17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2009 1:42 PM by SFL46

Adobe Default Windows Sound Driver

Level 1
      After installing the trial version of Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 on my New Dell Inspiron 530 w/ Windows Vista Home Premium SP1, I get the following message when I'm starting the application to use it:

The currently installed sound card driver does not support Directsound input. Recording audio is not possible.

Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio
      Processor: Intel core 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz
      Memory (RAM): 3.00 GB
      System Type: 32-bit Operating System

I've updated my drivers and it shows that all audio devices are working properly.

Please help! I'm considering buying this if I can get it to work on my computer.
      Thanks
      • 0. Re: Adobe Default Windows Sound Driver
        Level 1
        I have ASIO4ALL. What settings should I have it on.
        • 2. Re: Adobe Default Windows Sound Driver
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Motherboard sound is the cause of many problems... you might consider an actual sound CARD

Mine (see http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM page) is certainly not top end by today's standards... but it works
          • 3. Re: Adobe Default Windows Sound Driver
            Dan Isaacs Level 2
            Try installing ASIO4ALL.
            • 4. Re: Adobe Default Windows Sound Driver
              Dan Isaacs Level 2
              What's the exact type of onboard sound you're using? The exact settings would probably depend on that. Sometimes there are various "latest drivers". Mine for example, has drivers available from the motherboard manufacturer and others from the chipset menufacturer. In my case, I believe the ones from the chipset manufacturer (realtek) worked better.

In the ASIO4ALL panel, click on "Advanced"... Is there a green check-mark on the "in" from your audio adapter? If so, audio input is (supposedly) working.

Is so, make sure that ASIO4ALL is selected as the Default Device in Premiere's Preferences > Audio Hardware

Also set Preferences > Audio Output Mapping to ASIO4ALL.

If you've already done these, you can try changing some settings in ASIO4ALL but if it deosn't work, it probably won't ever work. Maybe your mobo sound device does not have WDM drivers for input.
              • 5. Re: Adobe Default Windows Sound Driver
                Level 1
                Dan
                Thanks for the help. Still no luck.
                I'm considering just buying a new sound card. Just need to make sure the one I get works with Premiere.
                • 6. Re: Adobe Default Windows Sound Driver
                  Level 1
                  Has anyone found a solution for this problem?

I have the same issue with my machine, which is also a dell inspiron 530.

I've tried the ASIO4ALL too with no luck. It does tell me:
                  Realtek HD Audio ouput
                  Realtek HD Audio front mic input
                  Realtek HD audio line input
                  are all working fine.

But,
                  Realtek HD Audio Mic input
                  Realtek HD Audio Stereo input
                  are beyond logic.
                  • 7. Re: Adobe Default Windows Sound Driver
                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

If you are getting the same message as the OP then you need to get DirectSound compatible drivers from your soundcard manufacturer.

What the message is saying is that if PPro cannot see your soundcard using the Microsoft DirectSound API then PPro cannot use the soundcard.

Cheers
                    Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                    - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                    - Over 250 free tutorials
                    - Maintained by editors like you
                    Forum FAQ
                    • 8. Re: Adobe Default Windows Sound Driver
                      Level 1
                      I'll see what I can find. Thanks.

What's really strange about the problem is that everything worked for about 2 months, then Premiere just stopped loading. The machine isn't connected to the internet and the only thing on it are my projects and Adobe software.
                      • 9. Re: Adobe Default Windows Sound Driver
                        shooternz Level 6
                        That Realtek HD Audio onboard Module works absolutely fine for me on my AssusPro5K MPBO.
                        • 10. Re: Adobe Default Windows Sound Driver
                          Level 1
                          I've been talking to a Dell tech for about 3 hours now with no luck.

The driver is fine.
                          Registry is fine.
                          Software is fine.

The software worked for almost 2 months before this problem began occuring. The machine has never been on the internet so there were no updates, upgrades or anything.

Basically, we've narrowed it down to Vista itself although there is no explanation for why it suddenly stopped working. The only solution though is to reinstall the OS. Which doesn't solve the problem but may at least allow me to work again, until the problem reoccurs.
                          • 12. Re: Adobe Default Windows Sound Driver
                            Level 1
                            I've got exactly the same issue with my Asus P5N7A-VM motherboard. When I first instaled and started Premiere 3 message poped-up saying:
                            The currently installed sound card driver does not support DirectSound input. Recording audio is not possible.
                            I have built-in Realtek HD Audio, Q9300 CPU, 2GB RAM, Vista 64bit.
                            If anyone found solution please share!
                            • 13. Re: Adobe Default Windows Sound Driver
                              Eddie Lotter Level 4

Install the latest ASIO compatible driver from the manufacturer's (RealTek) Web site and make sure that you then select it in the PPro preferences.

Cheers
                              Eddie

Forum FAQ
                              • 14. Re: Adobe Default Windows Sound Driver
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                >Vista 64bit.

Maybe that. CS3 isn't designed for it.
                                • 15. Re: Adobe Default Windows Sound Driver
                                  Level 1
                                  Eddie Lotter,

Thanks for sharing. Though I looked through www.realtek.com, but I didn't find what is called ASIO compatible drivers. If you could share a direct link, if that is not against this forums' policies I would really appreciate it.

Best ones.
                                  • 16. Re: Adobe Default Windows Sound Driver
                                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

I don't have that hardware so I don't know the manufacturer's Web site. It's not against forum rules, so if someone does know they may well post. If you don't want to contact the manufacturer directly you can search for a driver called "asio4all".

Cheers
                                    Eddie

Forum FAQ
                                    • 17. Re: Adobe Default Windows Sound Driver
                                      SFL46 Level 3
                                      I too am using Realtek HD Audio onboard Module with CS3. I did not need to do anything driver-wise to make this work right out of the box (ASUS PK5C MOBO

One thing I didn't see you say. Did you run DXDIAG? If not try it--at the RUN type DXDIAG and press return. You will see a series of test for video, audio, music, etc.