14 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2008 8:28 AM by (Studio_Era)

Playback/Preview is so bad. . .

specs:
      TOTAL NEWBIE
      HP Pavilion m9150f
      Intel Core 2 Quad proc. Q6600
      3072 MB RAM
      720 GB Hard Drive
      NVIDIA Geforce 8500 GT Graphics Card
      Vista Home Premium

I realize because it's running off of RAM, the playback will not be as smooth as the finished product, but I'm finding it such low quality that it's hard to believe that's the way it's been released to the public.

Also, I'm finding I'm sitting there thinking we can't be expected to wait for the final rendered project to see if it all worked properly.

I'm mostly talking about the playback window (ie. Program: Sequence 01) if I select 'fit' it's too small to see on my 2207 px screen, but if I put it up to 100% the quality is so bad I'm freaking out ;-)

Thanks for your time,
      Respectfully,
      Brad
        • 1. Re: Playback/Preview is so bad. . .
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          >specs:
          TOTAL NEWBIE

LOL! :)

It seems that you may have your project frame size mis-matched compared to the frame size of the source video. Viewing at a 100% shouldn't degrade unless this is the case.

It's also possible that you have your Playback Settings set to Draft Quality.
          • 2. Re: Playback/Preview is so bad. . .
            Level 1
            Da-da-dada!
            Jeff to the rescue.
            Sweet.

I see I have opened a new project at HDV 1080i25 (50i) and imported an .wmv clip at 720x480 at 29.97.

hmm. . .

Am I to,
            A. resize the project somehow?
            or
            B. find a way to know the size of the clips I'm importing beforehand?

Also, I assumed the Playback Settings would have been under Edit>Preferences, but alas, I am wrong once again. . .

Brad
            • 3. Re: Playback/Preview is so bad. . .
              Dan Isaacs Level 2
              > Am I to

1.) Don't use .wmv files for editing
              2.) Avoid upscaling video whenever possible: especially in large degrees, such as 720x480 -> 1440x1080 -- and even more importantly NOT with interlaced footage
              3.) Especially avoid upscaling video in Premiere, as there are likely other tools that will do a nicer job
              4.) You can't change the project dimensions. You'll need to create a new 720x480 project to match your sources
              5.) Yes, you should know the dimensions of your clips before importing them (or starting a project, for that matter)

Playback Settings are set with a button within the Project Settings.
              (Project/Project Settings/General/Playback Settings)

You can also access the Playback Settings and change the preview quality by clicking the little black arrow at the top-right of the Program Monitor window: Select High, Draft, or Automatic Quality.
              • 4. Re: Playback/Preview is so bad. . .
                Level 1
                1.)Don't use .wmv files for editing.

-When I hook up my XH-A1 to my Vista there's an automatic download program that pops up.
                Is there something else I should use?
                I've heard Premiere (as wonderful as it is) is better not used to download from your camera. True/False?

-I'm sorry, what does 'interlaced footage' mean? And what is the opposite of it? If anything?

As for other advice/instructions. Thank you.
                I notice the playback is set on 'Auto', so I'm assuming the biggest problems so far is the fact my video size is so small, and Vista has (as Window's does so well) decided my original HD video clip wasn't the right size, color and taste, so it decided to crunch it down to a more 'suitable size' . . .

Brad
                • 5. Re: Playback/Preview is so bad. . .
                  Dan Isaacs Level 2
                  > When I hook up my XH-A1 to my Vista there's an automatic download program that pops up. Is there something else I should use?

Yes. Capture via IEEE-1394 (firewire) in Premiere*, but see below:

> I've heard Premiere (as wonderful as it is) is better not used to download from your camera. True/False?

I'm going to go with 'false' with one exception: There do seem to be some sync issues with HDV captures. Try using HDVSplit for better results (and scene-detected automatic captures). It's free: http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

> I'm sorry, what does 'interlaced footage' mean?

As a "newbie" (no slight intended) you need to learn about this stuff. It's sort of like "Video 101" stuff. The opposite of "interlaced" is "progressive" (or possibly non-interlaced, deinterlaced...)

You'll notice that HD specs usually say "1080i" or "720p", etc. The "i" and "p" stand for interlaced and progressive, respectively.

Start here:
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_scan

Enjoy!
                  • 6. Re: Playback/Preview is so bad. . .
                    Level 1
                    Very nice, very nice.
                    My day is now complete.
                    Homework isn't so bad when you're interested in what you're studying, is it?

To Wiki, and beyond. .
                    • 7. Re: Playback/Preview is so bad. . .
                      Dan Isaacs Level 2
                      Here's another interesting link for you:
                      http://100fps.com/

The information is (slightly) outdated and deals with PAL (that's the TV standard used by most of the world) and not NTSC (the American standard) but it will show you some of the issues regarding interlacing and various ways of combatting the problems, their relative merits and dismerits, etc.

More wiki of note:
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ntsc
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pal
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDV

I just noticed on the wiki that HDV is also another name for the Hepatits D virus. Don't mix those up :)
                      • 8. Re: Playback/Preview is so bad. . .
                        shooternz Level 6
                        Some might say there is no difference ;-)
                        • 10. Re: Playback/Preview is so bad. . .
                          Level 1
                          Egads!
                          Does that actually mean I don't have to use those damn condoms when I edit anymore !!??

Thank the gods for forums. . . all the things you learn . . .

;-)
                          • 11. Re: Playback/Preview is so bad. . .
                            Phil Griffith Level 2
                            sorry, but last I heard hepatitis is not a std.
                            • 12. Re: Playback/Preview is so bad. . .
                              Level 1
                              Back to seriousness and help and all.

What file extention/format do you suggest I capture video from my XH to my PC in?

ta
                              • 13. Re: Playback/Preview is so bad. . .
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                You don't have a choice of capture formats. Set it up properly, and it should work.

By set it up properly, I mean use DV settings for capturing DV, and an HDV preset for capturing HDV.
                                • 14. Re: Playback/Preview is so bad. . .
                                  Level 1
                                  got it.
                                  thank you.

Back to the laboratory, as it were. . .