4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2007 8:10 PM by (Aanarav_Sareen)

HDV camcorder recommendations for Chromakey work?

I am looking for a decent hdv cam (between 1,000 - $2,000) that PPro CS3 can edit, for studio work against a green background. There is alot of new stuff out but hard to tell if I can then capture and edit in PPRo. Thanks, Don
        • 1. Re: HDV camcorder recommendations for Chromakey work?
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
          Aanarav Sareen and I shot some green screen footage a while back, and while Premiere Pro is not even close to the quality you get from Keylight (included with After Effects Pro), it can be done.

We used two different brands of cameras, and his little camera did just as well as my big Sony FX1.

So what I am saying is, do not choose your camera based on it's Chroma key capability. They will all work. Choose on other requirements.

And get After Effects Pro!
          • 2. Re: HDV camcorder recommendations for Chromakey work?
            Level 1
            I have AE 7 Pro and I did notice there key effects are much better. Is keylight a stand alone program?

I was asking about the camera because I have read that HD resoultion captures more clor information and makes for better key selections. I already have a Panasonic mini-DV that seems OK, I think I need a bigger screen so I can get the foreground out ahead of it further and get less color bleed. I understand the foam backed screens are better too. I know the kighting is critical too. I just thought I'd cover the camera angle if that was important.

Thanks, Don
            • 3. Re: HDV camcorder recommendations for Chromakey work?
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5
              Don,

Not standalone, but it may need to be installed separately in AE7, I don't remember, but there was something that needed to be installed separately. Look on the disc if it isn't in your menu. I don't have AE7 loaded anymore, but in CS3 it is in the Effect > Keying menu.

Lighting is key (pun intended). But to be honest, we shot some bad lighting just to demonstrate the difference, and Keylight kept giving us a great key with what I thought would be horrible lighting.
              • 4. Re: HDV camcorder recommendations for Chromakey work?
                Level 1
                Don,

Just as an FYI, Keylight installs automatically with AE CS3. However, with prior versions, you do NEED to install it from your application disc.

- Aanarav