20 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2008 4:23 AM by (Adrian_South)

Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC

ECS_1 Level 1
      Hi

Have just invested in a huge 8 x 3.0GHZ PC, and have installed CS3. The red bar shows up for absolutely everything except raw footage. Even a cross dissolve or a speed change results in the red bar. A 10 second cross dissolve only takes about 5 seconds, which is pretty quick, but I was expecting no red bar at all for material of this kind.

Using Premiere Pro 1.5 as I did previously, I seem to recall a lot of basic effects could be done with no red bar showing.

Do I need to change some settings or am I stuck with the red bar?

thks

ed
        • 1. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
          shooternz Level 6
          The red bar does not always affect the edit process or playback speed (eg transitions and many effects).I can easily playback a timeline with a lot of red bar displayed. I just hit Enter when it suits me.

Is that the case in your instance?

At some time you will need to render transitions and effects.

BTW - the GPU also can assist greatly with many render functions.
          • 2. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
            ECS_1 Level 1
            It plays in realtime, but only in wireframe quality. But the rendering is so fast (i.e. 10 second transitions render in less than 10 seconds) so I wonder why it needs to render at all.

And like I said, my understanding was that if your PC was fast enough, Premiere would do a lot of stuff in real time with no need to render.
            • 3. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
              Level 1
              To my knowledge PP CS3 offers realtime previews only not true RT back to tape. You will always have red bars when an effect is applied because you never know if PP CS3 will drop frames. Below is info that is in your manual for PP CS3.

To choose a Quality setting: In the Source or Program view's pop-up menu, choose a Quality setting:

Highest Quality displays video in the Monitor window at full resolution.

Draft Quality displays video in the Monitor window at one-half resolution.

Automatic Quality measures playback performance and dynamically adjusts quality.

Note: Regardless of the Quality setting, the image in the Monitor window is processed at a lower quality than when you export the video. All Quality settings use a bilinear pixel resampling method to resize the video image and do not process interlaced fields, if present. For exporting a sequence, however, Adobe Premiere Pro uses a cubic resampling method (which is superior to bilinear) and processes fields.
              • 4. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
                ECS_1 Level 1
                I have the PC connected by firewire to a DV recorder and preview via that machine onto a monitor. Regardless of whether I have the preview set to high quality or automatic, the red bar is there.

I seem to read everywhere about the real time effects which are native in Premiere Pro - so where are they?
                • 5. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
                  Level 1
                  Like I said PP CS3 is for previews only. I admit they may look almost as good a a fully rendered renditions in the NTSC monitor but they are not true RT to OHCI.I imagine PP CS4 will be true RT and not just previews. Vegas, FCP and most other programs work the same way as PP CS3. Edius by Canopus is true RT with OHCI only and has been that way for years. Edius is vey poweful but the GUI is a bit odd. Try the 30 trial.
                  • 6. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
                    shooternz Level 6
                    Understand Rendering.

Think of Photoshop (or other image manipulation app.) If you change the image (ie add fx or layers ) it has to produce that as a new image somehow. Thats a render. IN the case of motion images...its lots of new images. New is the operative word (ie render).

Playback in real time is another matter and can often be handled by the processors. Eventually for an output of new images/audio you will need to render to something.

The Red Bar does nort seem to worry your playback so forget about it until the timeline playback speed tells you to hit 'ENTER'.
                    • 7. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
                      ECS_1 Level 1
                      Sure, but a lot of these things are done in realtime to DV with hardware accelerator cards, so clearly it is possible. I was under the impression that improved processor speed made up for the lack of a hardware accelerator. And like I said, if I'm not mistaken, I remember Premiere Pro 1.5 happily sending a cross dissolve out through firewire on my laptop without having to render it. So why not in CS3?
                      • 8. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
                        Thrill Media Level 2
                        I hear what your sayin'! I thought when I got my Quad core that everything would be great and realtime. PP CS3 seems severely antiquated in this respect. FCP can do it on a Mac. Avid, Vegas, Speed Edit and others can do it on a PC. This has been one of the hardest things for me to understand coming from different editors. Why some have realtime capabilities and others don't. With Speed Edit for example you have realtime everything, color correction, blurs, transitions, etc...just make a change and hit the spacebar and it works. It also has realtime waveform and vectorscopes that work! Hopefully Adobe can fix these shortcomings in CS4. :(
                        • 9. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
                          > happily sending a cross dissolve out through firewire

My dissolves works fine in CS3 to my monitor...

