10 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2008 10:01 AM by the_wine_snob

Must I Tell Premiere the Format of Imported Clips?

I'm on my first day, first task, with Premiere - a friend urging me to use it....

I'm importing short clips from my canon digital camera and want to make a simple movie with them.

First up Adobe stops me in my tracks by asking me to 'load preset', which means choosing from a list of video formats.

I don't know if it is talking about what I'm going to put into it or what I'm expecting out of it??

If it's what I put in then there's nothing that fits. My camera .avi files are, it seems, Audio: 88kbps, 8bit and Video: 15frames/ps 282kbps.

What should i do, if anything?

Try it and see?

Well, yes, I'm going to do that. That'll take a while though, I don't get much time at the computer. It only takes a second to write this and it might be the quickest way to get moving.

I notice in the preview pane the clips I put in are running much too fast.. that seems an indication of something wrong.

regards,

ab :)
        • 1. Re: Must I Tell Premiere the Format of Imported Clips?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I think your friend may have steered you wrong on this one. Premiere Pro is a professional level editor, and generally prefers professional media, which yours is not.

I would recommend using other software, rather than spending $800 to edit that kind of consumer "video".
          • 2. Re: Must I Tell Premiere the Format of Imported Clips?
            Level 1
            Thank you for your speedy and carefully considered reply.

My friend also lent me a book, for my edification - called "How to do everything with online video" by Andrew Shalat. He doesn't answer my question, either. In has last chapter he begins with:

"Sometimes simpler software applications just don't cut the mustard. Even though your project is a simple two-minute tale, using a higher-end video editing program such as Adobe Premier Pro may actually be easier than wrestling with a program with limited capabilities such as Windows Movie Maker."

And I was inclined to agree with that just as a matter of principle.

We - there's not just myself involved here - do entertain thoughts of perhaps creating something quite ambitious, we, I, must confess though perhaps such as we have no right to such ambitions. We did think this tool might be right to carry us onwards.

We also have surmised that if we developed some expertise we could show it to our growing children and open some horizons for them - possibly, again, entertaining ambitions above our station, sorry.

As for the money, it is already spent and I doubt they'd entertain the thought of refunding on the basis that we bought above our level of competence or justifiable ambition.

So perhaps there is someone somewhere who could answer this apparently very difficult question for me.
            • 3. Re: Must I Tell Premiere the Format of Imported Clips?
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              Convert the material you have to DV AVI type 2. Use Google to search for converters. Be prepared for heavy quality losses and a bumpy road.

It is like having a glass of orange juice and trying to restore the original oranges. Good luck.
              • 4. Re: Must I Tell Premiere the Format of Imported Clips?
                Level 1
                Well I got my first output. I'm inclined to think the preset refers to output rather than input. It didn't seem necessary to do any conversions.

The quality was fine - I'm not expecting much, being fully aware (of course) that I'm inputting video from a 4megapixel camera that is not even set to work at its best.

It was in fact a largely black screen with the video in a box in the centre - on my pc anyway. A >2gig .avi file. I suppose it'd shrink if I tried to put it on DVD, which is the next thing I'll try.

:)
                • 5. Re: Must I Tell Premiere the Format of Imported Clips?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  >I doubt they'd entertain the thought of refunding on the basis that we bought above our level of competence or justifiable ambition.

On the off chance doing so was actually considered, I believe the policy is 30 days for a refund. And though I've never tried it, I don't believe an explanation will have to pass any kind of torture test to be accepted.

Having said that, Premiere Pro is a very competent tool, in the hands of a competent person. If you decide to continue forward, it certainly can't hurt to become competent. Not just about editing, but also in the basics of video. And on that note, picking up a tape based MiniDV camera should be seriously considered for best results.
                  • 6. Re: Must I Tell Premiere the Format of Imported Clips?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Arthur,

I think you have taken the "first step." You are correct, the Presets are the foundation of your Project and your intended OUTPUT is what should determine them, along with consideration for your source material.

If you wish to output to DVD, and have XYZ media, you would choose one Preset, if you wish to output to some form of Web content, you have to define which Preset best describes that, with your XYZ media.

The choice of Preset is a balancing act between desired output and input source material. Your source material IS limiting, but you can probably get OK results, so long as you are not trying for too much in your output. You may have to make several conversions (as Harm says, "Google."), but you should be able to get something out. Your pleasure with it will depend on how critical you are.

The task will be daunting, and require a bit of "crystal ball reading," but you are at least on the right track. The learning curve might be steep, but a few reads of the manual, and other materials, should ease the task. Don't forget the F1 key, and also the Premiere-Wiki. It has a lot of tutorial material, where others will show you "How Things Are Done In Premiere Pro."

Most of all, have fun, and learn. Try new things, and do not become frustrated.

Hunt
                    • 7. Re: Must I Tell Premiere the Format of Imported Clips?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >the Presets are the foundation of your Project and your intended OUTPUT is what should determine them

I disagree here. The original media is what determines the preset. It's always best to work in a preset that matches that media. The Adobe Media Encoder can convert to various output formats if needed.

Premiere does not have a preset matching Aurther's original media because it's just not used regularly by professionals. So, steps to work around this may need to be taken. Conversion to DV files is one suggested step.
                      • 8. Re: Must I Tell Premiere the Format of Imported Clips?
                        Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                        In the New Project dialog, select the Custom tab and set up a Desktop editing mode project that matches the source footage.

And yes, I agree with Jim. Set up your project to match your source footage and then export to whatever format you need.
                        • 9. Re: Must I Tell Premiere the Format of Imported Clips?
                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                          Your footage is probably Motion JPEG which means you need to invest $20 or so into a codec so that you can edit the footage without conversion.

Morgan sells one, http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/ as does MainConcept, http://www.mainconcept.com/site/prosumer-products-4/motion-jpeg-codec-785/faqs-794.html
                          • 10. Re: Must I Tell Premiere the Format of Imported Clips?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Jim & Jeff,

I'll buy that. Thanks for the clarification.

Hunt