This content has been marked as final. Show 9 replies
See previous post for background.
Well I figure that I may as well work with what I got. My project has only 100 assets, so what the hell, how long could it take me?
I import X (and get A+B+C)
I re-splice A+B+C to Make a new project Y It will cost me a day, but its snowing right now and what the hell
So I re-clean-up and use project manager to blow-away unused assets basically getting a new Y that is an approximation of X
Come back after a break..
Open Y and PP asked for 3 missing assets.. what the hell??? I write down the names, skip them and use the find function to locate the missing assets in the project.not there at all they were purged during the clean-up. Found them on disk and definitely blown-away in project manager starting to see a pattern here..
Not sure of the structure of the project file, but it must be corrupt And what is interesting, it is remembering a previous state of the file I can open the original X and burn a dvd perfectly. But if I import X, it sees a version of the file that has not existed in monthsNow that is cool
Thinking Most [mission critical] software has built-in validity checking you run a stand-alone software on the database (Oracle, Exchange, Quicken, disk i-node tables, whatever) they all have it I wrote some of this stuff in my time. These programs rifle-through the data and use checksums, Hamming codes, etc.. to see if and data is corrupt, and ask you how you want to fix itPP have a function like this? If so, can I use it to fix my corrupt project? If not, it would be a good feature This would save me many hours at this point
Thanks in advance,
I can't explain the error as I just never use the Project Manager. (I prefer to do all my Windows organizing only with an external file manager.) But a quick work around might be to just open X and do a Save As... for project Y.
Great minds think alike... that was exactly the second thing i tried, believe it or not, the corruption follows the project....
Grasping at straws here...
Any chance you finished with a Flex Bin open and not the top-level Project bin? Maybe you had copies in other bins that were closed, or some other strange bin state existed at the time of trimming? Is the final state of X *really* gone from the trimmed project's top-level Project bin?
Point: did you open and test the trimmed project right after you used the Project Manager? Or did you just trim-and-go?
OK, new update: please see previous posts, or this wont make sense
Got some interesting suggestions from forum members, but they did not pan-out, but thanks to all good ideas all around
Decided to try this: I assumed that an aaf export would rifle through all the pointers in the project bin and spit-out a flat file of assets, so decided to give it a try never done that before...
Exported final dvd project X to an aaf.
Created a new project Y and imported the project X aaf.
Now this is the interesting part: I get all of projects A+B+C andthe X timeline [what that I needed] and missing from all previous attempts
Of course, the project bin is just one big mess, but I can deal with that will take hours to fix this stuff, but it is what it is.
So it appears that the assets are all there, but in some big/strange screwed-up pointer/index mess
Was tempted to fire-up Ultra-edit in HEX mode and deconstruct the project file, but I dont have that kind of free time.
Would be interested in sending the pproj file to adobe and have them tell me what whet wrong, and more importantly, create a utility to detect / correct corruption I have only 100 assets, but I could not imagine what someone would do with a 1000 assets, a corrupt pproj, a deadline and an unforgiving Marketing VP...
>interested in sending the pproj file to adobe
Sure, followed the link in your post, but did not really offer a way to upload anything... just show me the way...
This botha bug and feature request...
I doubt Adobe will allow you to send anything... but you could upload to your own web site and put a link in your message
A PPro project file is just an XML file.
Try XMLWrench: http://www.xmlwrench.com/index.html
It checks for well-formedness and validity, and allows you to edit and save the xml file.