9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2008 10:23 AM by Jeff Bellune

Project  Import Bug

hhansard Level 1
      PPCS3, windows, latest patches, etc, etc

Great bug and I used to write software for a living, so I know a good bud when I see one Perfectly repeatable 100% of the time:

Needed to pull together something quickly. Built a new project and imported several old projects to pull assets and some timeline.

So I build project X and import projects A+B+C

Cleaned-up all the un-needed assets and un-used timelines and reorganized everything nice and tidy. Used project manager to blow-away all unused assets.

SO I am left with just X

Burned DVD life is good.

So now I have a finished project X and saved-it-out. Done !

Several weeks later, a guy sees the DVD and wants me to expand the idea and use some of his assets.

OK, dont want to corrupt my finished dvd project [X], so I create a new project and import the final version of the saved dvd project [X] and will add his assets

Basically use final X + new assets to make project Y

Well, upon importing X, I dont get X I get A+B+C ??? in the state prior to using project manager to clean-up

In summary, X is not imported at all, not the final timeline anywhere.. I simple get A+B+C..

I must be crazy, so I close my current project and open the final dvd project [X] and it is in its correct state ---- nice and tidy. I even burn another DVD to make sure the project is not corrupted.

OK, I must have made a mistake, so I go back and create a new project [Y] and import the final state of X and it happens again. I get A+B+C I even try to import auto-saves versions, and still happens.

Now I assume the project bin is managed using a linked-list of pointers, or large pointer array something inside the project file is really screwed-up to cause an import problem like this. Are there history states on the project bin?

Thanks in advance,

Hugh
        • 1. Re: Project  Import Bug
          hhansard Level 1
          Update:

See previous post for background.

Well I figure that I may as well work with what I got. My project has only 100 assets, so what the hell, how long could it take me?

I import X (and get A+B+C)

I re-splice A+B+C to Make a new project Y It will cost me a day, but its snowing right now and what the hell

So I re-clean-up and use project manager to blow-away unused assets basically getting a new Y that is an approximation of X

Come back after a break..

Open Y and PP asked for 3 missing assets.. what the hell??? I write down the names, skip them and use the find function to locate the missing assets in the project.not there at all they were purged during the clean-up. Found them on disk and definitely blown-away in project manager starting to see a pattern here..

Not sure of the structure of the project file, but it must be corrupt And what is interesting, it is remembering a previous state of the file I can open the original X and burn a dvd perfectly. But if I import X, it sees a version of the file that has not existed in monthsNow that is cool

Thinking Most [mission critical] software has built-in validity checking you run a stand-alone software on the database (Oracle, Exchange, Quicken, disk i-node tables, whatever) they all have it I wrote some of this stuff in my time. These programs rifle-through the data and use checksums, Hamming codes, etc.. to see if and data is corrupt, and ask you how you want to fix itPP have a function like this? If so, can I use it to fix my corrupt project? If not, it would be a good feature This would save me many hours at this point

Thanks in advance,

Hugh
          • 2. Re: Project  Import Bug
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            I can't explain the error as I just never use the Project Manager. (I prefer to do all my Windows organizing only with an external file manager.) But a quick work around might be to just open X and do a Save As... for project Y.
            • 3. Re: Project  Import Bug
              hhansard Level 1
              Great minds think alike... that was exactly the second thing i tried, believe it or not, the corruption follows the project....
              • 4. Re: Project  Import Bug
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                Grasping at straws here...

Any chance you finished with a Flex Bin open and not the top-level Project bin? Maybe you had copies in other bins that were closed, or some other strange bin state existed at the time of trimming? Is the final state of X *really* gone from the trimmed project's top-level Project bin?

Point: did you open and test the trimmed project right after you used the Project Manager? Or did you just trim-and-go?
                • 5. Re: Project  Import Bug
                  hhansard Level 1
                  OK, new update: please see previous posts, or this wont make sense

Got some interesting suggestions from forum members, but they did not pan-out, but thanks to all good ideas all around

Decided to try this: I assumed that an aaf export would rifle through all the pointers in the project bin and spit-out a flat file of assets, so decided to give it a try never done that before...

Exported final dvd project X to an aaf.

Created a new project Y and imported the project X aaf.

Now this is the interesting part: I get all of projects A+B+C andthe X timeline [what that I needed] and missing from all previous attempts

Of course, the project bin is just one big mess, but I can deal with that will take hours to fix this stuff, but it is what it is.

So it appears that the assets are all there, but in some big/strange screwed-up pointer/index mess

Was tempted to fire-up Ultra-edit in HEX mode and deconstruct the project file, but I dont have that kind of free time.

Would be interested in sending the pproj file to adobe and have them tell me what whet wrong, and more importantly, create a utility to detect / correct corruption I have only 100 assets, but I could not imagine what someone would do with a 1000 assets, a corrupt pproj, a deadline and an unforgiving Marketing VP...

Thanks,

Hugh
                  • 6. Re: Project  Import Bug
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    >interested in sending the pproj file to adobe

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform
                    • 7. Re: Project  Import Bug
                      hhansard Level 1
                      Sure, followed the link in your post, but did not really offer a way to upload anything... just show me the way...

This botha bug and feature request...

Hugh
                      • 8. Re: Project  Import Bug
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                        I doubt Adobe will allow you to send anything... but you could upload to your own web site and put a link in your message
                        • 9. Re: Project  Import Bug
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                          Hugh,

A PPro project file is just an XML file.

Try XMLWrench: http://www.xmlwrench.com/index.html

It checks for well-formedness and validity, and allows you to edit and save the xml file.

-Jeff