2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2008 7:52 AM by John T Smith

part of mpeg2 cut off after import

Hi,

I'am importing an mpeg2-movie to Premiere Pro CS3 3.1.1. When importing it the first time, it shows the correct length in the project-window. After "adjusting" (automatic process after import) the length is reduced from 1:37h to 0:11h. When I import the same movie again, the part of the movie beyond 0:11h is cut off from the beginning.

Does anyone know what to do, to get the whole movie into Premiere?

Thanks,
      Alex
        • 1. Re: part of mpeg2 cut off after import
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Looks like an unsuitable file for editing. Try another application.
          • 2. Re: part of mpeg2 cut off after import
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Based on reading a LOT of problem reports, importing files from a DVD camcorder or other MPEG device, or Ripping DVD files rarely results in success in Premiere... do not be fooled by movie industry advertising into thinking that "DVD Quality Video" is suitable for EDITING... it is not... a DVD is designed to be for PLAYBACK only... and that includes trying to edit a Standard Def MPEG or VOB file!

You should also use WAV sound files, not the compressed MP3 format

The only SD (Standard Def) files that Premiere really likes are DV AVI type 2

Go to my notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Click the internal link for editing compressed files... read, there are some ideas & links there, including some links to other programs that have been mentioned in the Premiere forum as being better suited to editing MPG files

If you only have DVD type files, you should convert to DV AVI or use different software... go to the VideoHelp link in my notes and look for a program to convert... but do be aware that converting from a HIGHLY compressed viewing format back to an editing format is going to cause a drop in quality