8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2008 8:34 AM by (Adrian_South)

3Minute Clip Takes 3 HOURS to encode

Miles Johnston Level 1
      Got a Dual core XPSP2 system with 2GB RAM.
      Taking THREE HOURS to make a little 3 Minute clip to Windows media (disaster area 9)

THREE MINUTES!

CS3 has been taking HOURS, often TEN or more to do straight forward encoding that Canopus would do in 0.67 real time.

But For Gods Sake THREE HOURS for a 3minute Clip, from the time line.

I have done Quicktime versions in almost realtime. But they would would not insert into Powerpoint.

Its a 16:9 project, so trying to get Windows Media to handle that is an impossible task, as Windows is stuck in 4 by 3.

What is going on, that PPro 1.5 and 2 versions will encode with "MEDIA Encoder", in almost real time, yet CS3 takes YEARS

I have built three other PCS so I can get on with other work, thanks to CS3 taking the next century to do anything.

I note your training notes all only very short clips. But I am sure a 3 MINUTE Clip should not take THREE HOURS!
        • 1. Re: 3Minute Clip Takes 3 HOURS to encode
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          >I note your training notes all only very short clips. But I am sure a 3 MINUTE Clip should not take THREE HOURS!

1. This is a User-to-User forum. As users, it's not "our training".

2. Three hours can be right if you have a lot of stuff going on in your timeline. Additionally, your aspect ratio problems indicate that project and/or export settings may be smurfed.
          • 2. Re: 3Minute Clip Takes 3 HOURS to encode
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5
            >Its a 16:9 project, so trying to get Windows Media to handle that is an impossible task, as Windows is stuck in 4 by 3.

Nonsense. Just do the math and export using square pixels at a 16:9 ratio like 512X288.
            • 3. Re: 3Minute Clip Takes 3 HOURS to encode
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              I love how the export time grew exponentially from hours to years to a century within a single post.
              • 4. Re: 3Minute Clip Takes 3 HOURS to encode
                Miles Johnston Level 1
                Actually its still exporting, (9 hours later) total time for this 3min clip is now expected as 16 hours. What would I expect if I wanted to do the whole 1hr show, abandon my PC for a week or longer.
                The issue with 16:9 material is that you have to shrink it down, as Windows will not allow 16by9. So the resolution and quality is completely lost, as you end up using only about 2/3rds the original number of lines.

So I am ending up encoding 1/3rd of my project as BLACK, to fit down to the 4by3 constraints of windows.

This is the AVI File. I have tried the timeline, but there is a Zoom in and out of a still frame, which changes its zoom/motion path, if I export /encode to windows media, as the aspect ratio is changed by this 4;3 disaster, so the picture zooms in and out to the wrong sections, it is designed for the correct original 16by 9, but with the encoding it gets its knickers in a twist and goes to the wrong areas of the image.

The lip sync also goes to pot. Tried encoding to Quciktime, but the lip sinc is so slowed, its impossible to watch.

This is a 16by 9 PAL Project. 3 Minutes of a man talking on a locked off shot, with one single zoom in and out of photograph.
                Why should it take almost a full day to encode 3 damn simple minutes, and mess up the lip sync, and fuzz up the original sharp image, to a pixelated bunch of rubbish.
                • 5. Re: 3Minute Clip Takes 3 HOURS to encode
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  > Why should it take almost a full day to encode 3 damn simple minutes, and mess up the lip sync, and fuzz up the original sharp image, to a pixelated bunch of rubbish.

b OE
                  • 6. Re: 3Minute Clip Takes 3 HOURS to encode
                    Level 1
                    Your settings are wrong, or your pc is not set up right or both.

I don't know.

A few days ago I exported a +-13 minute 1440 x 1080 HD sequence with loads of effects to an MPEG4 H.264 on full settings and it took around 2 hours...

On my Quad Core with 4GB RAM and 500GB RAID 0 array....
                    • 7. Re: 3Minute Clip Takes 3 HOURS to encode
                      Miles Johnston Level 1
                      For some reason CS3 AVI Files take ages. A completely different section of many transitions, in 16by 9, only took a few mins to do, but This section is still encoding.(12 hours plus now)
                      Obviously there is more to an AVI than just video and sound, there must be lots of other hidden code within the video.
                      I will try and see about upgrading my Canopus Pro 2, to version 3, as even it will not allow the CS3 AVI Files to transcode, so there must be some serious stuff subcoded there.

I have noticed that Adobe often wants to access the internet to send data of what I am doing to a distant server, so maybe NSA Langley is taking a copy each time I encode.
                      • 8. Re: 3Minute Clip Takes 3 HOURS to encode
                        Level 1
                        > For some reason CS3 AVI Files take ages.

This is because when exporting to AVI PPRO uses your hard drive to write the files... RAID arrays (like mine) will speed it up.