8 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2008 6:43 PM by shooternz

New to 16:9

Been doing 4:3 for years. First project in 16:9. What aspect ratio is necessary to create graphs or charts for the project and does CS3 show a safe margin for 4:3 playback in a 16:9 project? Also, some source material from client is 4:3 and will be imported into project. How does one deal with that? Thanks,
        • 1. Re: New to 16:9
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          16:9 uses 720 x 480 resolution with a Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR) of 1.2. Use those figures to set up your outside graphs and charts.

I don't believe Premiere has a "4:3 safe zone" built in, but you may be able to build one in Photoshop and bring that into Premiere as a graphic.

4:3 material can be handled in one of two ways. Leave it 4:3 with black bars on the sides, or zoom in so it fills the screen left to right. This last option will cut off the top and bottom, however, and you will take a small hit in quality with the scaling.
          • 2. Re: New to 16:9
            Colin Brougham Level 6
            Premiere Pro does have a safe title overlay; simply hit the "'" (apostrophe) key on your keyboard. Also, the button on the program or source monitor that looks like a box with a crosshair is the safe title.
            • 3. Re: New to 16:9
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
              Colin,

That would bring up the 16:9 safe zone, not a 4:3 safe zone.

-Jeff
              • 4. Re: New to 16:9
                shooternz Level 6
                I use safe zones built in PhotoShop (.psd)that I temporarily overlay on 16:9 projects
                • 5. Re: New to 16:9
                  Dan Isaacs Level 2
                  > I use safe zones built in PhotoShop ...

That's an interesting idea, Craig. How did you derive the "safe zones" for these -- what are the dimensions?
                  • 6. Re: New to 16:9
                    shooternz Level 6
                    Originally I found them (via Google) on a BBC website ( I think) and modified them for my own purposes. They were overly complex initially so I "pulled" the apropriate layers as something workable for the purpose in Premiere.

I could post them up somewhere if someone wanted to host them.
                    • 7. Re: New to 16:9
                      Dan Isaacs Level 2
                      Oh, I think I know the page:
                      http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/tvbranding/picturesize.shtml

I referenced this in a (rather heated) debate on this forum about aspect ratio conversion.

That's a great chart (and info) for PAL. I live in America, so it's not so useful for me day-to-day. I could derive an NTSC chart for this, I suppose, but I'm not in the mood for math today :)
                      • 8. Re: New to 16:9
                        shooternz Level 6
                        "Trace" the safe areas in Tilter Window using rectangles.

Place in timeline

Export frame to Photoshop

Recreate as PSD