12 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2008 11:02 AM by (CCarroll)

Video and Audio don't line up...

(Michael_Martorella)
      So here are all the specs: I have a macbook pro 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo, 4gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram. I have an old canon zr50mc (not sure if thats compatible) and a canon dm50 on cam mic. When I captured I did capture to tape and it previewed fine. At the end it said some frames were dropped during capture. When I set in and out points in the source viewer the audio was not lined up with the video, and then again in the canvas and timeline it did not line up either. Any thoughts?
        • 1. Re: Video and Audio don't line up...
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Maybe the Mac forum?
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc44dfc/

But, if you are running the Windows version of P3...

First, work through the steps here http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the 15 questions at the end of that link... for question #1 you may use the FREE http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
          • 2. Re: Video and Audio don't line up...
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            Disconnect the camera after capture. Sometimes leaving it attached can cause playback issues.
            • 3. Re: Video and Audio don't line up...
              (Michael_Martorella) Level 1
              So I just checked back and I found that during the actual capture the audio is off from the video. If I watch it on the camera its fine. I remembered I did drop the tape before I started recording but if its fine on camera shouldnt it be fine when capturing? Is it possible premiere doesnt spport my camera (Canon ZR50MC)? I tried posting on the mac section but no one has responded. Thanks.
              • 4. Re: Video and Audio don't line up...
                Ok, now I managed to capture it with the audio in line but when I play the source clip or put it on the timeline it shifts again...
                • 5. Re: Video and Audio don't line up...
                  Oblivion Dust Level 1
                  I think that your dropped frames are causing your audio to go out of sync. We used to have that problem alot with our old Canon XL1-S. You never notice the problem playing the tape back in the camera because it has it's own clock that keeps everything in sync. Premiere doesn't seem to do that (with DV). You could try to re-capture and pray it doesn't drop frames again. You could note where the frames drop on the tape and just skip over those areas when capturing (assuming you don't really need the video at those points). Or you could capure the video via analog and let the camera correct for the dropped frames assuming you are capable of doing so and can put up with the loss of quality.
                  • 6. Re: Video and Audio don't line up...
                    I thought of that but when it previews (even if I start it in the middle via capture in and out points) it still messes with the audio. I'm going to try another tape and post back with the issues. I've heard a lot about canon's screwing with this type of stuff (I even tried capturing w/o the external drive in) I'm getting fed up with them.
                    • 7. Re: Video and Audio don't line up...
                      Just tried a completely different tape and its doing the same thing. Now I'm thinking premiere just doesnt support this camera (its an old one and this is the first time I'm using ppro coming from FCE) Not a horrible situation since I'm due for a new one anyways.
                      • 8. Re: Video and Audio don't line up...
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        >I think that your dropped frames are causing your audio to go out of sync.

That one baffles me. If capture drops a frame, it'll drop both video and audio, as they're locked. Sync should remain in, but missing one frame of both.
                        • 9. Re: Video and Audio don't line up...
                          Oblivion Dust Level 1
                          Alot of consumer DV cameras don't have locked audio like DVCAM or some prosumer cameras. This means that the audio can wander a bit, and it's the camera's clock that keeps in sync in the end. I would guess (I don't know for certain) that the dropout during capture must throw off the audio sync in Premiere. What happens is that the audio begins to drift at the point of the drop and by the end of the clip it is way off. It can't be fixed by just offsetting the audio either because the audio isn't just off by one frame, it has wandered off completely and it just gets worse the longer the clip is. At least that is how it works on our XL1-S. I've noticed that the newer Canon XL series cameras have the option to lock audio in DV mode.
                          • 10. Re: Video and Audio don't line up...
                            Oblivion Dust Level 1
                            http://forums.creativecow.net/archivepost/8/656794

I guess this says it better than I.
                            • 11. Re: Video and Audio don't line up...
                              Level 1
                              I have had issues with dv glitches causing the a\v synch problems before in earlier versions of premiere. I usually found that the issue was caused by the capture device, which sounds like your camera in this case.

Couple of questions for basic trouble shooting. Are you watching your video on the computer display and listening to computer speakers? Often if one monitors the DV Stream out( firewire out to camera, analog out of camera to TV) the picture and the computer's sound it can seem out of synch when actually all is well. Visey versy as the case may be.

And, is the audio consistent in lagging or being ahead of the picture? If so, it shouldn't be to hard to re-synch it.

Best case scenario, your computer's memory was devoured and is causing your sound card to lagg, re-boot and your long nightmare is over. Not so likely but it has happened to me before.

good luck
                              • 12. Re: Video and Audio don't line up...
                                Level 1
                                One more thing to check...
                                If you are monitoring video through a firewire device and audio through speakers connected directly to the computer, you will have sync issues. this only effects the monitoring though.
                                If this is the problem, the solution is to make sure you monitor video and audio through the same device.