10 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2008 9:52 AM by (John_Uchida)

Support for Sony HDR-SRxx series

niewoo
      Hi, is there any support for the HDR-SRxx series (HDD Handycam). I don't seem to be able to import into Premiere. The native files (.m2ts) don't import. The Sony utility has a convert to MPEG2, however the resulting file has no audio when imported into Premiere - it plays back fine in windows media player however. Anyone got a flow that works here?

Thanks,
      Nick.
        • 1. Re: Support for Sony HDR-SRxx series
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

FAQ:Why is there no audio in my imported MPEG file?

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 250 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: Support for Sony HDR-SRxx series
            Harm Millaard Level 7
            Those cameras are for watching, not for editing.
            • 3. Re: Support for Sony HDR-SRxx series
              shooternz Level 6
              Google "AVS Video Converter" and use the trial version to see if it will batch convert the files to an avi.
              • 4. Re: Support for Sony HDR-SRxx series
                niewoo Level 1
                >> FAQ:Why is there no audio in my imported MPEG file?

This worked, and was actually recommended by Adobe tech support too. Only issue with this is that the recommended flow was AVCHD->MPG->AVI. There's a horrible loss of quality on the first step (AVCDH->MPG) as the resulting MPG file is resized (not very well) to 720x480 by the Sony app. So even though this works, the quality at the end is barely better than my old SD (DV) camera.

Turns out I get better luck running the camera in SD mode rather than HD, because the output is actually MPG (720x480).

>> Those cameras are for watching, not for editing.

Unfortunately seems to be the case. Play with it for a few more days, but rather an expensive toy. Any better recommendations for around $1000-$1500?

>> Google "AVS Video Converter" ...

I'll give this a try too.

Thanks,
                Nick.
                • 5. Re: Support for Sony HDR-SRxx series
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  Canon HV20/30 are good cameras in that price range and they record in HDV format to tape, can downconvert to DV, so that are formats that PP can handle.
                  • 6. Re: Support for Sony HDR-SRxx series
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    >Any better recommendations for around $1000-$1500?

Any tape based DV camera.
                    • 8. Re: Support for Sony HDR-SRxx series
                      On this same fourm: "No Audio on imported MPEG files" 1 of 9 postings

Most recent posts by Griffin Neubauer
                      No audio on inmorted mpg files - 11:18pm Apr 18, 2008 Pacific - Here is the solution:

If you've got Encore CS3 installed , copy the file ad2ac3dec.dll from the Encore CS3 directory and paste it into the PPro CS3 root directory. Once you restart CS3, you'll be able to import the file with the audio. This means if you've already have a project with the files imported, you'll need to remove the files from the project and then re-import them, or just start over with a new project...
                      Capturing from Panasonic PV-GS150 - 01:59pm Jan 10, 2008 Pacific - Don't feel Snarky Mary Ann. My firewire cable never worked with Premiere Pro 2 and my GS 150. Maybe they fixed Premiere Pro CS3 to work with the GS 150, but PP2 definitely didn't work for me with that camcorder...
                      Capturing from Panasonic PV-GS150 - 12:43pm Jan 10, 2008 Pacific - Mary Ann: I never did get my PV-GS150 to be recognized by Premiere Pro 2 or now CS3. I got rid of the 150 and bought a PV-GS320 for about $400 at bhphoto.com and that works perfectly. I did find out the reason why the 150 can't be recognized, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was...
                      Premiere Pro CS3 Integration? - 03:29pm Dec 29, 2007 Pacific - I just noticed that you CAN "Edit (audio) in Adobe Audition (3)" from the file menu in After Effects CS3... how crazy is that?... You can edit audio with Audition 3 in AE CS3 but not in Premiere Pro CS3...
                      • 9. Re: Support for Sony HDR-SRxx series
                        niewoo Level 1
                        A question on the HV30 before jumping into that one - how does the motor noise on that one sound? My last DV camcorder was mostly unusable with the built in mic.

I did get the AVCHD files converted to HDV format using Nero8. The resulting MPEG2 file doesn't appear to have any significant quality loss through the transcode. Importing into Premiere worked fine too.

The next thing I appear to be running into, which to me seems possible with any HDV camcorder, is that when down converting to SD in Premiere (e.g. to DV/AVI) there seems to be a significant loss in quality. It appears that if I need to generate SD output say for a DVD, then I need to have shot in SD. The flow when capturing in SD and keeping in SD all the way through appear to have much better results. I would have thought that using a decent down converter that keeping everything in HD until the end would have had better results, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Of course it could be that I'm going through a AVCHD->HDV conversion first, but again that output looks fine.

On other camcorder options ... there appears to be HDV compatible AVC camcorders from JVC, which would at least have the convenience of being HDD based. However if I need to generate SD output given the above issue, these ones don't appear to have a DV compatible shooting mode.

The Canon does appear to be the most flexible in supporting HDV/DV, but was hoping to get away from tape ...

Thanks,
                        Nick.
                        • 10. Re: Support for Sony HDR-SRxx series
                          > A question on the HV30 before jumping into that one - how does the motor noise on that one sound? My last DV camcorder was mostly unusable with the built in mic.

If sound is important to you, you should get a quality external microphone. I have a HV20 and I always use an external mic. IMHO, the improvement in sound in a lot more noticeable than the improvement in picture going from DV to HD.