11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2007 11:44 AM by (Jim_Sky)

Exporting MP3 audio...

Level 1
      Is there any way to export MP3 compressed audio DIRECTLY from Premiere Pro (either 2 or 3)?!?!

Thanks in advance!

J. Sky 8^)
        • 1. Re: Exporting MP3 audio...
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          The only way I know of to export audio is with the File>Export>Audio... option. Check there and see if .mp3 is an option. (I doubt it is, though.)
          • 2. Re: Exporting MP3 audio...
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5
            I don't believe so. There are free converters to take a WAV file to MP3.
            • 3. Re: Exporting MP3 audio...
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

See File formats supported for export in the PPro Help.

Cheers
              Eddie

Forum FAQ
              Premiere Pro Wiki
              - Over 250 frequently answered questions
              - Over 100 free tutorials
              - Maintained by editors like you
              • 4. Re: Exporting MP3 audio...
                Level 1
                There isn't an MP3 option under audio export (I wouldn't have asked if there had been).

I rather suspected that there wasn't any. I was mostly hoping y'all knew of a plug-in or some such...

Up to now I've been exporting to .wav and doing a "Save As..." from Audition. Presumably I'll be able to do pretty much the same with Soundbooth. {fingers crossed}

Thanks all!
                • 5. Re: Exporting MP3 audio...
                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

Jim, I'm not sure why you're trying to export MP3 files from a video editor. It sounds like you have other tools better suited to the job.

Cheers
                  Eddie

Forum FAQ
                  Premiere Pro Wiki
                  • 6. Re: Exporting MP3 audio...
                    Level 1
                    Eddie,

Sorry, I didn't give the whole story 'cuz I was just looking for a general answer...

I capture and compress my church's sermons to both video and audio files for download from our website. I compress the video to .wmv but the audio to MP3. The audio file is intended to be the most easily downloaded, so we do everything we can to make it compact (which in this case means Mono, 8kbps, 8000Hz). Granted, the sound isn't anywhere near ideal, but the file sizes are basically never more than 2MByte, so it's a "reasonable" download even over phone modem.

Since I record the first service sermon, I'm usually processing it during the 2nd service. My goal is to have it all online by the end of the 2nd service. What I currently do (using PP2.0 on my Inspiron 9100) is export the audio to WAV format and start the video compression. Then, while that's going on, I open Audition and load the WAV (which was saved as Mono, 32kHz and I think 16kbps) then do a SAVE AS to the lower sample rate and bit depth with MP3 compression.

I asked the question to try to avoid the export-load-SAVE AS steps. Didn't work!

FWIW- I've also just experimented with Soundbooth and find that there is no way (that I could quickly see) to change the sample rate or bit depth and that I can only save to MP3 with a rate of 11kHz as the lowest. This means that I shan't be able to get the file size as low as I wanted/needed. Thankfully, I've left Audition on my 'puter, so I can still use that!

So, long-winded though it was, there's the rest of the story!

Thanks!
                    • 7. Re: Exporting MP3 audio...
                      Eddie Lotter Level 4

Don't export the audio from PPro, just go directly to audition and import the captured video clip and export the audio to MP3.

Cheers
                      Eddie

Forum FAQ
                      Premiere Pro Wiki
                      • 8. Re: Exporting MP3 audio...
                        Level 1
                        Eddie,

Good thought, but this doesn't allow me to include any editing I might have needed to do to the video (which happens occasionally) and also, I find, doesn't let me do an immediate save as MP3 (as I want it) because the audio track is stereo and I want to output mono. Yes, I can convert it in Audition, but that just loses me the time I saved going "direct".

Good idea for many situations, doesn't work for mine. Thanks, though!

- Jim 8^}

FWIW- I'm completely BUMMED at how limited Soundbooth seems to be!
                        • 9. Re: Exporting MP3 audio...
                          Curt Wrigley Level 4
                          Jim,

Off topic but have you checked out this product for sermon delivery/web interface:

http://www.sermon.info/

We just started using it instead of cobbling together our own download pages. It works great, non techkies can update it, it automatically makes podcasts, does searching by topic, speaker, date... You can upload wav or mp3 to it and it automatically converts to low bw mp3 for you. You simply paste the code it generate for you on your web page so it appears integrated. Pretty slick product. Free one year try out.

Curt
                          • 10. Re: Exporting MP3 audio...
                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                            Now that is just plain cool. That's serving the community by finding a niche need and filling it. I love great ideas, and that is just a great idea.
                            • 11. Re: Exporting MP3 audio...
                              Level 1
                              Curt,

Thanks for the suggestion (which I don't see as "off topic" at all since I brought it up)!

I'll look more into it and discuss it with them's what makes the money decisions at the church!

Thanks again!

In Christ,
                              Jim 8^)

- no offense intended towards non-believers!