22 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2007 3:49 AM by mike velte

Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...

I am curious how you all export to Apple TV format. There still seems to be no direct way to export out of the CS3 timeline direct to QuickTime's Apple TV export.

Do you export out of Premiere then load into QuickTime? Is there a plug-in that works with Premiere to allow iPod and Apple TV export?

Do you use an intermediate format? Or just alter the media encoder presets?

Let me know..love to hear some solutions..thanks!

Frank
        • 1. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
          ArrrBee Level 1
          Any video I do for Apple TV and iPod I save as a full resolution AVI file. I
          then use QuickTime Pro to load that AVI file and then have QuickTime Pro
          export it for Apple TV. This works perfectly for me and gives me the best
          quality I have seen for both Apple TV and iPod even though going the Export
          for Apple TV option gives you a 640x480 resolution and the iPod is 320x240.
          Apple actually recommends 640x480 for both Apple TV and iPod now.

Even if Adobe was to add a direct export to iPod or export to Apple TV I
          would still go the above route. I have more faith that Apple has it right
          for their own products more than I do that Adobe does. As a case in point
          TechSmith's Camtasia screen recording software has an iPod export option.
          However, if you use that you will get a podcast of such poor quality you
          will wonder what happened. So just because some program has "support" for
          iPod or Apple TV doesn't mean they are doing it right. QuickTime on the
          other hand will.

Robert
          • 2. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
            I've always relied on creating the intermediate file. For regular video I do the .avi format as well, and for HD footage I tried every format I could think of that would be "too" compressed AND still be able to be opened by a third party encoder.

I found StreamClip to be the best for encoding videos in both regular and HD format.

I deploy video in many formats and sizes, and StreamClip has lots of presets, and will allow you set the aspect in wide screen (or really any size)

The biggest selling point was it also deinterlaces video. I never liked the way PP 2.0 would deinterlaces, so I alway exported my intermediate file as interlaced and let StreamClip deinterlace it. I am a little happier with the way CS3 deinterlaces.

I have found using Quicktime to encode the files, they are generally bulkier, and you its a challenge to tweak the compression vs quality. It's slower and actually adjusting

StreamClip is made for both Mac and PC, and I have both going here. The PC version is buggier, and I actually went out and got a Mac just to encode with movies with StreamClip on it. It's very stable on the Mac and does a beautiful job outputing the vids in three ipod and Apple TV sizes

Now, has any of you iPhone users noticed that the screen dimmenstions for their new "wide screen" screens dont scale down to a true widecreen size?
            • 3. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
              Level 1
              Oops, I forgot to mention that the intermediate file I use for HD is MPEG-2. StreamClip could open the format, scale and deinterlace it to iPod an Apple TV sizes.
              • 4. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                Level 1
                Frank,

I am not in front of my system right now, but I think that PPRO CS3 does have specific export presets. I wish I could confirm at this moment, but send me an email and I'll get back to you and post it here as well.

- Aanarav
                • 5. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                  Level 1
                  You absolutely CAN export straight to iPod in CS3, and it actually works pretty good. Go to File>Export>Adobe Media Encoder. In the Adobe Media Encoder, select "H.264" as the Format. Once H.264 is selected as the format, a few different iPod presets will show up from the drop down. From here, you can also export for youtube, myspace video, etc. Here's a link to a free video podcast on the subject:

http://media.libsyn.com/media/allthingsadobe/CHAD-iPod.mp4
                  • 6. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                    ArrrBee Level 1
                    <Chad_Perkins@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:3bc4912f.4@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> You absolutely CAN export straight to iPod in CS3, and it actually works <br />> pretty good. Go to File>Export>Adobe Media Encoder. In the Adobe Media <br />> Encoder, select "H.264" as the Format. Once H.264 is selected as the <br />> format, a few different iPod presets will show up from the drop down. From <br />> here, you can also export for youtube, myspace video, etc. Here's a link <br />> to a free video podcast on the subject:<br /><br /><br />Unfortunately, none of those render the video correctly for the iPod or <br />Apple TV (there is no preset for Apple TV). Even Apple recommends 640-x480 <br />min. for the iPod and Apple TV not the 320x200 that most programs seem to <br />do. This is why I go through QuickTime Pro is does the job right and with <br />much less hassle.<br /><br />Robert
                    • 7. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                      Level 1
                      Lots of great tips! I guess there is not direct Apple TV export, so an intermediate seems like the way to go.

