7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2008 1:05 PM by Jim_Simon

Keyframe attach to clip

Hello there.
      I am a migrating user from Premiere Elements and I am ejoying the additional capabilities while not as much enjoying the steep learning curve.

Anyway, I have created a project with a few clips in which I adjusted the audio track volume using keyframes. Basically it was a presentation and I had a lavaliere mic on the presenter and another mic on the room. There was some bad A/C rumble in the room so I adjusted the room mic track to be zero unless there was a question. So now I have everything just right but now I need to shift the clip/audio/keyframes over because of deleting some of the footage. The video/audio clips can be shifted easily and they remain linked but the keyframes stay put.

Is there a way to lock the keyframes relative to a clip? (easiest solution)
      Is there a way to shift the keyframes over and re-sync them with the audio? (next easiest)
      Do I have to redo all these things after I shift the clips over? (least fun).

Thanks for your help.

BradmanOH
        • 1. Re: Keyframe attach to clip
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          >Is there a way to lock the keyframes relative to a clip?

I actually wasn't aware that you could do anything but this. My keyframes have always and only been directly attached to the clip, so that when the clip moves, the keyframes have no choice but to follow. Not sure why that isn't so with yours.
          • 2. Re: Keyframe attach to clip
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
            You can have clip *and* track keyframes for audio tracks in PPro. The clip KF stays with the clip, and the track KF is anchored to the track.
            • 3. Re: Keyframe attach to clip
              Dan Isaacs Level 2
              I think BradmanOH is talking about trimming the beginning or end of the clip on the timeline. When you do this, they keys stay put -- and can kind of get "hidden" if you trim past them. So, you need to slide the keyframes over before you trim the clip.

I believe he's asking if you can achor the keyframes to a particular source frame in the clip. I don't know of any way to this.

** EDIT *** (I realize I didn't write what I really meant)

... if you can achor the keyframes to a particular frame on the TIMELINE or slide the keyframes at the same time you adjust the in/out of the clip.

*** END EDIT ***

It would be real handy to me also if someone knows how to accomplish this.

Is that what you mean, Brad?
              • 4. Re: Keyframe attach to clip
                Level 1
                Arggghhhh! Jeff nailed it on the head.

I made all these volume adjustments as track keyframes. I should have used clip keyframes. Now if I shift the clip, the keyframes stay anchored to the track (which makes sense as track keyframes).

If I select clip keyframes I don't see any of the adjustments that I made (which also makes sense).

So a follow up question is that is there a way to copy the track keyframes to clip keyframes . . .

I can just redo the work since it really is not that much time. I probably have spent more researching this than it would take to redo the adjustments as clip keyframes.

But hey, at least I have a really good understanding of track and clip keyframes :)

Thanks for your help.

BradmanOH
                • 5. Re: Keyframe attach to clip
                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                  You're welcome. :)
                  • 6. Re: Keyframe attach to clip
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    >You can have clip *and* track keyframes for audio tracks in PPro.

Well, that's my one new thing learned for today. Time for bed...
                    • 7. Re: Keyframe attach to clip
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      As a quick solution, maybe try nesting, cutting out the unwanted segments that way.