10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2009 10:26 AM by the_wine_snob

Saving Titles

I've recently upgraded to CS3 and have found an irritating problem that wasn't present in 1.5

I would like to be able to just alter a previously used title then save it as a new one, thus retaining the original thats used earlier on the timeline. CS3 requests a title name first and then automatically saves it as your designing it, rather then the usual 'File - Save as -' etc. The problems being that you have then just altered the original title you've used previously.

Q. Is there a way of opening a previously used title, but saving it as a different name so the original doesn't change? It's just quicker than keep setting up your fonts/sizes/shadows etc, every time you need a new one.

I look forward to your comments.

Luke
        • 1. Re: Saving Titles
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          The work flow is slightly different, but also more efficient. Before changing the title you just opened, you would create a New Title Based on Current Title. (There's a button for this in the top left corner.)
          • 2. Re: Saving Titles
            Level 1
            Hi Jim,

I'll take a look, thank you.

Luke
            • 3. Re: Saving Titles
              shooternz Level 6
              ...and if you need the Title in another project(s) you are now forced to go through the process of "Exporting" it. This is not done from the Titler Window as one might expect. It is done from the Project Window and the Export Menu. (efficient?)
              • 4. Re: Saving Titles
                Level 1
                Again, Thank you.

Luke
                • 5. Re: Saving Titles
                  Level 1
                  Save yourself the pain and hassle. Create your titles in photoshop and after effects.
                  • 6. Re: Saving Titles
                    shooternz Level 6
                    What pain & hassle? - the Titler is great (with a few little idiosyncracies/annoyances).

The pain to me would be to work in PS and not be able to see the image I was Titling over (in movement and without safe action/title areas etc)
                    • 7. Re: Saving Titles
                      nascars007

Thanks For this thread So I guess a Lil Tweek in

my workflow but this will work in the long run

With a title Folder where I will put every Title I create.

• 8. Re: Saving Titles
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The one current limitation on the Titler files is that they are in .PRTL format. PrPro can read these well. To my knowledge, no other program, Adobe, or other, can open a .PRTL. I hope that soon Photoshop-Extended will add that format.

Until then, Saving the Title to your selected folder works fine. When I have Titles, that have universal use, I do just that, and then use Title>From Template>User Titles (or similar syntax) to Open my "template" Title in PrPro's Titler, base my new Title on that, or just edit it. The edited version will be in PrPro's Project Panel. I usually Rename, as I do not want a "Berry_Text_Title," or similar, in my current Project.

Now, going back up-thread a bit, I do most of my Titles in PS, using the appropriate Image Preset to match my Project. Where placement of the Title will be an issue, I just do a Frame-Export from PrPro and bring that into the PS Image, as an additional guide. I only have to either remove, or turn Visibility OFF, when I Save_As (using .PSD) for Import into PrPro. Works a treat, but there is that extra step of getting my "guide image." Also, I often Layer my Titles in PS and then back in PrPro Import>As Sequence, and animate my Layers with Keyframed Effects in PrPro.

Still, Titler has quite a bit of power, and for simple Titles, I'll use it extensively.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Saving Titles
                          Colin-B Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

To my knowledge, no other program, Adobe, or other, can open a .PRTL.

I wish they would publish the file format. I'd love to create titles programmatically.

• 10. Re: Saving Titles
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I keep hoping that it will be added to Photoshop-Extended. So far, nothing.

Hunt