4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2007 3:25 AM by (JamesJaeger)

CS3 not compatible with 2.0 projects??

I finished editing a project in 2.0 and installed CS3 to finish. Now when I try to render the project it crashes and then I when I restart all of my media is unlinked so I relink save, crash, repeat forever. I guess I need to reinstll 2.0 this CS crap isn't working for me.
        • 1. Re: CS3 not compatible with 2.0 projects??
          Level 1
          Can you provide us more info about the projects?

- Aanarav
          • 2. Re: CS3 not compatible with 2.0 projects??
            Level 1
            The project is 1 1/2 hours long and is only a one camera shoot. It was editied in native HD using the premiere pro preset as is.
            I am using a Quad Core system with the best a recommended video card, etc. Premiere will not render. It crashes in the middle of rendering with the dreaded can't export video frame error. Watching the task manager I see windows running a four at 100% and the amount of memory premiere is using continue to climb until I get the error, after about 2GB of memory use, which is all I have. I'd be interested to know if ANYONE has been able to finish a project with CS3.
            • 3. Re: CS3 not compatible with 2.0 projects??
              Level 1
              I don't know how much memory Premiere is supposed to be using, but I was monitoring memory usage during capture and it is staying right around 150k, but rendering starts at 1gb of memory usage and continues to climb until premiere crashes.
              • 4. Re: CS3 not compatible with 2.0 projects??
                Level 1
                >I finished editing a project in 2.0 and installed CS3 to finish. Now when I try to render the project it crashes and then I when I restart all of my media is unlinked so I relink save, crash, repeat forever. I guess I need to reinstll 2.0 this CS crap isn't working for me.

I had a similar problem. I started a 60-minute documentary under Premiere 6.5 and finished it in Pro 2.0. Nightmares!

I thus recommend starting and finishing each project in one version. I also recommend that when you get a version of Premiere running well on a particular system and you want to upgrade, you build an entirely new system and upgrade on THAT sys. Keep the old system because you have possibly scores or hundreds of hours into getting it to work perfectly. Sell these old systems off as turn-key systems to editors that are less experienced and don't need the power (yet). I have been doing this and it works out well. I am also developing a chain of trainees who will someday be able to COMPLETELY TAKE OVER MY EDITING POST AND THUS RELEASE ME FROM THIS HELL (so I can go back to producing and directing).

James