7 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2008 1:18 PM by Jim_Simon

Presets - am I doing something wrong?

Wonder if someone can quickly tell me what I'm doing wrong here.
      I'm trying to add a preset which I can drop onto other clips quickly and easily.
      I take a clip and apply the effect I want to it. I then choose that effect in the Effects Control Window and try and "Save Preset" but it is greyed out. Am I missing an obvious step here?????
        • 1. Re: Presets - am I doing something wrong?
          Level 1
          Here's how I do it - apply your Effect to the video the way you like it, then select the effect - it then turns black with white text, then right click and choose Save Preset.

Make sure you make an adjustment with the Effect.
          I notice that Time Remapping is greyed out until I actually make a change. This may be true with some of the other effects, but I couldn't tell you which ones.

Note an easier way to apply many effects is just copy and paste - it's a real time saver.
          • 2. Re: Presets - am I doing something wrong?
            Level 1
            Hi Tom - thanks for your reply - however, I think you've just verified that it simply isn't working for me as that is exactly what I have done. I noticed it was greyed out and thought I would do all the changes in the Effects Control panel itself but even when I create it from scratch in there or change an already created effect then it still stays greyed out for me. It is the Time Remapping I'm trying to do here as well.
            The problem with the Copy and Paste attribute is that doesn't work properly either!!!! I've created a 50% speed remap - but when I copy it and paste attribute - although it says it's 50% it clearly isn't and sometimes is only about 10% longer than the original clip. It appears to be another bug in the software although I was hoping I was doing something wrong!!
            Thanks for your reply anyway though.
            • 3. Re: Presets - am I doing something wrong?
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
              Steve,

What happens if you shift the clip in which you want to paste the Time Remapping keyframes to a track by itself, and then paste? Do you get the full 50% change?
              • 4. Re: Presets - am I doing something wrong?
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                >It is the Time Remapping I'm trying to do here as well.

Purely theory here, but since this effect appears by default on all clips, maybe it's not possible to save presets. You could do a test by trying to save a preset to an added effect.
                • 5. Re: Presets - am I doing something wrong?
                  Level 1
                  Hi Jeff - no I get a totally different value every time (and I have been moving the clips to their own track) - in fact just tried it again now to see what it did so I could report on it and it gave me a -23.6% change - ie. it quickened the clip up!!!!!
                  Jim - I'm not sure I totally get what you mean (I'm guessing you're referring to speed, opacity and motion) - but surely the fact that presets and "save preset" in particular is supposed to be a feature it would be nice if it worked!!!!!
                  • 6. Re: Presets - am I doing something wrong?
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                    Steve,

Something is wrong with your setup or installation or technique then, because I get a modified target clip that is exactly twice as long as the original target clip every time that I paste a 50% time remap setting from the source clip to the target clip.

Check for any stray TR keyframes outside the boundaries of the source clip.
                    • 7. Re: Presets - am I doing something wrong?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >I'm guessing you're referring to speed, opacity and motion

I was. Have you tried saving presets from an added effect? Does that work, or is that grayed out as well?