8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2008 1:38 AM by akribie

Adding frames

Im am doing simple cuts to various clips and when I playback (rendered) the program seems to replay frames. Everything set at 25fps. This is happening on two different machines. Would appreciate any help is a very important school project
        • 1. Re: Adding frames
          akribie Level 2
          You will have to explain your problem more clearly. What do you mean by 'replay frames'?
          • 2. Re: Adding frames
            Eddie Lotter Level 4
            If frames are being repeated during transitions please see:
            http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Transitions

Cheers
            Eddie
            http://ppro.wikia.com/ The PremiereProPedia
            • 3. Re: Adding frames
              Level 1
              Sorry, I will try to explain more clearly. I have edited some video, just simple trims and cuts, no transitions. When I play through the video it repeats some of the video. for instance, I have video of people going up a chairlift, it jumps back and plays a few frames that were just played. I tried with another video this time someone playing guitar, just simple cuts again, and the same thing is happening and this is on a different computer.
              • 4. Re: Adding frames
                akribie Level 2
                This is not normal behaviour, so I am having to guess what might be going on.

Are you using DV source footage? If not, what format is it?

Are all your clips on the same track or on several? If on different tracks, have you examined the timeline at maximum zoom to see if there is some overlap that can't be seen at normal scale?

Have you checked the clips from the timeline in the clip window (double click clip on timeline) to make sure that your cuts are in the right place and the anomalies are not in the clips themselves?

Have you rendered the timeline if there is a need to render?

What other hints can you offer about your clips, project settings and timeline layout?

Do the anomalies remain if you place the work area bar exactly over one anomaly clip and hit ENTER to render and replay?
                • 5. Re: Adding frames
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  This seems to happen when people try editing video that was not intended for editing, things like Divx or other compressed media. Does that apply here, Kez?
                  • 6. Re: Adding frames
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Probably a good call, Jim. I've seen similar with MPG source and attribute it to the GOP structure.

Hunt
                    • 7. Re: Adding frames
                      Level 1
                      The video came from my camcorder which i imported onto the comp, however the file it downloaded as was a mpeg, i just changed the file extention. Would this be the problem. Should I be using a special program to change the files to one that premiere will accept. Please excuse my lack of knowledge
                      • 8. Re: Adding frames
                        akribie Level 2
                        Is it a DV camcorder? If so, capture using FireWire in DV format and Premiere will edit just fine.

If you are stuck with MPEG, then download VirtualDubMPEG2 from http://home.comcast.net/~fcchandler/stable/index.html and convert the clips to Type 2 DV AVI. Then you'll be able to edit in Premiere Pro.

Premiere Elements can edit MPEG much better than Pro (strange, but true), which would avoid the need for conversion.