20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2007 3:33 PM by Jim_Simon

Import MOV, export MPEG2

Level 1
      Hi, I made a small Flash animation for my client. But they needed me to deliver the file as MPEG2 so they can play the animation on their special projector. First, I exported the Flash as mov file (QuickTime file). Both Flash and mov files are 2772 x 2880 pix. Then I opened the Premiere Pro CS3, and import that mov file. I tried to preview the imported video, it only had the sound but no image. Then I went to "Export -- Adobe Encore" and tried to convert the mov to MPEG2, the program just freeze. After trying so many times, I reduced the mov file as 2000 x 2078, and did the same thing (import and expert) with the same setting. It worked.
      I would like to know if Premiere Pro CS3 has size limitation for importing video. I read the user manual, it says we can import up to 4000px video, then how come it freeze when I just import the 2880 pix video?
      How can I fix this problem? Because my client told me the video seems "cropped". It looks small.

Thank you...
        • 1. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Are you sure it says 4000 pixel video? Cause there really isn't any normal video with that high a resolution. The highest is 1920 x 1080.

I do know the manual says 4096 x 4096 still images.
          • 2. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
            Level 1
            oic... so I misunderstood it. I thought that means we can import 4096 x 4096 video.

So the highest resolution we can use is only 1920 x 1080? But my import video was 2000 x 2078 pix. Is this the reason my client said it looks like "cropped"?
            • 3. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              Care to mention the camera it was shot on. Must be absolutely unique.
              • 4. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
                Level 1
                > But my import video was 2000 x 2078 pix. Is this the reason my client said it looks like "cropped"?

As Jim said the highest is 1920 x 1080, there is 2K & 4K but I doubt you are working with that.
                • 5. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
                  Level 1
                  Thanks to all the reply. I really appreciate...

To Harm,
                  I don't know what carema do you mean. I used Flash to create an animation. About client's projector, I have no idea what that is. I think that's a kind of thing to project the video or animation on the TV Wall or big screen (like 77inch x 80 inch).

To Howard,
                  I am new on video thing, so I am not sure what you mean about 2K & 4K. I just used Primere to convert mov file to MPEG2 file. I didn't do any editing work.
                  My original QuickTime file was 2772 x 2880. That's how I exported it. Unless the program changed it without notifying me.
                  If the highest is 1920 x 1080, I guessed that is why my video looks "cropped".
                  • 6. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

What is the native resolution of your client's projector. Chances are good it is 1024x768, so going higher than that is not a good idea.

Cheers
                    Eddie

Forum FAQ
                    Premiere Pro Wiki
                    - Over 250 frequently answered questions
                    - Over 100 free tutorials
                    - Maintained by editors like you
                    • 7. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
                      Level 1
                      this is a flash issue, not a premiere pro issue. you need to export out of flash as a file premiere pro will fully recognize. take care of the compatibility issues in flash, not premiere pro when it's too late.

::: Connor
                      • 8. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                        You should animate at the size that Premiere Pro wants to use. There is no point in animating and then letting some video program scale it down.
                        • 9. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          What we're saying here Fanny is that you should go back into Flash and create the project at a maximum of 1920 x 1080. 2772 x 2880 is of no use for anything.
                          • 10. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                            Or maybe smaller. What size can their projector take in?
                            • 11. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
                              Eddie Lotter Level 4
                              >What size can their projector take in?

I asked the same thing in #6. I'm not sure where the OP went.

Cheers
                              Eddie

Forum FAQ
                              Premiere Pro Wiki
                              • 12. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
                                Level 1
                                My client's screen is 77" x 80". But Flash stage cannot exceed 40". That's why I had such weird size as 2772 x 2880 pix.
                                I found out the reason my vedio was "cropped". Because when I exported to MPEG2, the setting was 4:3 (standard). But my original size ratio wasn't 4:3, that's why it looks "cropped". I have adjusted it to 2880 x 2160 so the ratio can be 4:3. Now I m waiting my client's reponse to see if that works.
                                However, I still don't know why the Premiere cannot import the size like 2772pix. This morning, I tried to import my new file (with 2880 x 2160), it freeze again. So I just change to 2000 x 1500pix again, then it worked. I didn't try to see what's the limitation Premiere could accept because I didn't want to re-start my computer over and over again (especially when I have deadline in front of me).
                                I also want to thank all of you to answer my question and try to help me to solve my problem. I really appreciate....
                                • 13. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
                                  Level 1
                                  in the future, you do not need to srater your computer over and over again, you just need to end/restart premiere pro when it freezes.

so in the future when it freeze, hit "CTRL+ALT+DELETE" and select "Task Manager", then slsect processes tab, and look for "Adobe Premiere Pro.exe" and click on it, then click "End process" then "yes"

then just open premiere pro again. you do not need to reboot your system everytime it freezes though.

just thought'd id share that info.

