6 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2008 3:12 AM by Jeff Bellune

Ripple Delete including Encore Chapter Markers

Hi Everyone.....my first post!!!

I'm trying to do a ripple delete of about 25 seconds of video at the start of the time line......the remainder of the time line has 10 Encore chapter markers in there correct places......when I perform the delete the video moves over correctly but the chapter markers stay in there original places and do not follow the 25 second jump.
      I have looked in the FAQ's on here and the PP Wiki site and other places and have not found an answer.

Can it be dun?....What do I need to do?

I'll bet it's something simple that I'm missing......surely this feature or setting is built into the program.

Using PP CS3 V3.1.1 Win XP Pro SP3 P4 3.6 HT and 4Gig of ram. Video drive is Fibre Channel array through a Dell 56F switch at the moment

Thanks for your time.
        • 1. Re: Ripple Delete including Encore Chapter Markers
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Chapter markers (and sequence markers, for that matter) are locked to a specific time code in the sequence. You'll have to change the chapters markers manually, which should only take you a minute or two:

1) Ripple delete the footage you want to remove from the head of the sequence, making note of the duration of the removed piece.

2) Right-click on the time ruler on your timeline, and find the option to jump to the next Encore chapter marker. You can also customize your keyboard settings to map the "next" and "previous" commands to your keyboard, which will make this process even faster. In any event, the CTI (current time indicator) will jump to the next chapter marker in the timeline.

3) Making sure that you have no clips selected in the timeline (press Ctrl + Shift + A to de-select all), use your numerical keypad to type a minus sign ("-") and then the duration that you noted up above. When you press enter, the CTI will jump back that amount of time.

4) Using your mouse cursor, select the chapter marker where you were just positioned and drag it back to the CTI. It should snap into place. Repeat this process to move the remaining marks, which should not take too long as you only have a few marks.

Hope that helps...!
          • 2. Re: Ripple Delete including Encore Chapter Markers
            Level 1
            Thanks Colin!!

I was hopping I would not have to move them manually but it's something I can do.

So maybe the option to move the markers if you want on a delete of this kind might be a good request for the next release.

Thanks again!
            • 3. Re: Ripple Delete including Encore Chapter Markers
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
              Put your chapter markers in *only* after you have finished your edits.

As you edit, add clip markers to indicate where you and/or the client want the chapter markers to be.

Then, as you move the clips around in the sequence, the clip markers move with them.

When the client (or you) have approved the final edit, then hop nimbly from clip marker to clip marker using the Shift+Ctrl+Arrow keyboard shortcut and add an Encore chapter marker at each clip marker.
              • 4. Re: Ripple Delete including Encore Chapter Markers
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                It's a somewhat workable solution for now, Jeff. But oftentimes a client requires a fully authored DVD and still wants changes, in which case the ability to lock a Chapter/Sequence marker to a specific frame, moving with that frame, nesting with that frame, being deleted with that frame, is still a very wanted and needed new feature.
                • 5. Re: Ripple Delete including Encore Chapter Markers
                  Level 1
                  Actually I did the operation quite quickly.

I preformed my ripple delete......I right clicked on the time code area of the time line and went down to "Clear all Encore Chapter Markers"......then I just went back through the sequence and added my chapter markers where I know they were going....took about 1 minute.

Now if the feature were built into the program the ripple delete and moving of the markers would have taken only about 2 -3 seconds.

I only had 10 chapters.......now 25 or 30 chapters and a client standing around would have been a different story but I do see Jeff and Jim's side of it.

I think I'll put in a request just for the hell of it.

WOW 4:31am.....going late tonight!!
                  • 6. Re: Ripple Delete including Encore Chapter Markers
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                    > the ability to lock a Chapter/Sequence marker to a specific frame, moving with that frame, nesting with that frame, being deleted with that frame, is still a very wanted and needed new feature.

Agreed. I was focusing on that " It's a somewhat workable solution for now" thing. :)