6 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2008 6:21 AM by Jim_Simon

Audio Missing

Hi all, ive been editing a project on CS3 for a number of months but suddenly certain chunks of audio appear to have gone blank/silent. there are no audio waveforms in the audio files. This doses not affect all of the audio but certainly a good deal of it, i was wondering if anyone can help? im using windows btw, Cheers
        • 1. Re: Audio Missing
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          What kind of media? What are your project settings? Do the files play correctly outside of Premiere?
          • 2. Re: Audio Missing
            Level 1
            The following is the properties from one of the clips affected:
            type: AVI Movie
            File Size: 164.7 MB
            Image Size: 720 x 576
            Pixel Depth: 720
            Frame Rate: 25.00
            Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo
            Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
            Total Duration: 00:00:45:13
            Average Data Rate: 3.6 MB / second
            Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.422

i hope this helps clarify the problem? the clips play perfectly with audio when played outside of the project timeline. this means i could just start the project again, but i was really hoping this wouldnt be nessecary as i have worked for so long on this particular project...thanks for your help and let me know if theres any other details you need
            • 3. Re: Audio Missing
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
              Did you add any audio to your project via copy/paste from another PPro project?

Have you tried rendering just the audio?

Have you deleted any preview files, .cfa files or .pek files?

Have you tried rendering both audio and video for the affected clips?
              • 4. Re: Audio Missing
                Colin Brougham Level 6
                I second Jeff's suggestion to go into your project's Media Cache folder and delete the PEK and CFA files. These seem to get corrupted more often than they should (though I haven't had the problem since v3.0), and are frequently the cause of audio that won't play back. Once you reopen your project, they will automatically be rebuilt. Let PPro finish, and then check those clips. About 99.9% of the time, the audio and waveforms will be back.
                • 5. Re: Audio Missing
                  Level 1
                  I have deleted some of the PEK and CFA files from the Media Cache however it will not allow me to delete the corrupted files (the files with no sound). these are named as 'extracted' files; example : ' Girl on Swing Audio 2 Extracted_1 ' . does anyone know why this is? ive also tried rendering the video and audio and just the audio, but to no avail. i have copied and pasted some of the video and audio from another PPro project, in what way would this affect my project? thanks for everything, your my only hope!
                  • 6. Re: Audio Missing
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    Usually when a file can't be renamed/deleted, it's because it is already is use by some program. Make sure nothing is running that might be using that file when you try and delete it. A reboot might be necessary to fully release any associations.