10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2010 11:44 AM by shooternz

Importing Xvid/Divx files

I have Premiere Pro CS3 and I've successfully imported my xvid/divx avi files into them. However they're playing very jerky and I'm not sure what's wrong. Does anyone know what settings I should use or anything I can do to fix this and have them play normally?
        • 1. Re: Importing Xvid/Divx files
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Those highly compressed files are not suitable for editing in Premiere

Convert to DV AVI Type 2
          • 2. Re: Importing Xvid/Divx files
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            My advice is to just not edit them, at least not with Premiere Pro. You might use a consumer tool to try and do it.
            • 3. Re: Importing Xvid/Divx files
              DigitalSoju Level 1

How is it that an $800 program like Premiere Pro cs4 can't even open up divx files properly, yet Windows Movie Maker can! Shame on adobe.

• 4. Re: Importing Xvid/Divx files
                shooternz Level 6

Read the "PRO" part of Premiere as in PremierePro

Pros dont have any need to edit amateur distribution format media so....

...Movie Maker is provided so that amateurs can play with making movies.

• 5. Re: Importing Xvid/Divx files
                  DigitalSoju Level 1

A real "pro" should be able to handle anything, especially the basics. Have you ever met a pro at anything that couldn't handle the basics?

And who's to say they don't need to edit amateur distribution formats? If a client asks a professional editor to work with those kinds of files because that's the only format he has it in, then the video editor has no choice. There are also dozens of other scenarios why one would need to work with those kinds of files. You're giving a weak excuse for a $800 movie program that should be able to handle it.

• 6. Re: Importing Xvid/Divx files
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

You don't get the point. If a client comes to you with a pack of apple juice (Xvid or DivX) and asks you to edit it so he will end up with 2 fresh apples, you can be the pro you want and have all kinds of pro tools at your disposal, it just is not possible. A pro would tell the client it can't be done or only with a lot of effort and time to get any result that is lousy in quality.

Xvid and DivX have been compressed so heavily, that a lot of original quality has been lost irretrievably. If you really want to edit that, convert to MS DV AVI type2, edit and export to something. It does not matter what export format you choose, the result will make your ophthalmologist happy and give everybody else a headache.

IMO no pro would accept such an assignment.

• 7. Re: Importing Xvid/Divx files
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      A real "pro" should be able to handle anything, especially the basics

As a real "pro," I can handle those delivery-only formats, and do so easily. First, I try to explain to my clients how bad this material is, and even give them examples of what the edits will look like. Often, this gets them spurred to go back to before the Xvid/DivX conversion and compression. If I cannot convince them of this wisdom, or they cannot access material a few generations up the food-chain, then I just use a conversion program, that will handle mixed materials and do batch conversion. I happily edit away (well, not much happiness regarding the resultant quality loss from the extreme compression of Xvid/DivX). No problems at all.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Importing Xvid/Divx files
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is similar to the question that is asked at least weekly over in the Acrobat forum

"I was given a PDF... how do I convert it to MS Word (or Excel... or whatever) so I may edit?"

The LONG answer is you do so, with many stumbles, using many procedures (some in Acrobat, others 3rd party or just copy & paste from the PDF to Word) but that nothing works really easily

The SHORT answer is... "Think of your original document as sand & water & cement... you may mix'n'match the components any way you want... now think of the PDF as concrete poured into a sidewalk... it is not MEANT to be mixed, it is now in a final format that is very difficult to break apart"

There are edit formats and there are delivery formats... trying to edit a delivery format just is not going to work very well

• 9. Re: Importing Xvid/Divx files
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I like your analogy. I was going to use a petro-chem analogy, where crude oil is cracked to produce many substances. Along that cracking chain, gasoline is derived and it powers one's auto. Higher up the crack, is Benzene. It's from the same crude oil, but will NOT run your auto. Xvid/DivX is like Benzene.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Importing Xvid/Divx files
                            shooternz Level 6

DigitalSoju wrote:

A real "pro" should be able to handle anything, especially the basics. Have you ever met a pro at anything that couldn't handle the basics?

A real "pro" does not want to deal with crappy material and put out a crappy job .  Whether a real pro can do it or cant do it is irrelevant because doing it , is the fastest way to lose the "pro" status.

That notwithstanding...if its all you have got from your client ...you should convert it and use it.

(I reckon if I had the first and only shot of martians landing on earth...I wouldnt be worrying what format it  was shot or provided on)