::: Connor

P.S. - It might not really be freezing...you should try importing your large file again right before you go to bed, then see what it says when you wake up...sometimes video files take a LONG time to import if they are large and high quality. I imported a 1.2GB PSD files once...it took about 3 minutes. It acted like it was frozed, bu FINNALLY it finished importing. Maybe you just need to wait a lot longer because it might not really be "frozen" just "thinking".
                                  • 14. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    >My client's screen is 77" x 80". But Flash stage cannot exceed 40".

That's kind of irrelevant. The point of a projector is to make things bigger. Better to let the machine worry about that than trying to compensate yourself.
                                    • 15. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                      As Jim says, it is the way that you will project the image that counts.

I own a 60 inch HDTV. But the pixels are still only 1280X720 - and some of the newer screens are 1920X1080. Yet even if you made it that size, you would have to find a way to project that big an image.

Check with the client and figure out how they are playing the movie. If it is on a standard definition DVD, then you should be animating at 720X534.
                                      • 16. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
                                        Eddie Lotter Level 4

If you don't answer the questions we ask then we can't really help you.

Cheers
                                        Eddie

Forum FAQ
                                        Premiere Pro Wiki
                                        • 17. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
                                          Level 1
                                          This is what client emailed to me, and I don't have any idea for most of them =P

MPEG2 files must be encoded as a Program Stream.
                                          Elementary Video stream must be Main Profile Main Level MP@ML 4:2:0.
                                          Elementary Audio Stream must also be included and must be AC3 or MPEG1 layer II encoded. Bitrates of 192, 224, or 384 kbps are supported.
                                          Source audio before encoding is 16 bit at 48 or 44.1 kHz sample rate.
                                          The two main resolutions supported are 720 x 480 x 29.97 (NTSC) and 720 x 576 x 25 (PAL)
                                          Maximum Program Stream bitrate is 15Mbps.
                                          Constant Bitrate (CBR) or Variable Bitrate (VBR)
                                          Group of Picture (GOP) Structure is CLOSED.
                                          Normally 13 or 15 frames / GOP.
                                          I B and P frames will provide the most efficient compression.
                                          Preferably each GOP will contain a sequence header.
                                          • 18. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
                                            Eddie Lotter Level 4
                                            >720 x 480 x 29.97 (NTSC) and 720 x 576 x 25 (PAL)

If that is what your client e-mailed you then that is your answer right there. Use NTSC or PAL resolution, not the weird resolutions you are coming up with.

Cheers
                                            Eddie

Forum FAQ
                                            Premiere Pro Wiki
                                            • 19. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
                                              Level 1
                                              Thank you Eddie. I think I am confused on dimension and resolution, so please correct me if I am wrong.
                                              My flash file "dimension" is 2880 x 2160 pix. When i exported it as mov file, there was a setting box pop out. And it has "render width" & "render height" with number 2880 x 2160 in it. I left most of the setting as default and exported it. Then I opened Premiere and imported the mov file. You know there is a small screen that you can see the imported video and it's information next to it. On that, it showed 2880 x 2160. And I cannot export it to MPEG2 unless I changed it to 2000 x 1500 when I exported from Flash to mov file.
                                              In order to export as a MPEG2 file, there were some settings you can choose. I chosed NTSC 720 x 468 standard from the beginning to the end.
                                              So I don't remember I have any chance to change the "resolution" until I need to use Premiere to export the file as MPEG2. And with that, I "chosed" one of the setting Premiere provided which met my client's requirement. I didn't manually change the "resolution" to 2880 x 2160.
                                              Also, the reason I set the beginning size that big was because I know whenever I convert file, I lose quality. That's why I want my original file as big as possible so at least it still has some quality remind in the end. Like my mov file has 150MB, but after I exported to MPEG2, the file size is less than 10MB. I don't really know if the size relates to quality directly, I just thought it might be...
                                              • 20. Re: Import MOV, export MPEG2
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                >My flash file "dimension" is 2880 x 2160 pix

That is the issue. Recreate the Flash at 720 x 480. You will not lose anything by keeping it at this size.