4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2008 11:04 AM by shooternz

Problems with Alpha Channels

Level 1
      I create Alpha Channels in Photoshop by saving my selection as a channel and then saving my Photoshop file as .psd or .tiff. Sometimes I can import these files into Premiere and it works great. Much of the time though, I try to import and it says "file is not compatible or is damaged"
      I try recreate it over and over again and I can't figure out why it works sometimes and not other times. HELP
        • 1. Re: Problems with Alpha Channels
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Someone mentioned in another thread something about the color space making a difference for .psd files. RGB vs YUV I think? Can't recall the details, but maybe a forum search will turn something up for you.
          • 2. Re: Problems with Alpha Channels
            Level 1
            I know I've had trouble when importing CMYK images, that could be the color space Jim mentions. Make sure your images in Photoshop are RGB.
            • 3. Re: Problems with Alpha Channels
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Dan,

Aside from Color Space settings, and 8-bit v 16-bit images, you also want to make sure that the Compatibility box is checked, when Saving. In PS Edit>Preferences>File Handling, "Maximize PSD & PSB File Compatibility:" Always, and accept this, when asked upon Save. I always do so, but have had problems with material supplied by others that was Saved with this off, to make smaller files. The savings in file size is minimal. Adobe InDesign is the worst, at not accepting files with Compatibility unchecked. Do not recall this in PP, but probably only worked with my files which have it.

Any clues, regarding the files that do not Import?

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Problems with Alpha Channels
                shooternz Level 6
                Do you need to actually go the "save selection /channel" route to create what you are trying to do.

I generally work on a 'Transparent' Background and have no problems with the transparency working on PSD import to Premiere.