11 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2008 7:38 AM by (scott_bell)

log P2 in Premiere Pro CS3 for Avid Adrenaline editing?

I would like to log P2 footage in Premiere and then export an EDL or ?AAF? that an Avid Adrenaline system can use.

So far we have been able to import the exported EDL and AAF, but we can't relink the P2 footage to either of these imported files.

We don't deal with a lot of P2 footage. I like the possibility of being able to use Premiere to both log and rough-cut P2 footage, but if we can't link the EDL or AAF to the original footage this possibility loses its charm for me.

I'm currently logging with P2CMS, which I am fine with but which doesn't allow a rough cut. I'm looking for the equivalent or better P2 version of Sony's PDZ-1.

And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear that it's something about the P2 wrapper, etc.

Anyway, if you can help or have a solution, I'd love to hear from you.
        • 1. Re: log P2 in Premiere Pro CS3 for Avid Adrenaline editing?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Why not just use the Avid for all of it?
          • 3. Re: log P2 in Premiere Pro CS3 for Avid Adrenaline editing?
            Level 1
            I completely agree....but that's not the way the workflow is set up. Why not change the workflow for P2? Because it would cause us more problems than it solves, and because little of our footage is P2.

Right now Producers log the footage, direct Editors to the data, and then sit in on the edit sessions. There isn't enough time for the editors to log footage with the producers, and besides ruffling feathers there isn't enough time for the producers to edit their own ads.

That's why we need the separate logging and editing applications.

With beta's we use Avid Media Log. With XDCam we use Sony PDZ-1. With P2 I'm using P2CMS and I like it, but it doesn't let me do an edit-time-saving rough cut the way PDZ-1 does...or the way I think Premiere might be able to, but can't get to work/figure out
            • 4. Re: log P2 in Premiere Pro CS3 for Avid Adrenaline editing?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >That's why we need the separate logging and editing applications.

No way to get the producers and editors working with the same program, but different machines? That would be the most time efficient. Producers ingest and log right in Premiere (many usable columns for this in the bins). Then pass the project file to editors for final cut. The same footage can be copied over to both machines from original P2 media, or transferred via external, etc. No relinking problem, producers notes in the bin...very efficient.
              • 5. Re: log P2 in Premiere Pro CS3 for Avid Adrenaline editing?
                Level 1
                'i' No way to get the producers and editors working with the same program, but different machines?

Hey Jim - I agree that would be the most efficient, but again I don't think we could make it work. We have one copy of Premiere running on our graphic designers station, all the final cuts are made on 3 busy Avid stations. We pretty much only have Premiere for odd little tasks...

I could definitely see having multiple versions of Premiere running on multiple machines, but unless the Premiere project files can load onto the Avids, we would have to start weaning off the Avids for that to happen effectively (perfectly fine with me, I have no love for Avid).

Thanks for the reply, it did get me thinking in this direction.
                • 6. Re: log P2 in Premiere Pro CS3 for Avid Adrenaline editing?
                  Colin Brougham Level 6
                  Scott,

The following is kind of a long shot, but may be worth a try. I don't have access to an Avid right now, so I can't test it, but what I'm proposing is a exploiting two particular methodologies of these two NLEs...

1) Avid can edit from a P2 MXF folder structure, but also (and seems to prefer) editing from a consolidated Video + Audio folder (as is the case with the Avid MediaFiles folder). Avid only cares about the video and audio files, and not the clip, icon, proxy or anything else.

2) When using Premiere Pro's Project Manager on a project containing MXF footage, the trimmed/copied footage is all dumped in a single directory, with only the video and audio MXF files, and not the clip, icon, proxy or anything else.

See where I'm going with this?

What I'm suggesting is:

1) Do your rough cut in PPro
                  2) Run the project manager to trim/consolidate your media and create a new project file
                  3) Close the original project, and open the trimmed project file
                  4) If necessary, relink the footage, and then export an AAF from the trimmed project file
                  5) Take the AAF file to the Avid, along with the consolidated video and audio files (in a folder called 'Avid MediaFiles')
                  6) Create a new Avid project at your media's framerate and resolution, and import the AAF
                  7) (Hopefully) Relink the footage that was trimmed and copied onto your Avid media drives
                  8) Have a beer

Again, no guarantees that this will work, but I think it's worth a shot. Post back on your results...
                  • 7. Re: log P2 in Premiere Pro CS3 for Avid Adrenaline editing?
                    Level 1
                    Thanks - I'll give it a try and be sure to post back with results!
                    • 8. Re: log P2 in Premiere Pro CS3 for Avid Adrenaline editing?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >it did get me thinking in this direction.

As long as your thinking in that direction, it might make more sense to get one more Avid copy for the odd little tasks, like logging, than three more copies of Premiere for editing.
                      • 9. Re: log P2 in Premiere Pro CS3 for Avid Adrenaline editing?
                        Level 1
                        re: one more Avid copy

Yes, either that or one more Premiere copy. I don't know if either would be cost effective for the small amount of P2 that we deal with. We're attempting Colin's steps right now. This whole thread is spurred mostly by curiosity at this point, we will see what happens.
                        • 10. Re: log P2 in Premiere Pro CS3 for Avid Adrenaline editing?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          Good luck. And report back any success so others can benefit.
                          • 11. Re: log P2 in Premiere Pro CS3 for Avid Adrenaline editing?
                            Level 1
                            We went through the Project Manager and AAF steps. The timeline and placeholder clips loaded...Everything worked well up until it came time to relink the footage. The avid just refuses to see the consolidated video and audio files, no matter where we place them.

Previous tests we did referenced the source P2 instead of project manager'd consolidated clips, but they had the same issue, wouldn't relink the footage.

Right now I'm thinking P2CMS logging and very specific video columns on scripts is going to continue to be the way for us to go.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice - I'll post back if anything new develops.