4 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2008 5:36 AM by Jeff Bellune

Pixel aspect ratio (PAR), resolution question

Hi,

Sorry, I know this is tiresome issue, but I have studied this and tried it and still don't know the best route for my situation.

Production Premium CS3 (Windows)

Target output: Flash 320x240 I assume this is PAR 1.0 (square), Display Aspect Ratio (DAR) 4:3 I use the Flash encoder in PPro.

Source 1: DV 720x480 PAR 0.9 DAR 4:3

Source 2: motion graphics from AE. no DV is used in this. A lot more footage of this than source 1.

Approach 1:
      Make the PPRo project 720x480 PAR 0.9 DAR 4:3
      Make Source 2 as 720x540 PAR 1.0

Approach 2:
      Make the PPRo project 640x480 PAR 1.0 DAR 4:3
      Make Source 2 as 640x480 PAR 1.0

Which would you do? or something else?
      My reasoning for favoring Approach 2 is that I want the pitiful flash 320x240 to look as good as it can and I assumed an exact multiple resolution would help the converter. The output is mostly Source 2 material. PPro seems to adjust the DV quite well into 640x480 PAR 1.0.

In case it matters, or if it gives me more options, the green screen DV is run through Ultra before it goes to PPro. I maintain the uncompressed DV format unchanged but could change it there if helpful.

thanks for any ideas,
      fred
        • 1. Re: Pixel aspect ratio (PAR), resolution question
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          I say take Approach 3: use a 720x480 DV PPro project preset, and use the same setting for your AE comps. Since it sounds like you've got both pieces of software, I'm going to assume you've got the Production Premium bundle, which include Dynamic Link. This will let you create a new AE project/comp from PPro that will match your PPro project settings. You can then use the AE comp as a clip in your PPro project. As you create new comps in AE, simply dynamically link them (which basically equates to importing) them in your PPro project. You never have to render a thing, if you're going to Flash video, unless you want to preview the entire timeline in realtime.

It's a good idea, where possible, to keep your PPro project setting and your AE comp settings the same, as it will help you maintain things like frame rate, frame size, and field order. While not strictly vital, it just helps eliminates points of confusion--plus, you can easily make a DV tape master of your finished project for archiving. Just another point to consider...

As far as outputting to Flash--your DV-spec'ed project will resize perfectly well to 320x240, without having to start with a square-pixel project. The math of a 720x480 frame and a 0.9 PAR works out to 640x480, 1.0 PAR, which will scale cleanly to 320x240. I've done this frequently, and with great results.

Anyway, that's my two bits...
          • 2. Re: Pixel aspect ratio (PAR), resolution question
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            I'd take approach 3 as well. Make the Comp match your footage in resolution, frame rate and PAR.
            • 3. Re: Pixel aspect ratio (PAR), resolution question
              Level 1
              Thanks to you both,

That works great. I had avoided dynamic link due to memory concerns, but now I'm hooked.

The tutorial in the PP help about PP/AE workflow includes an AE render, copy to PP and replace with bin clip. But it appears not to be necessary to render in AE to get updates to the AE comp in PP. Perhaps that was just an archiving strategy to have the file in PP?

thanks,
              fred
              • 4. Re: Pixel aspect ratio (PAR), resolution question
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                >Perhaps that was just an archiving strategy to have the file in PP?

Perhaps, but it may be a result of the knowledge that not every PPro user will have access to Dynamic Link.