9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2008 3:06 PM by Jeff Bellune

No Sound with imported divx avi's

Although I can find no reference to this in this forum, it appears to be a common problem. I am using latest Premiere Pro and latest divx codex, so I am at a lost as to why I cannot hear sound and what to do to resolve same.
        • 1. Re: No Sound with imported divx avi's
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Don't use DivX or use another program.
          • 2. Re: No Sound with imported divx avi's
            Eddie Lotter Level 4
            See also:
            http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ%3aHow_do_I_import_%E2%80%9Cxyz%E2%80%9D_format_files%3F

Cheers
            Eddie
            http://ppro.wikia.com The PremiereProPedia
            • 3. Re: No Sound with imported divx avi's
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              >find no reference to this in this forum

I guess the search engine stopped working the day you looked... there are literally hundreds of messages concerning divx problems

Based on reading a LOT of problem reports, importing files from a DVD camcorder or other MPEG device, or trying to edit divx, or Ripping DVD files rarely results in success in Premiere... do not be fooled by movie industry advertising into thinking that "DVD Quality Video" is suitable for EDITING... it is not... a DVD is designed to be for PLAYBACK only... and that includes trying to edit a Standard Def MPEG or VOB file!

You should also use WAV sound files, not the compressed MP3 format

The only SD (Standard Def) files that Premiere really likes are DV AVI type 2

Go to my notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Click the internal link for editing compressed files... read, there are some ideas & links there, including some links to other programs that have been mentioned in the Premiere forum as being better suited to editing MPG files

If you only have DVD type files, you should convert to DV AVI or use different software... go to the VideoHelp link in my notes and look for a program to convert... but do be aware that converting from a HIGHLY compressed viewing format back to an editing format is going to cause a drop in quality
              • 4. Re: No Sound with imported divx avi's
                Hello,

I have an audio problem as well.
                I'm relatively new to editing. I edited a video on Adobe Premier Pro CS3. The volume for all of the clips was audible in Premier. Now when I transferredd to DVD, I can't hear some of the audio. Specifically, I can not hear the parts where I used the on camera mic. The hz for that was 32 and the hz for everything else was 48. Can anyone tell me if I can fix this problem without having to reshoot the footage?
                Theoriginalal file is an avi. I set the audio preset to 48hz. I encoded as MPEG2 SVCD and then I burned a DVD-R using Nero. When I was burning on Nero I believe the audio setting was 44.1khz. I need this to be played on TVs. Can anyone help?

Thank you

Carla
                • 5. Re: No Sound with imported divx avi's
                  Level 1
                  Hello,

I'm relatively new to editing. I edited a video on Adobe Premier Pro CS3. The volume for all of the clips was audible in Premier. Now when I transfered to DVD, I can't hear some of the audio. Specifically, I can not hear the parts where I used the on camera mic. The hz for that was 32 and the hz for everything else was 48. Can anyone tell me if I can fix this problem without having to reshoot the footage?
                  The orignal file is an avi. I set the audio preset to 48hz. I encoded as MPEG2 SVCD and then I burned a DVD-R using Nero. I believe when I burned the DVD the audio was 44.1khz. I need this to be played on TVs. Can anyone help? Everything was going well up until now.

Thank you,

Carla
                  • 6. Re: No Sound with imported divx avi's
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    You should ask only once, Carla (speaking of here and the new thread). We'll get to you if we can help.
                    • 7. Re: No Sound with imported divx avi's
                      who can help me with the no audio importing with the video on adobe pro cs3?
                      • 8. Re: No Sound with imported divx avi's
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        Nobody. Due to the lack of details.
                        • 9. Re: No Sound with imported divx avi's
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                          Convert your divx avi to dv avi using VirtualDub. Then edit the dv avi files in Premiere Pro.