15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2008 5:36 PM by Ozpeter

AVCHD - whats the latest  - I need to edit some!

shooternz Level 6
      Help wanted please - a bit urgent.

I am searching (here and elsewhere) for latest info on AVCHD because a corporate client is going to walk in here tomorrow with some material they have shot AVCHD !

I am meant to cut a short program from it.

So I guess I need to convert it to something I can use in Premiere CS3 Mac, Premiere Pro Windows, Premiere Elements or Final Cut Pro. Those are my options that I have in house.

I also guess that I have to get it off what ever it was recorded on. I have no idea what that would be but they shot it on a Panasonic Camera.

Converter needed????
        • 1. Re: AVCHD - whats the latest  - I need to edit some!
          mickkeay Level 1
          Craig - I have been playing with AVCHD for a while now and IMO you need either Elecard Converter Studio AVCHD - there is a version for around $65 and a frame limited trial so you can try it. (other alternatives are more expensive - Sony Vegas 7e or 8 or Procoder) This will get you to HDV. Then you can edit an HDV project as normal. If you enjoy pain you could also try the Main Concept MPeg Pro plugin. I think there is a panasonic AVCHD converter for free on a panasonic website but it rejected my Sony AVCHD. Email me if you need office@michaelkeay.co.uk
          • 2. Re: AVCHD - whats the latest  - I need to edit some!
            shooternz Level 6
            Thanx for that - Elecard looks like a good starting point.

Googling starts now.....
            • 3. Re: AVCHD - whats the latest  - I need to edit some!
              shooternz Level 6
              This may be a simple and cheap "solution"...

http://www.elecard.com/products/products-pc/consumer/avchd-dv-transcoder/

I will try it. I do not think this little program my client wants, requires HD quality and will be viewed as a small file by end viewer so this maybe the answer.
              • 4. Re: AVCHD - whats the latest  - I need to edit some!
                mickkeay Level 1
                Not tried it but the one I mentioned is only $35 more and will also convert down to DV too. There are tons of posts on an earlier thread AVCHD and cs3 (or something similar)

What is the client going to watch the end result on? Web?
                • 5. Re: AVCHD - whats the latest  - I need to edit some!
                  shooternz Level 6
                  Thanx - I downloaded both trial versions.

Both look promising. (Cant test anything until I find an AVCHD clip to test it on.)

Client will probably view on own computers once distributed via ftp site. I will encode to wmv or .movs or something else...
                  • 6. Re: AVCHD - whats the latest  - I need to edit some!
                    shooternz Level 6
                    Reporting back that "it works" very well indeed.

I used the trial version on Elecard AVC HD to DV Transcoder ($35)

Converted a sample clip to avi (simple and fast batch process)

Imported clip to standard preset in Premiere Pro project

Interpreted the footage as widescreen.

Perfect for my purpose .

Audio is good as well.

Thanx MickKeay - good lead.

BTW: Do hope that I do not have to deal with this AVCHD stuff much in the future though...!
                    • 7. Re: AVCHD - whats the latest  - I need to edit some!
                      mickkeay Level 1
                      Good to hear it.
                      I would still use the only slightly more expensive Converter Studio AVCHD to convert to HDV. Then edit in CS3. You will see the difference when you output to say QT H264 mov. Those AVCHD clips have some good definition in them - even if they are a bit of a pain
                      • 8. Re: AVCHD - whats the latest  - I need to edit some!
                        shooternz Level 6
                        I can easily upgrade if neccessity insists.
                        • 9. Re: AVCHD - whats the latest  - I need to edit some!
                          llaferte Level 1
                          I see that newer versions of Nero claims to edit AVCHD. I haven't tried it but I use Nero 6 its great. Might be worth a look.:

http://www.nero.com/enu/index.html?NeroSID=32f03fc46369db4ddbf3f739a8df94ae
                          • 10. Re: AVCHD - whats the latest  - I need to edit some!
                            Ozpeter Level 1
                            Nero Vision 5 (current version) does work with AVCHD but its editing is very basic. The good news is that when going AVCHD > AVCHD is doesn't re-render unchanged frames so it's actually pretty fast. It will play AVCHD footage from the timeline on below-spec hardware as long as you reduce the size of the window enough. Anyone used to Premiere would find it waaay too "noddy" for serious use, but for quick and simple it's got its strengths. If AVCHD ever comes to Premiere, I'd hope to see those two attributes included (provision of usable playback in a smaller window, and no reprocessing of unchanged frames if outputting to AVCHD).
                            • 11. Re: AVCHD - whats the latest  - I need to edit some!
                              shooternz Level 6
                              Despite the fact my client is going to present me with some of this "devil spawn video" and I will deal with it ... I don't get it

What is it for? How does one edit it native? Whats the point?

Another format "gone by lunchtime"

Move on folks...nothing to see here.
                              • 12. Re: AVCHD - whats the latest  - I need to edit some!
                                Ozpeter Level 1
                                > What is it for? How does one edit it native? Whats the point?

It seems primarily aimed at getting high quality video onto solid state media, eg SDHC cards - and the reason for putting the video onto tiny format media is that you thereby reduce the size of the hardware to the minimum. So the whole shebang goes in your coat pocket ready for use at any time. And the same media goes into your audio recorder, your still camera, your personal organiser, and the little slot on your laptop. Makes sense to me, but not in the professional environment I guess, where most of those considerations don't arise.
                                • 13. Re: AVCHD - whats the latest  - I need to edit some!
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  It also plays on your Blu-ray player without conversion. You could theoretically just burn the media direct to Blu-ray disk. Another plus for the consumer market.
                                  • 14. Re: AVCHD - whats the latest  - I need to edit some!
                                    shooternz Level 6
                                    Wonder how Blu Ray Player sales are going? Anyone here got one?
                                    • 15. Re: AVCHD - whats the latest  - I need to edit some!
                                      Ozpeter Level 1
                                      > Wonder how Blu Ray Player sales are going? Anyone here got one?

I've not got a Blu Ray player myself - but I have a "PlayStation 3" on its way that apparently plays Blu Ray very nicely (and is firmware upgradeable as they change the standards of the format). It's one of 30,000 that were given away here in Australia by Sony recently, if you bought a Bravia TV. They are starting to think like printer manufacturers - sell the printer cheap and then charge like a wounded bull for the ink (the ink in this case being the Blu Ray movies).

Meanwhile I can use non-Adobe software to do straightforward editing and simple titling of my AVCHD footage, on modest (Core2Due 1.66Ghz laptop) hardware, with rendering typically taking 38 mins for a 38 min full length 'production'. By "full length" I mean the approximate capacity of a standard DVD, onto which the software burns in pseudo Blu Ray format, in full original quality (unchanged frames are copied straight across). The result can then be played via a Panasonic DVD player that comes with the camera (you have to connect the player to the camera and the camera to the TV). By all accounts the same DVD will go in the PS3 and thus avoid the need for connecting the camera to the TV - when mine arrives.

And of course I can render to standard def DVD for those not having the means to replay high def.

I have yet to get around to comparing the AVCHD quality to the standard DV material produced by my previous camcorder (Sony VX9000 - ok, it's antique, but it was pretty state of the art for wedding videographers in its time) but I suspect there's no contest.

The only other means I have of comparing the AVCHD quality to other media is to check it against broadcast hi-def material - and there's not that much of that to be had. It stands up well, to my amateur eye. So, I'm perfectly happy as I can edit for my personal requirements in timeframes that match or better standard def work, and I don't get dissatisfied with the quality when I compare it to any other video source I have.

Consequently I can't see AVCHD as any kind of disaster from my personal perspective. Of course there are other perspectives.