Your laptop sucks.
                          • 10. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
                            Level 1
                            > With Speed Edit for example you have realtime everything, color correction, blurs, transitions, etc...just make a change and hit the spacebar and it works. It also has realtime waveform and vectorscopes that work

Then why are you not using it!!!????
                            • 11. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
                              Thrill Media Level 2
                              I do use it sometimes but I like the integration that the CS3 suite offers. (I use AE a lot as well.) It just depends on the project. Why? Am I not allowed to talk about Premiere's weaknesses? I like a lot of things about PP but it is definitely the weakest link in the CS3 suite. My hope would be that customer feedback would help improve the next version, that's all.
                              • 12. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
                                Level 1
                                > Am I not allowed to talk about Premiere's weaknesses?. My hope would be that customer feedback would help improve the next version, that's all.

Then do it through the right channels. Feature/bug request/reports... http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Nobody cares here about how you feel. This is place to try and help people with problems not to troll and rant.
                                • 13. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  > I remember Premiere Pro 1.5 happily sending a cross dissolve out through firewire on my laptop without having to render it. So why not in CS3?

I have to second Adrian's comment. Just because there's a red line doesn't mean it won't play back in real time. It just means it might not, depending on your system. Mine is not nearly as good and many effects play real time. And all transitions do. I can't believe your 8 core performs worse than my P4.
                                  • 14. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
                                    Phil Griffith Level 2
                                    Maybe Adrian is right, I don't know. I do know that there is a better way of saying it than telling someone that they or their laptop sucks. Or saying that no one here cares how they feel. this is the second time this week that I have seen this from Adrian. I think in the last post from you to someone else you stated "sucks to be you" .
                                    Well I would say the same about you.
                                    If it's not the place to "troll and rant", then it's not the place for this kind of attitude either.
                                    Just my 2 cents.
                                    • 15. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
                                      Thrill Media Level 2
                                      I have already done that Adrian, in the feature requests link and I also posted some comments under the "CS4" thread on this forum. I live by using these Adobe products daily so, I don't consider myself a troll. Cheers!
                                      • 16. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
                                        Level 1
                                        Can somebody explain what the red bar is ?

I'm assuming it some sort of "wait" indicator, telling you that PP is calculating ?

I have never seen this, I guess because my edits and footage is not as complex, but I'm still curious as to what this is.

Thanks,

Dave.
                                        • 17. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
                                          ECS_1 Level 1
                                          Thanks Jim - you're right, when I force it to preview in High Quality as opposed to Automatic, a lot of the effects including cross dissolves do play in real time. However, it's still annoying that Premiere doesn't seem to be aware of this and thus gives me the red bar (using a Matrox system, I would only see the red bar where it could not play in real time, so many effects including cross dissolve would show no red bar at all).
                                          • 18. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
                                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                            The red bar indicates that Premiere Pro may, or may not, be able to play it back at full speed and resolution since changes where made. Rendering gets rid of the red bar, but on a fast system, you will find that rendering is something you wait to do until you take a break for a meal, or a phone call, or whatever.
                                            • 19. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                              Steve's right, Ed. Don't worry too much about that bar. It'll get taken care of during export anyway.
                                              • 20. Re: Lack of realtime onm an 8-core PC
                                                Level 1
                                                > Don't worry too much about that bar. It'll get taken care of during export anyway

My point exactly.