3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2008 6:56 AM by the_wine_snob

file size becomes huge after exporting a short movie

I am new to Premiere and have difficulty exporting my movie. I downloaded several codec and tried several, but the file size is everytime between 8 and 20 GB.

The movie is just 33 minutes, so there should not be a problem exporting it in such a way that it has high quality and can be put on a DVD.

Which codec and setting should I use to export it to let's say 2GB maximum?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: file size becomes huge after exporting a short movie
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          MPEG2 DVD video and AC3 audio. Start with DV AVI type2, around 13 GB per hour.
          • 2. Re: file size becomes huge after exporting a short movie
            Eddie Lotter Level 4
            Here you will find links to many free tutorials that will quickly show you how things are done in PPro:
            http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Category%3aTutorials

Cheers
            Eddie
            http://ppro.wikia.com The PremiereProPedia
            • 3. Re: file size becomes huge after exporting a short movie
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              LittleSistertje123,

One thing to consider is that an Exported file, in say DV-AVI (probably one of the choices that you tried) will make a file too large to fit on a DVD-5, BUT when you author the DVD, it will then be compressed to DVD specs. One method is to calculate all of your overhead and then choose the MPEG2 DVD bitrate that will be required to fit. Another is to Export DV-AVI, Import into Encore, build your Menus and then let Encore make it fit with its Automatic Transcode settings. As Harm points out DV-AVI is ~ 13GB/hour of runtime, however I've easily gotten good quality with Projects running from 1.5 - 2 hours in length. Over ~ 1hr does reduce the quality, and only your eyes can tell you if it's too much.

With 33 min. of runtime, you will be able to fit it easily, even with a bunch of Menus, Subtitles and different Audio Tracks.

If you want to do the math yourself, look into "bitrate calculators." A search of this forum should bring up dozens of articles with do's and don'ts.

Hunt