3 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2008 7:07 AM by (robinmasters)

Glowing skin (bad lighting)

I recently made a short film, in it, there is a scene where a character is being interrogated, with a hanging light above him, this has left his skin rather glowy.

Is there any way to reduce this?
        • 1. Re: Glowing skin (bad lighting)
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          A quick and dirty way (with possibly not-good-enough results) would be to duplicate the clip on the track above the existing clip and then use a 16-point garbage matte around the face.

Use the Levels effect or the 3-way CC to adjust the tonal range of the underlying clip.

If the highlights are completely blown-out, though, there is no way to recover any image detail from them.
          • 2. Re: Glowing skin (bad lighting)
            Dan Isaacs Level 2
            > If the highlights are completely blown-out, though, there is no way to recover any image detail from them.

This is quite true. However, Premiere will scale-up the luminance range of YUV sources (such as HDV and DV) such that RGB(235,235,235) becomes RGB(255,255,255).

As I am away from my workstation right now I cannot check exactly how 3-way CC works, but I know that Levels only works in RGB.

Use the Fast Color Correction filter to scale down your levels in YUV space (thus preserving the highlights in the 235-255 range). This "headroom" may make it possible for you to extract some usable image from an otherwise blown-out video.
            • 3. Re: Glowing skin (bad lighting)
              I would use levels without a doubt. And probably from the sounds of it add a bit of blue to cool the whole thing down.

In addition you could add the new lighting effect and stick a spot on him/her, shading the surrounding area a little more..

If indeed it is HOT!!! Which the guys are on about above then they are unfortunatley correct and detail is LOST..