Bryan you mentioned MPEG-2...interesting. Robert you said AVI..I would imagine the files are pretty big?

I am doing HD or HDV so its 1440 or 1920..these shows are 10-15 minutes so its impractical to save an uncompressed intermediate, the files would be too large to archive. So I am basically wondering what everyone is using to save their digital master. I don't mind a little bit of loss-ness...HD has enough fidelity that I can save a compressed version. I use Final Cut now mainly because Apple has really focused on great intermediate solutions. Even their new suite has ProRes 422 which is excellent for visually lossless archiving masters. Trying to find a good Premiere solution that is a balance between file size and quality. Something I can drop into QT Pro to export to Apple TV. I have been using MPEG-4 Quicktime (exported from EXPORT, not the media encoder) and its created great looking files..but wanted to see what other ideas people had...

Frank
                      • 8. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                        Curt Wrigley Level 4
                        > Unfortunately, none of those render the video correctly for the iPod or Apple TV (there is no preset for Apple TV). Even Apple recommends 640-x480 min.

Not true. The PPRO CS3 IPOD export had two presets for ipod. Large and small. The large exports at 640x480. And of course, these are just suggested presets. You can tweek them as desired.

Curt
                        • 9. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                          ArrrBee Level 1
                          The AVI can be but I don't compress them. I do them full size with no
                          compression. I leave the resize and compression up to QuickTime Pro. I see
                          little point in compressing twice. I want the best quality possible. Now
                          keep in mind that I am talking about Camtasia screen recordings to AVI to
                          QuickTime Pro m4v for AppleTV and iPod.

However, if Premier supports AVI and it does then you should be able to
                          choose a non-compression or low-compression option. Camtasia uses their own
                          codec designed for screen recordings so you don't get the blur, it also uses
                          low/no compression (I have asked and have never gotten an answer as to which
                          it is no/low compression).

However, I have found the workflow I use to work quite well.

Robert
                          • 10. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                            ArrrBee Level 1
                            I didn't know about the large being 640x480 I figured it meant less
                            compression. As for tweaking unforunately if you don't know what you are
                            doing you can end up with files that aren't AppleTV or iPod friendly. This
                            is something I don't have to worry about using QuickTime Pro to do the final
                            conversion to AppleTV/iPod friendly.

Robert
                            • 11. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                              Level 1
                              I agree...there are several parameters that need to be just right for ipod, apple tv compression (bit rate is a good example, a little too high and it won't play on the device) so I always like to use QT Pro because it gets it right every time.

Apple recommends 640x480 for Apple TV because its compatible with the iPod. I think initially they pushed the higher res sizes because it looked great on Apple TV..however they must have gotten slammed when so many users probably wrote to their tech support saying "The video podcast I downloaded from iTunes does not play on my iPod". Hence they sent an email to all podcasters a month or so ago recommending to NOT use the highest res sizes. I just do two feeds, I produce a video podcast called Rumor Girls, we have a regular feed and we have a Rumor Girls HD feed..the HD podcast will not play on an iPod but looks great on Apple TV. I want to upgrade my HD camcorder to a 24 fps unit, then there is an even higher Apple Tv supported res I can use for increased resolution.

As for AVI...the work I do would produce a file way too huge to save as uncompressed AVI. I am sure Microsoft is not developing AVI anymore as it does not seem to be a market they want to enter (unlike Apple pushing QT to editors) however it would be great to see a company like Adobe coming up with an intermediate file format..it would be a huge hit.

Any other suggestions..please post..lots of great info on this thread...

