28 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2007 3:28 PM by Steven L. Gotz

Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3

Is there any way to do 2-pass encoding from Premiere export=>To Movie?
      I'm also unable to export to usable mpeg2 HD format to encode later in other program (but that is 2 step process)
        • 1. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
          Mpeg2 is exported using the Adobe Media Encoder not File > Export > Movie.
          • 2. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
            Level 1
            I am exporting to mpeg2, or mp4 via Adobe Media Encoder with preset of 1440x1080 High Quality, but get no usable results
            • 3. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              > get no usable results

for what?
              • 4. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                HDV without Cineform Aspect HD is pretty tough to export to other programs. What other programs? If you mean a DVD authoring program for Blu-Ray for example, you probably would be better off writing it back to tape and recapturing it.

On the other hand, there is a trick for beginning the export to tape, disconnecting the camera, and then when it finishes and gives you an error message, you grab the file it created and change it's name so that when you press OK on the error message the file is not erased.

The only problem with this method is that it leaves 10 seconds of garbage before the beginning of the file. If you bring that into another app, then you can cut it off so it doesn't matter.

So, as Harm says "for what?".
                • 5. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                  (Ed_Cread) Level 1
                  Steven - curious about your response here. You said he may be better off writing back to tape and recapturing if not using an intermediate such as CF Aspect HD. Once recaptured, my understanding is that it will still need to be transcoded for blu-ray (let's assume by Encore CS3), so what advantage is gained by this method of going back to tape? Is this a render time issue of exporting to another codec such as H.264 for example?

Thanks.
                  • 6. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                    Well, the question was how to get a usable m2t file. Now, I could be wrong, but I am laboring under the impression that Blu-Ray can use m2t files or H.264 so what would be the point in transcoding to H.264 is the file fits?

I am a bit weak on the subject because my High Definition DVD player can play m2t and WM9 files, so I don't need Blu-Ray just yet.
                    • 7. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                      Level 1
                      Well, "export to what?" I'd like to get quality divx/xvid/h.264 for previewing on computer/dvd player, when ready to play HD formats.
                      By word usable, I mean i can see anything. DivX export is terrible, quality, Xvid is decent(but far from good), h.264 see nothing.
                      mpeg2 @hd resolution can't encode to divx/xvid in some other program.
                      I did try to export to wm9 (good quality) and convert to divx with dr. divx, but no sound.
                      But my question is, if it's possible to set 2-pass encoding from Premiere export=>to movie
                      • 8. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                        Level 1
                        Da_mENIZ,

No, you can't do a two-pass encoding through Export Movie. Divx or Xvid aren't codecs included with Premiere and your mileage is going to vary when trying to use them withing Premiere.

You're incorrectly focusing on doing this completely in PPro. Rather than try to export to Divx from Premiere, export as whatever you feel gives you the best quality and find something that will properly convert your export to Divx/Xvid.
                        • 9. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                          DivX is no longer one of the best codecs to use. I suggest using Windows Media if you can not play H.264. Although if I were you I would figure out why you can't play it. If you get good quality with WM9, why change?

If you really want DivX then as stated above, export to something that DivX can use to convert to DivX.

What DVD player are you planning to use, or is that off in the future? Perhaps your best bet is to place it back to tape and recapture when you are ready to decide on a format. In the meantime use Windows Media.
                          • 10. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                            Level 1
                            Well boys, firstly thanks for responses. Believe it or not, I've downloaded HDVsplit, capture it to m2t, and Dr. DivX encoded it perfectly. So I'm partially happy.
                            1.) I have good format to archive my tapes, and maintain (I believe) full quality
                            2.) I can easily export to DivX, so I can burn to dvd to be able to share it and play in on computer, or export to 576lines DivX to play it on regular dvd player
                            3.) Premiere works fine with m2t files, so I can still play with it and do some post edit, but export nightmare persits. I should really go out and find some Premiere GURU, to get some advice on usable export.

Problem with wm9 files is that they are quite big. My results were that I got roughly 3xcompress ratio with wm9, but with divx almost 6, and quality was better with divx.

