7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2008 8:47 AM by (Joe_Kauffman)

Planning next project, any advice?

Level 1
      I'm getting ready to shoot our next project which will be an instructional video shot entirely outdoors here in Arizona during daylight hours. I have a Sony A1U (and possibly a Z1U) and am trying to make sure everything is planned as best as can be. The end project will be a 70 minute SD DVD and my thoughts are to shoot in HDV, then downconvert to SD later in editing.

I've ran across some issues with space on a SD DVD project as of late on a project that was shot with my A1U in HDV that was 90 minutes long. I had to cut back the quality in Encore quite a bit to fit it on the disc and it was definately noticeable in the final DVD. So I guess I'm trying to find out what the best practices are for planning minutes, HDV versus SD shooting as it amounts to size on disc and how to get the best quality end project in 70 minutes of footage.

One thing that I was wondering about is how big movie companies (Harry Potter for example) can get that awesome of quality for 2 hours on one disc? Does the quality of camera make a smaller file size with better quality?

Thanks for any information! These forums have been a huge help in the video production learning curve.
        • 1. Re: Planning next project, any advice?
          Curt Wrigley Level 4
          Most hollywood dvds are dual layer. notice the pause in most movies about halfway as the dvd player switches layers.

If this project will never be in HD, Id personally shoot in SD. The workflow is simply faster.

Curt
          • 2. Re: Planning next project, any advice?
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            There is an ongoing debate about whether or not the Adobe suite by itself can produce acceptable downconversion results. I suspect the answer to that question will depend on how critical you are.

Personally, I've easily put 90 minutes of DV footage onto a single layer DVD with excellent results just using Encore's Automatic transcode function.
            • 3. Re: Planning next project, any advice?
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              For shooting outdoors in Arizona, I suggest you use a circular pola filter on your camera's. I would also suggest to down convert in camera to SD because the editing is a lot easier when your final delivery is on DVD.

For DVD you can consider to use DL's, but with a time line of 70 minutes, it does not seem worthwhile, depending on your footage.

Hollywood uses far more capable encoders and use professionals to encode the films to 9 GB DVD, using sometimes 9-pass VBR encoding, so the fact that Harry Potter looks good is because of the DL recording with very, very good encoders and professionals to iron out the difficult parts. An art by itself.
              • 4. Re: Planning next project, any advice?
                Level 1
                Thanks for the info guys. I figured that's what it was. That brings up a good question too. If I end up with an end project being larger than anticipated, is it a safe (or smart) alternative to place the final project on DL's instead? Meaning are there any drawbacks? It seems like this could be a good safety net if it ends up being too large and I wouldn't have to make it a 2 disc set.

Thanks again.
                • 5. Re: Planning next project, any advice?
                  Dan Isaacs Level 2
                  > down convert in camera to SD because the editing is a lot easier when your final delivery is on DVD

It is true that it is easier, but I believe that quality of such conversions depends on the camera itself. In addition, your footage will be subjected to DV compression and (if you are using NTSC) 4:1:1 chroma subsampling which, in my opinion, should be avoided whenever possible when MPEG2 DVD is your goal.

You may want to consider purchasing Cineform. This should improve both quality and performance for HD editing.

Yes, I am the guy who's most involved in the debate of HD->DVD conversions in PPro. It is my position that Premiere does a miserable job on these. Please read my posts in the other threads. I outline procedures using freeware tools that can greatly improve upon PPro's SD output from HD timelines. It may be a bit hard to grasp at first, but it is more straight-forward than it seems and well worth the trouble (IMO).

> using sometimes 9-pass VBR encoding

You can try Cinema Craft Encoder CCE SP2. Expensive, but it will do that.

> you can consider to use DL's, but with a time line of 70 minutes, it does not seem worthwhile

Yes, that's probably true. If you do the HD->SD conversion nicely (possibly employing some noise reduction) and use a good MPEG2 encoder you should easily achieve beautiful results at a moderate average bitrate (7000 kpbs or so) that will fit on a single layer disc @ 70 minutes.
                  • 6. Re: Planning next project, any advice?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    I would recommend going to a Dual Layer disk only if Encore suggests a bitrate below 5 Mbps in the Automatic setting.

If you do go DL, keep in mind to use a burner that supports Booktype setting. DL disks have many problems playing as DL disks. If you can set the Booktype to DVD-ROM, they work fine.
                    • 7. Re: Planning next project, any advice?
                      Level 1
                      Thanks again to everyone for their help. I finished the shoot and am now getting ready to capture the footage. I have been looking into CineForm for help in the capturing process. I ended up shooting in HDV so will CineForm be alot more beneficial in capturing the footage versus capturing it directly in PPro?