3 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2008 6:37 AM by Jim_Simon

Can After Effects help out Premiere

fredou_79 Level 1
      Dear,

I'm using Premiere CS3. I'm editing on AspectHD, and I'd like to have my co-editor working on his machine with DV version of the footage.

To have him have exactly what I've got so far, I went this way:
      - saved a copy of my project file
      - offlined all video clips it copy and kept audio files online (to avoid
      having to reconnect them, by having my co-editor have them in the same
      drive path and directory as I do so they reconnect automatically)
      - I imported CFHD project in a brand new DV project (so that my co-editor
      can work in it and have proper specs)

So now I have an offline DV version of my project file with audio online, but when I try to reconnect medias with the DV clips, I need to reconnect them one by one; even more, I need to select them 2 times each before Premiere recognizes and accepts them as the proper media. (that is normal software workflow according to ADOBE support "except for the double selection I have to make")

When I just Make Offline and Reconnect Medias in my project file and keep the HD media, I just need to select and tie one file in each folder that hold clips and Premiere does the rest, but now it won't do it for this particular project.

I talked with ADOBE tech support and the guy told me it was how Premiere works, but couldn't help me out as to if AE could help me help PREMIERE reconnect all my file in batch instead of spending 1-2 days doing so.

Anyone knows if by importing my project file in AE I could batch reconnect medias ?

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Can After Effects help out Premiere
          Level 1
          Off topic if you are using Cineform on one machine and need it on more than one PC download the free NEO Decoder from Cineforms web site.

It will allow the other person to work with your CFHD AVI's and not need Aspect installed.
          • 2. Re: Can After Effects help out Premiere
            fredou_79 Level 1
            Thank you Howard, didn't know about this.

But, still my co-editor doesn't have the Hard Drive space to have the files copied (1.4GB) and I don't have the money to buy it for him.

So I'd rather find a way to reconnect DV media to replace CFHD ones.

I posted on After Effects forum and it seems the program will respond as Premiere does. What about BRIDGE, is is there a way to reconnect media via it ?

This is like the basis of offline/online editing I can't believe that ADOBE technician haven't included something in the Creative Suite to do this !!?
            • 3. Re: Can After Effects help out Premiere
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              These days, with the low cost of hard drives and the sheer power of machines to handle fully uncompressed HD even, offline editing just isn't as necessary as it used to be. I can understand why it's not a high priority for Adobe engineers.