8 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2008 7:54 AM by (alan_jackson)

combatting overscan

whats the best way to finalize your movie so its "overscan ready"? i am in uk btw.
      ie so when people view it they can see everything. do i use scale? if i scale too much there will be black borders visible so i assume i leave some margin for error on my titles ie safe margins. which i have done. so what percentage scale do people use?
      havent tried this in cs3 yet so there may be a "reduce to allow for overscan option."
      wishfull thinking.
        • 1. Re: combatting overscan
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Normally, you don't do anything to adjust for overscan during editing. You make these adjustments during shooting.
          • 2. Re: combatting overscan
            Dan Isaacs Level 2
            "Action Safe" is typically 90% of the total size.
            "Title Safe" is typically 80% of the total size.

Jim is correct in that you should not scale your video footage to fit these margins -- that must be done when setting up your shots.

For titles, graphics, etc. you can use the above numbers a guideline (these are Premiere's defaults, but these can be changed in the project settings). You can also overlay the safe margins on your Program Monitor window while editing.
            • 3. Re: combatting overscan
              Level 1
              well ive got my edited video and on one clip an object only appears right on the edge of the screen as the punchline is delivered. i want that to just appear on the edge of the viewers screen.
              it actually appears outside the safe margins before i want it too so im gonna mess around with scale.
              my last few videos ive just had to scale to about 88 percent or i lose the tops of peoples heads and feet etc.
              i have a simple camcorder and most of my footage is off the cuff home movie type stuff.
              • 4. Re: combatting overscan
                Ruud Blauw Level 1
                >on one clip an object only appears right on the edge of the screen as the punchline is delivered. i want that to just appear on the edge of the viewers screen.

What you are trying to accomplish may prove impossible: The amount of overscan varies from TV to TV. And it is hardly ever the same amount on all sides. When your video is played on a computer nothing will be cut off by overscan.
                • 5. Re: combatting overscan
                  Level 1
                  well ive found a solution and that is to make a template or test screen with different sizes marked on it and i'm gonna play it on the three tv's that this dvd will be played on. a 10 yr old panasonic 28 inch, a lcd hitachi 26 inch brand new and a samsung lcd or plasma.

then i know how much to reduce the scale so as to get my desired effect on that one clip and how much to scale the rest so as not to lose anything.
                  thx for replies anyway.
                  as for adjustments during shooting well half the time im drunk whilst pointing the camera. the films are only for immediate family and one friend so its no big deal realy. i was just hoping there was some kind of standard overscan size.
                  • 6. Re: combatting overscan
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    >my last few videos ive just had to scale to about 88 percent or i lose the tops of peoples heads and feet etc.

Then you're shooting skills could use a little work. This kind of thing really should be handled during the shoot, not during post. You need to reframe your shots so that you have the small extra room you'll need to compensate for overscan. Not much help, now, I know. But a good lesson learned for future shoots.
                    • 7. Re: combatting overscan
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >my last few videos ive just had to scale to about 88 percent or i lose the tops of peoples heads and feet etc.

This kind of thing really should be handled during the shoot, not during post. You need to reframe your shots so that you have the small extra room you'll need to compensate for overscan. Not much help, now, I know. But a good lesson learned for future shoots.
                      • 8. Re: combatting overscan
                        Level 1
                        i understand that and what would make things easier is if the viewfinder of my cam had those safe margins.
                        just tested my 10 yr old tv and its the same as my upstairs portable in that 680 x 544 fills the screen exactly. so if i simply scale my whole movie to these dimensions by way of 94% reduction then i see everything that the pc sees in playback.
                        with a little adjustment to the "appear off screen" clip first i can output a movie that will play on my tv in all its glory.
                        the lcd screen is useless in bright sunlight (typical summer holiday conditions) and the viewfinder on my camcorder is tiny and its hard enough to see what you are shooting at the best of times.
                        thx for advice anyway