7 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2008 7:16 AM by Jim_Simon

Problems using the Program Monitor

Dear Premiere users,

I recently bought Adobe Premiere CS3 and i'm having problems using the Program Monitor.

I cant see anything off screen. It just wont show anything if its outside the boundaries of the screen. I can adjust the zoom level but that wont change anything even if i set it to full screen.
      Another problem I'm having is that it wont show motion paths or clip handles. Even if I make a motion path in the Effects Control window it wont show the path in the Program Monitor.

I really appreciate any advice on this because it drives me crazy. I already tried installing it again but that wont solve the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,
      Peter
        • 1. Re: Problems using the Program Monitor
          shooternz Level 6
          There should be nothing outside the boundaries of the screen if the project dimension is the same as the source material.

Motion paths to which you refer do not display in the Monitor.

Sounds like you may need to use AEFX to do what you want.
          • 2. Re: Problems using the Program Monitor
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

Please post a screen shot of your PPro desktop. It will help if we see what you're talking about.

Cheers
            Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
            - Over 300 frequently answered questions
            - Over 250 free tutorials
            - Maintained by editors like you
            Forum FAQ
            • 3. Re: Problems using the Program Monitor
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >I cant see anything off screen. It just wont show anything if its outside the boundaries of the screen.

I'm not understanding this one. The program monitor shows exactly what was recorded. How do you expect it to show what was not in front of the lens, and didn't get recorded? I mean, if Mary is in front of the lens, and Jill is off to the side, no way any program anywhere is going to show you Jill.

>it wont show motion paths

Click the effect in the Effects Control Panel for these to show up.
              • 4. Re: Problems using the Program Monitor
                shooternz Level 6
                Jim - I think he is referring to a monitor similar to AEFX whereby you can have motion controls and key frames displaying outside the image area. eg fly something from out side the frame to inside the frame. (I maybe wrong though)
                • 5. Re: Problems using the Program Monitor
                  Level 1
                  First of all I hope you are being sarcastic Jim. Sorry for being not that clear but I'm not stupid :).

Craig Howard is right. I thought that the Program Monitor was similarly to AEFX. But I suppose I was wrong on this one? So you cant get something to display outside the image area? If I place a clip outside the project dimension it just disappears in the Program Monitor.

And about the motion paths. I thought I read in the Premiere help files that they do show up in the Program Monitor. The topic says: "Adjust position, scale, and rotation" or "Animate motion in the Program Monitor ". There are pictures over there that show clip handles and motion paths in the Program Monitor. Clicking the effect wont do anything for me. Its like my video driver cant get them to show or something.

Edit: I found a tutorial here:

http://digitalproducer.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=26660&afterinter=tr ue

They are dragging frames off screen and are using the handles and borders around the frame to adjust them. So I guess it should be possible, but how?

Thanks for the help.
                  • 6. Re: Problems using the Program Monitor
                    Averdahl Level 3
                    >They are dragging frames off screen and are using the handles and borders around the frame to adjust them. So I guess it should be possible, but how?

1. Reduce the View Zoom Level in the Program panel to lets say 50%
                    2. Click on the clip in the Program panel
                    3. Or, select the clip on the Timeline and go to Effect Controls and select Motion

That should do the trick. :)

/Roger
                    • 7. Re: Problems using the Program Monitor
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >Sorry for being not that clear but I'm not stupid.

OK, maybe you're not, but some who come here really are. It is not impossible for someone to ask what I genuinely thought you were asking.