Frank
                              • 12. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                                Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                I suggest trying the ipod presets in ame. Its easy enough to test. I f you like it, it eliminates a step in your workflow. Export directly to ipod from the ppro timeline.
                                • 13. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                                  Level 1
                                  I have not had great results with the adobe media encoder..I assume it bypasses quicktime pro? That is perhaps the reason there is not any apple tv export options?
                                  • 14. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                                    Level 1
                                    I should clarify...I have had excellent results with other formats like windows media in ame..but when i start to do ipod formats it does not seem as good as QT pro..but maybe I am missing something
                                    • 15. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                                      ArrrBee Level 1
                                      Well, I would kill if I could do an export to Apple TV/iPod from Camtasia
                                      without the AVI step. However, they provide a preset for iPod but don't
                                      allow you to adjust the settings and the end quality is just sucky on the
                                      AppleTV. It goes to 320x200 which just doesn't look that good. I am trying
                                      to get TechSmith (the makers of Camtasia) to wake up and fix the problem.
                                      Until they do I have to go AVI. There is no other format besides AVI that I
                                      have found that works all that well. So AVI to QuickTime is the way to go
                                      for now.

Now from Premiere you may have other options to choose from before you go to
                                      QuickTime and even a little compression at that stage maybe just fine.
                                      However, screen captures from software is a very hard to do if you want to
                                      be able to see the icons and read the text so I have to go no compression
                                      because even a small amount means a screen you can read.

BTW I do tutorials and video reviews. So screen recordings are important.

Robert
                                      • 16. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                                        ArrrBee Level 1
                                        I am Amazed that Adobe didn't do more for iPod and Apple TV. I guess they
                                        felt low quality small YouTube and Yahoo Video files were more important. I
                                        don't agree but what can you do.

Robert
                                        • 17. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                                          Chad et al, hoping someone can save the day here-- I've seen many references to "H.264" format in Premiere's CS3 Adobe Media Encoder, as well as actually seeing it in action in Chad's podcast that he linked here (nice job Chad), but I've got one problem and one question:

(1) The problem is my trial version of Premiere CS3 does NOT show that option (I went to FILE/EXPORT/ADOBE MEDIA CONVERTER and get QuickTime, Real, etc, but not H.264 in the "Format" drop-down at top). Actually, none of the BlueRay or other options show up there, just Flash, Quicktime, Real, and Windows Media. Any ideas if I have CS3 installed incorrectly, or are those extra format features just not in the trial version?

(2) Assuming someone can help me get the H.264 format option to show-up, can someone tell me if the YouTube format can automatically select the best encoding parameters for a given length of video? In other words, if today I want to encode a 10 minute video for YouTube, and tomorrow I want to encode a 5 minute video for YouTube, will CS3's Adobe Media Encoder adjust it for the "best" output (e.g., higher datarate for shorter video) or just use a "one-size-fits-all" static YouTube setting?

Thanks much in advance,
                                          KV
                                          • 18. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                            H.264 is a version of MPEG, which is not included in the trial.
                                            • 19. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                                              Level 1
                                              Jim thanx much for the fast reply. Actually good news 'cause I thought I had an installation problem.

Anyone know if this is H.264/MPEG option gets enabled in the *downloaded* version once purchased, or would I have to purchase the CD/DVD version?

BTW I've done a search for this info on Adobe's site regarding the differences between the trial and retail version, but only found references to "fully functional" for their trial version (which apparently isn't the case :-).

Thanks again,
                                              KV
                                              • 20. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                                                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                                Buying via download or DVD (no CD) is a choice of delivery medium... the product is the same

HOWEVER !!!

The download version does require extra steps

FAQ article Converting Download Trial to Registered (read subject How do I convert a trial version to a version for unrestricted use?)
                                                • 21. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                                                  Level 1
                                                  John, thanx for the info and link!
                                                  • 22. Re: Apple TV / iPod workflow? Still No Export?...
                                                    mike velte Level 1
                                                    KV;

Try File>Export>Adobe Media Encoder, then Choose Quicktime as the Format and H264 as the Video Codec.