9 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2008 7:45 AM by Jim_Simon

Poor Quality Export to AVI

Hi im a newcomer to Premier Pro and need some help in adjusting my settings for exporting my video.

The video in question is made up of 5 seperate videos (created from still jpegs with ImageVideoMachine at 1024x768 with 24fps and 1080HD Profile). When I view these videos seperately they are good quality and do not have any problems. However after i imported them to Premier Pro and added an audio track in the background and a small bit of text the quality after export is really bad in places.

I have tried lots of different settings in the export but just cant seem to get it right. The main problems that seem to occur is when the camera moves quickly from one scene to another and it seems to get very blurry and pixelated and sort of like half the scene is catching up (hope this makes sense!).

The entire video is only 4 and a half minutes long so I am not too worried about the size of the file. Any help would be greatly appreciated as im at a loss what to try next and the poor quality of the video takes away so much from my hard work in creating the presentation.

Hoping you can help

Alan
        • 1. Re: Poor Quality Export to AVI
          Level 1
          Just as further information for anyone who can help. These are the properties of one of the five .avi files I created using ImageVideoMachine. As I said these play at a good quality and without any pixelation of blurriness.

1.avi
          Type: AVI Movie
          File Size: 32.6 MB
          Image Size: 1024 x 768
          Pixel Depth: 1024
          Frame Rate: 24.00
          Total Duration: 00:00:41:21
          Average Data Rate: 797 KB / second
          Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

AVI File details:
          Contains 1 video track(s) and 0 audio track(s).

Video track 1:
          Size is 32.58M bytes (average frame = 33.20K bytes)
          There are 76 keyframes, 929 delta frames.
          Frame rate is 24.00 fps
          Frame size is 1024 x 768
          Depth is 24 bits.
          Compressor: 'DX50', ffdshow Video Codec

Now these are the properties of the best quality export from Premier Pro after I edited my video. Although this is my best quality export it is still very poor quality compared to the original videos I am using to create it.

Type: AVI Movie
          File Size: 212.6 MB
          Image Size: 1024 x 756
          Pixel Depth: 1024
          Frame Rate: 24.00
          Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo
          Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
          Total Duration: 00:04:11:00
          Average Data Rate: 867 KB / second
          Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.333

AVI File details:
          Contains 1 video track(s) and 1 audio track(s).
          Interleave: 1 : 24.00

Video track 1:
          Size is 166.44M bytes (average frame = 36.10K bytes)
          This movie appears to have DROPPED FRAMES
          There are 28 keyframes, 5905 delta frames.
          There are 91 empty frames.
          Frame rate is 24.00 fps
          Frame size is 1024 x 756
          Depth is 24 bits.
          Compressor: 'DX50', ffdshow Video Codec

Audio track 1:
          Size is 45.95M bytes
          Rate is 48000 samples/sec
          Sample size is 16 bits

Hope this helps you to understand what im trying to do here.

Thanks again

Alan
          • 2. Re: Poor Quality Export to AVI
            shooternz Level 6
            AT first glance : Your Project setting do not appear to match the original source material. eg PAR and Frame size

Not sure about the compressor you have used ?????
            • 3. Re: Poor Quality Export to AVI
              Dan Isaacs Level 2
              DX50 is DivX -- via FFDshow. Not a very good choice for an editing source in Premiere. I heard many times that Premiere does not handle DivX well.

Looking at your source:
              > There are 76 keyframes, 929 delta frames.

This means that your source file is highly temporally compressed (not many keyframes). Premiere does not work nicely with these tyo4es of sources. Premiere only works properly (it seems) with intraframe-compressed AVI files.

Looking at your output:
              > There are 28 keyframes, 5905 delta frames.

There are even less keyframes on the output. And, as Craig noted, there is a mismatch of dimensions/aspect ratios between the input and output. I am not surprised it doesn't look good.
              • 4. Re: Poor Quality Export to AVI
                Level 1
                How can I make my source file an intaframe-compressed avi then?

And how can I add more keyframes to my output?

Sorry if these seem like stuid questions but I am a complete novice at this video editing so far.

Are there any other settings I should be using to increase the quality of the video?

Thanks for all you advice
                • 5. Re: Poor Quality Export to AVI
                  neil wilkes Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  >Are there any other settings I should be using to increase the quality of the video?

Not really.
                  If the source is bad to start with, the output will never be good.
                  It's a similar thing with Audio - start out with MP3, and it will never be as good as PCM uncompressed - even when decoded back to PCM.
                  This is because a lossy encoder actually throws the data away - once it is gone, it is gone forever & cannot be recovered.
                  • 6. Re: Poor Quality Export to AVI
                    Level 1
                    If I was to redo the original videos then what should I be looking to do? How can I make sure that they are intraframe and that they contain enough key frames to begin with?
                    • 7. Re: Poor Quality Export to AVI
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      Reshoot with a real video camera. Then capture from that.
                      • 8. Re: Poor Quality Export to AVI
                        Ruud Blauw Level 1
                        Alan,

In Image Video Machine's output options which codecs can you choose from?
                        • 9. Re: Poor Quality Export to AVI
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          >How can I make my source file an intaframe-compressed avi then?

Start by using a DV or DVCPro HD video camera as your source. For other kinds of media, it may be better to edit using another program.