9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2007 12:49 PM by Robbie Dahl

Sorting Files in Premiere Pro

Robbie Dahl Level 1
      I find it hard to believe, let alone accept, that Adobe has still not resolved the way in which Premiere Pro sorts its assets in version CS3. I have had this gripe with Adobe Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro for years. I must admit, reading the forums, it does not seem to bother too many other people, but it has been irritating me for years. So please let me vent my disappointment and I would really like to hear from anyone else that this idiosyncrasy of PP annoys.
      1. When I capture video by scene I often end up with 400 plus scenes in one capture. Adobe gives them each a sequential number 1-400 and they appear in order in the project panel. However, the moment I attempt to sort them by name they go out of order and I cannot get them back into order unless I sort them by media start.
      If I choose a number of video clips that were not captured in PP, rename them in PP and click sort they go out of order and there is no way to restore their order.
      2. The same thing happens with still photos, even with sequences that I have created in Photoshop and Adobe Photoshop has numbered. PP clearly cannot count. This is how it counts 1, 10, 11.....19, 2, 20, 21 and so on.
      And while I am having a whinge, let me say that I find it amazing that neither Bridge nor PP show the time and date that I have taken my videos. This metadata is readily available to me in editing programs such as Ulead Video Studio and even in Windows Movie Maker. I find that if I am working on a clip and cannot remember the day and time I took it I need to open it up in Movie Maker and then manually note the information in the Project Panel. This really, in my opinion, is just not good enough. I love the way PP edits movies, and Bridge is brilliant, but, in the end, if I cannot keep my assets in order more easily I shall look elsewhere for my next editing program.
        • 1. Re: Sorting Files in Premiere Pro
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          >When I capture video by scene I often end up with 400 plus scenes in one capture.

That may be why it doesn't bother a lot of folks. I myself rarely go over 100 clips per tape. Less than 100 and the problem doesn't exist. When I occasionally do go over, a simple renaming in Bridge using three places solves the issue.

>I find it amazing that neither Bridge nor PP show the time and date that I have taken my videos.

I agree. It really is time for this simple feature to be added, especially in Bridge.
          • 2. Re: Sorting Files in Premiere Pro
            Wade S Zimmerman Level 1
            In the preferences there are many items which are unchecked by default are you certain that there is no way of using one of those preferences to get this info.
            • 3. Re: Sorting Files in Premiere Pro
              Robbie Dahl Level 1
              Thanks Jim and Wade for your responses. I have taken Jims suggestion of renaming the files in Bridge.I first had to clear all my files in the Project panel, open Bridge and rename all the clips, and then import them back into Premiere Pro with the new names and 4 digit numbers. It is a little bit of a nuisance, but it does work and it should make my editing a lot easier. I am not sure how to go about renumbering the photoshop sequences yet except to manually rename each layer , tediously, in Photoshop with 2 or 3 digit numbers.
              Oh, and Wade, I have tried every edit column in the Project Panel, but none of then will show me the date I took the video. I really find that amazing.
              • 4. Re: Sorting Files in Premiere Pro
                Wade S Zimmerman Level 1
                >Oh, and Wade, I have tried every edit column in the Project Panel, but none of then will >show me the date I took the video. I really find that amazing.

If Adobe is really committed to Motion Graphics and NLE then they should really look at tis oversight. The one area that it has any real pertinence to and they leave it out.

You should make a feature request.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=7
                • 5. Re: Sorting Files in Premiere Pro
                  Robbie Dahl Level 1
                  Thanks for the suggestion Wade. I have passed my recommendations for possible improvment of their software onto Adobe.
                  • 6. Re: Sorting Files in Premiere Pro
                    akribie Level 2
                    That's one of the many reasons I capture DV using Scenalyzer Live with the date/time in the filename. Then I can sort clips on date/time even across multiple cameras (assuming their clocks were synchronised originally, of course).
                    • 7. Re: Sorting Files in Premiere Pro
                      >I capture DV using Scenalyzer Live

yes, but only "DV" ..... works not with HDV ....
                      never heard the author "Andreas Winter" ( locaded in Austria, Vienna town)
                      is intended to updated it for HDV.... (unfortunately)

Edius 4.xx is the only thing, which I know,
                      a) that read the "time-date stamp" from HDV
                      b) that display it in the bin as column (for sorted per"time-date stamp")
                      c) burn in the clip: date or time, or both....

fast and funny thing to documented second exactly: court hearing \ parliament session etc.
                      • 8. Re: Sorting Files in Premiere Pro
                        Wade S Zimmerman Level 1
                        Since I am working for the web streaming I do not need at the moment HDV but will as the web improves.

But this feature I can confidently say is a must have if if getting the right material in a timely way is important.

I find it a strange omission.
                        • 9. Re: Sorting Files in Premiere Pro
                          Robbie Dahl Level 1
                          Thanks for the tip on Scenalyzer Live, David, I will have a serious look into that program. Sounds perfect for me.