5 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2009 9:36 PM by Jim_Simon

CAPTURE PREVIEW SCREEN NOT AVAILABLE

Capturing from CANON XH A1, with all correct settings (I think so...), I can see in Premiere capture screen - original clip in PLAY. But when I press RECORD button, get a screen with multi languages (!) saying "Reprodution in Video Hardware". Clip is really captured, but without Preview.
      Otherwise, capturing in HDV Split, with exactly same settings, everything goes easy and correctly!
      What am I doing wrong?
      Like in previous questions, you help is useful and welcome. Thanks a lot!
        • 1. Re: CAPTURE PREVIEW SCREEN NOT AVAILABLE
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Premiere does not show HDV preview during capture. You've done nothing wrong, it's just how the program works.
          • 2. Re: CAPTURE PREVIEW SCREEN NOT AVAILABLE
            Level 1
            Thanks, Jim, for your fast answer! That´s not a dramatic problem, but is a peculiar way of capturing... the first I know!
            Thanks again.
            • 3. Re: CAPTURE PREVIEW SCREEN NOT AVAILABLE
              Antinet Level 1

Its not weird, its flat-out unacceptable for a program that calls itself HDV capable.

SO I'm supposed to look at my camera screen to capture....hmmm. how about if I'm using a deck?

Thanks for only 4 dissolves in transitions...apparently the mac gets short-shrifted....

its a good thing I love after effects, that all I can say....

• 4. Re: CAPTURE PREVIEW SCREEN NOT AVAILABLE
                SFL46 Level 3

This is not so weird.  You need to remember that the transfer from your camera to the computer is a asynchronous communication.  Once the camera starts the transfer, it assumes that the computer is fast enough to transfer the information to the HDD without dropping frames.  With DV, this wasn't a major problem as the DV format allowed a bit for bit transfer at only 4 mb/sec with no processing--hence no processor delays.

However, with HDV, the mpeg file is contained in a wrapper that must be removed before the the mpeg can be displayed and requires a much higher IO rate (25 mb/sec?).  It seems that Adobe made a design decision not to mess with this during capture and to not display the real-time image so as to minimize dropped frames on capture.

There are standalone programs that can capture and display, but these programs have far lower overhead and memory requirements than does Premiere.

Maybe when we're all running 64bit vista on multiple processor motherboards with huge memory and fast disk arrays, this crutch wont be necessary.

• 5. Re: CAPTURE PREVIEW SCREEN NOT AVAILABLE
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  HDV...requires a much higher IO rate (25 mb/sec?).

The data rate for both DV and HDV are identical, about 25 Mb/s, or 3.6 MB/s.  HDV will require more processing power, but hard drives and the Firewire bus will be taxed the same for either format.  Whatever reason Adobe chose to not preview HDV during capture, data rate isn't likely to be it.