12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2009 7:40 AM by Don Earl

No audio on inmorted mpg files

I am having problems with the audio tracks on imported mpg files. when previewing the clip, placing on the time line, or even after rendering there is no sound.
      If I use avi then there is no problem. The original mpg files do have audio, and work fine on other applications.

Any help would appreciated.
        • 1. Re: No audio on inmorted mpg files
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          There are probably several dozens, maybe even hundreds, of posts on the issues related to using MPEG clips. A forum search should turn up the needed information.
          • 2. Re: No audio on inmorted mpg files
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Based on reading a LOT of problem reports, importing files from a DVD camcorder or other MPEG device, or Ripping DVD files rarely results in success in Premiere... do not be fooled by movie industry advertising into thinking that "DVD Quality Video" is suitable for EDITING... it is not... a DVD is designed to be for PLAYBACK only... and that includes trying to edit a Standard Def MPEG or VOB file!

You should also use WAV sound files, not the compressed MP3 format

The only SD (Standard Def) files that Premiere really likes are DV AVI type 2

Go to my notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Click the internal link for editing compressed files... read, there are some ideas & links there, including some links to other programs that have been mentioned in the Premiere forum as being better suited to editing MPG files

If you only have DVD type files, you should convert to DV AVI or use different software... go to the VideoHelp link in my notes and look for a program to convert... but do be aware that converting from a HIGHLY compressed viewing format back to an editing format is going to cause a drop in quality

PS - To work with AC3 files in Premiere, it MAY work to copy the ad2ac3dec.dll file from the Encore DVD directory into the Premiere directory
            • 3. Re: No audio on inmorted mpg files
              (Renee_Chevalier)
              WARNING Do not buy Adobe Premiere Pro C 3 it is not supported by ADOBE. When looking to purchase PP from adobe I called the customer support and asked questions specific to my needs.
              1 will this program import mpeg video picture and sound from a Sony Hard Drive camera.
              2 Will it edit HD footage from a Sony HD Hard Drive camera? Will it import that footage and can you work on it directly.
              I was told yes to both questions.
              I now have a product that will not work or do those things.
              I searched for hours for information on this subject but found nothing. I finally called Adobe support and I am now very upset after spending hours and hours on this and over 2 hours on the phone I find out that there are no codecs installed or downloadable that will work with the program. The one I did find and install froze the program and I had to re-install it.
              • 4. Re: No audio on inmorted mpg files
                (Renee_Chevalier) Level 1
                To answer
                John T Smith - 8:26pm Feb 19, 08 PST (#2 of 3)
                ADOBE had support for the SONY MPEG Hard Drive format in PP CS2 but chose to not support the format in CS 3.
                WHY NOT
                I edit all kinds of movie footage and find that supporting them is very important. WHY because often files do not come to us in a format we would like them to come in. BUT we have to use that footage.
                So Solution when developing a program to sell you put all the bells and whistles in it.
                ADOBE can not expect to sell to the public if they do not listen to the users. and they stopped listening.
                Now they say they will issue a patch sometime for HD import into ADOBE. Wow isn't that big of them BUT Hours of time spent on this lousy program and tons of money on books because I must be doing something wrong but what do I find out ADOBE just didn't put in the codecs or programs or filters.
                No I am not a harsh person normally but in this case ADOBE deserves a good toung lashing for its lack of concern for the consumer. Weather or not Sony should have developed a standard for HD is not the question the question is why didn't ADOBE choose to support the what now is the STANDARD in HD?
                • 5. Re: No audio on inmorted mpg files
                  Level 1
                  Here is the solution:

If you've got Encore CS3 installed , copy the file ad2ac3dec.dll from the Encore CS3 directory and paste it into the PPro CS3 root directory. Once you restart CS3, you'll be able to import the file with the audio. This means if you've already have a project with the files imported, you'll need to remove the files from the project and then re-import them, or just start over with a new project.

Eddie, you're right. PPro doesn't import files with an AC3 extension, but it did import ac3 audio embedded in mpeg files from DVD camcorders. The ad2mcac3dec.dll that was included in 2.0 allowed those ac3 files to import as stereo (but not 5.1). It looks like that functionality was removed or broken in Premiere Pro CS3, but the functionality still exists in Encore CS3. You can copy the file over from Enc to PPro and get the functionality back. You may end up breaking something else, but it does work to allow the AC3 audio stream in the mpeg file to import.

Now aren't you glad that they decided to bundle Encore with Premiere Pro?
                  • 6. Re: No audio on inmorted mpg files
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    Top of every page says user to user so asking me (another user) why Adobe did or did not do something is really a waste of time
                    • 7. Re: No audio on inmorted mpg files
                      is there any place that i can get step by step instructions on how to do this? I am fearful i will do it wrong and make matters worse?
                      • 8. Re: No audio on inmorted mpg files
                        sheryl fillmon Level 1
                        jes, go to your "My Computer" Click on the C drive, or wherever APP was installed, it's almost always on the C drive. Click on "Program Files"> Click on "Adobe"> click on "Adobe Encore CS3"> here is where you'll find the ad2ac3dec.dll. Highlight it by clicking on it then right click and hit copy.

Hit "Back" and click on "Adobe Premiere Pro CS3" you'll notice a long list of similar extensions, and just paste what you copied into this folder.
                        • 9. Re: No audio on inmorted mpg files
                          sheryl fillmon Level 1
                          If you have problems, which i currently am with audio, contact me. rick.tomlin@abilenetx.com
                          • 10. Re: No audio on inmorted mpg files
                            Don Earl

Adobe PPro 4.1 update fixed this issue.  You may have to delete the .xmp files from the project folder then reimport the footage back into the project.  Worked for me.

• 11. Re: No audio on inmorted mpg files
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

The 4.1 update doesn't apply to CS3 users, though Don.

• 12. Re: No audio on inmorted mpg files
                                Don Earl Level 1

But now that they know PPro 4.1 fixes these problems they may be more inclined to upgrade to CS4.