks me up to no end, I have two machines running CS-3 both with access to the same project. (One takes a lot longer to load it than the other, but that one crashes way less).

2.8 - Intel hyperthreading (Beta proc mind you, that I've had OMG for 8 years) - 1GB ram. STABLE! (running seperate audio/ and ack don't laugh, 32mb video card)

3.4 Dual core, 4gb of ram - Onboard audio (realtek) running a 512mb PCI-Express Video card.

It's hit or miss...Good luck.
                    • 7. Re: Uncompressed HD editing issues
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      RealTek audio has been known to cause issues with Premiere.
                      • 8. Re: Uncompressed HD editing issues
                        Jeron Coolman Level 1
                        > I disagree about the "Beefy" machine. I have access to some of the beefiest there are! and still have issues.

I'm talking about working with uncompressed HD which is what the original poster said he is editing.

>2.8 - Intel hyperthreading (Beta proc mind you, that I've had OMG for 8 years) - 1GB ram. STABLE! (running seperate audio/ and ack don't laugh, 32mb video card)

>3.4 Dual core, 4gb of ram - Onboard audio (realtek) running a 512mb PCI-Express Video card.

If you are editing uncompressed HD on either of these machines without a Blackmagic or Aja card and a good RAID controller card with at least 4 SATA II drives dedicated to a RAID array for media, then I can understand why you are having problems.