What really bugs me, is that premiere pro is really premium program with lots options, and seems perfect application to "doitall", but then 400k freeware progie (HDVSplit) can capture much better than PPro CS3(btw 30min HDV capture, got out of audio sync completely). Then export all possible formats, from which I can't find one that can be playable, except wm9, whereas, let say virtualdub can easily do it in many formats.

Steven Gotz:
                            What codec you think is best to use? I thought H.264/DivX/Xvid are all based on mpeg4, and is only a matter of additional minor feature enhancements. I know for sure wm9 is not as good as latest DivX. H.264, can't tell. Xvid- have no encoder to do full quality 2-pass export, but single pass from PPro looks quite good, if lucky.

Natem:
                            Problem is, I can't find format for export to be high quality + workable later
                            • 11. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                              Level 1
                              Steven Gotz
                              Export back to tape is one option, and recapture with HDVSplit, and encode, but would be a lengthy process. I feel it's not reliable for longer term archiving, though. (tape damage, magnetic exposure, many playbacks may damage heads+ tape --this maybe bogus fears)
                              • 12. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                >I have good format to archive my tapes, and maintain (I believe) full quality

That belief is in error. DivX is a very highly compressed and far from full quality. The best option is always and only to store the original tapes.

>or export to 576lines DivX to play it on regular dvd player

Take care here. Very few DVD players will play a DivX file.
                                • 13. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                  In post #4 i mentioned a way to export to tape and then disconnect the camera before the job was finished so the file exists but the actually writing is not completed. The main value of this is that the file is pure m2t just like on the tape. No recapturing.

I didn't find this method, someone else did. But I have been using it successfully to get files that play on my AVeL Linkplayer. The initial 10 seconds of blank video is annoying, but worth the saved time.
                                  • 14. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                                    Level 1
                                    Jim Simon
                                    I meant good format4archive to be m2t, not DivX ;). Temporary export, doesn't really matter to me, if it's DivX or just mpeg2-dvd if I want to share it with friends and to be able to play dvd's on tv, main issue is that I have quality source (as archive) and are able to export to HD best quality with high compression, for my own playback.
                                    Good thing about PPro is that you can play with efects.. as much as you want, and every source is preserved, so you just do export to view it, and at later time you add some more efects/titles.. and export again, without need to redo all steps, so I'm not worried if no perfect (quality/compression) exists now, as long as I'm sure my source is max. qality and preserved, and I will be able to export to usable format later (which should be straight forward process anyway)

Steven
                                    I have to try this, if I won't be able to encode in any other way, but it seems a drag with 2 extra steps, isn't it cooler to click export and go out and have a beer, and have it ready when return:)

I think that MainConcept codec is messing things up with export, because even export to mobile doesn't play on my Ericsson (not mp4, neither 3gp), but I saw posts of people having same troubles. Adobe needs to do some serious update on Export, otherwise whole program is practically useless, considering it's HD time now and not whole world wants to encode in WM9.
                                    • 15. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      >main issue is that I have quality source (as archive)

Here again, storing the original tapes is the best solution. At least until you get a Blu-ray drive that can hold 50GB/disk.
                                      • 16. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                        If you try it, the trick is to wait until the encoding starts, then disconnect the camera. Then, after the file is created under a generic name, you get an error message. If you click OK or whatever it says, it will erase that file. So be prepared to change the name of the file before you acknowledge the message.
                                        • 17. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                                          Level 1
                                          Jim Simon
                                          but what's the difference keeping tapes or having m2t files captured on digital medium. (I thought it's pretty much 1:1 copy of hdv format on tape?)

Steven
                                          OK, I get it now, so you basically capture file while still on PC in some temp folder, and then rename it before premire tries to erase it. Yes that's a good idea, but again, will that be in same format/same codec as Sony writes HDV format on tape, or encoded with MainConcept?
                                          • 18. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                                            Level 1
                                            > (I thought it's pretty much 1:1 copy of hdv format on tape?)

It is! If you do not encode them again.
                                            • 19. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                              The point of the trick I use is that the file is exactly the right type to copy back to tape. It is the file that Adobe uses to make the file transfer. It saves the problem of making some sort of mistake while encoding. Just tell Premiere Pro to write to tape and let it control 100% of the settings.

I suppose it would be better to figure out the exact Adobe Media Encoder settings, but sometimes taking a shortcut is sufficient in the short term.
                                              • 20. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                >what's the difference keeping tapes or having m2t files captured on digital medium.

There will be no difference if the .m2t files have been unaltered in any way. Meaning you did nothing to them in Premiere. You just captured them, then put them on an external hard drive or a Blu-ray disk for storage. Once you reencode them through Premiere, they're different, and are not the best archive method.

I'm not saying it won't work. I'm just saying it's not the best way to do it. The best way is to put the original tapes on a shelf, and never reuse them.
                                                • 21. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                                                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                                  That is basically what I do. I save the original tapes and the projects, and the installation disks for the software that created the projects. Being lazy, I save the captures to a hard drive. Also, one of these days, it will get too hard to use the old software that I originally used.
                                                  • 22. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Well Steven, I tried method to export to tape and, unplug the camera, but didn't find the file. Where is it suppose to be? in the folder/subfolder with project, or in some temp folder in c:\documents and settings\Username\?

Jim:
                                                    I believe premiere pro doesn't alter source files, when you encode project? So it shouldn't be any worries, about losing quality. That's the best thing about PPro, when you make project file add everything you wish, export,and come back later, add some more effects and export again, but that export is a problem, as we all know

btw.
                                                    watching video directly from cam, really looks perfect on tv. Do conversion from interlacing to progressive scan looses quality too? Is movie encoded in wm9 or divx always in progressive mode? Don't really get the purpose of the options "lower filed first", "upper field first" "progressive" is this just description of source for better encoding to progressive, or outcome?

thanks
                                                    • 23. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                                      As I recall, the temp file is named HDVExport.hdv2 and it is saved to where you have your preferences set for capture files. I guess it figures that is the largest place available for a temporary file.
                                                      • 24. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                        >I believe premiere pro doesn't alter source files, when you encode project?

That's correct. So long as you have the original source media, you're good. But you can't expect to keep the encoded output files as archival media. They have been altered.
                                                        • 25. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                                                          Level 1
                                                          Thanks for the export to HDV trick. (HDVExport.hdv2 - rename to .m2t, right?) Should be able to an get about 40 minutes on a dual-layer DVD!

That being said, I find it unbelievable that Premiere has no way to export an HDV .m2t file easily. With standard DV, you just set the work area bar and EXPORT MOVIE. Why would it not be that easy for an .m2t if working in native HDV mode?

Is there an easy way just to send a 15-sec clip from the timeline to an HDV file, so that it can be used without rendering every time? I have a background loop that was standard DV that I zoomer through and changed colors, etc...

-BChil
                                                          • 26. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                                                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                                            bchil,

Yes, 40 minutes sounds about right. I know we should figure out exactly what those settings are so we can just use the Adobe Media Encoder, and one of these days I will work on it, I suppose.
                                                            • 27. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                                                              Level 1
                                                              I just exported it to tape and grabbed the file afterward and renamed .m2t and it works fine - but I got only 9:27 of garbage on the head and one frame of black at the tail... Sound right?

Easy workaround is to edit subclip with the correct 10 seconds for the BG loop and make new master clip from it. It really helps to have tha BG loop in native HDV form now...

However, it clearly says in the Premiere CS3 help file that it can save directly to HDV. Anyone here from Adobe that can tell us how to do that?

See "Options for exporting HD and HDV sequences" - the title page of it says "Adobe Premiere can export HDV sequences to tape on an HDV device (Windows Only) or export to either HD or HDV sequences directly to disc." ANY HELP?!

-BChil
                                                              • 28. Re: Export to DivX/Xvid with 2-pass encoding  in CS3
                                                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                                                Sounds right. I guess they put garbage at the front just to have something to roll it up to speed.

You can use the Adobe Media Encoder to export to M2T but I have never bothered to figure out the exact formula.