11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2009 12:08 PM by the_wine_snob

No PCM audio with MPEG2 Multiplexer

I'm trying to export a commercial in HD using Adobe Media Encoder. I just recently upgraded to CS3 and did all the updates. In CS2 I had no trouble making an MPEG-2 file with PCM audio, but now it tells me "Audio Codec selected is not compatible with this multiplexing mode. Please change the selection."

Any ideas why this is?

I'm using a Matrox Axio LE system and original footage is DVCPro-HD

Settings:

Quality: 5
      NTSC
      1920x1080 29.97df, upper, PAR 1.0
      Profile: Main
      Level: High
      CBR: 35
      GOP & Advanced settings: default

PCM audio format
      Stereo
      48kHz

MPEG2 Multiplexer

I've tried all kinds of different configurations and it keeps giving me this error. As far as I know - there should be no reason why I can't multiplex with PCM audio.

Thanks for any help.
        • 1. Re: No PCM audio with MPEG2 Multiplexer
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
          It could be that the particular method Premiere Pro uses for that MPEG setting just doesn't allow it. It happens to me too (I just checked).

Used MPEG audio? Or use a better codec, like the MPEG-2 Blu-ray setting.
          • 2. Re: No PCM audio with MPEG2 Multiplexer
            Level 1
            Well, my hands are a bit tied because I have to follow specs given to me from the TV station, and they want PCM and the deliverable has to be a file. I have a call in to their chief engineer to see if MPEG audio is OK.

I've also tried the Blu-ray setting, and it only gives me options for TS or None multiplexing. When I choose TS - I get the same error.

It's odd that this worked in CS2, but not now.
            • 3. Re: No PCM audio with MPEG2 Multiplexer
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              It couldn't have fully worked in 2.0, because DVCPro HD was not supported in 2.0, so there is something new in what you're doing here.
              • 4. Re: No PCM audio with MPEG2 Multiplexer
                Level 1
                Thanks for the reply Jim. But as I stated in the first thread, I'm using an Axio LE system which does support DVCPro HD. But honestly, I don't think that the source footage matters.

Last week, using CS2, I was able to create multiplexed MPEG2s using PCM audio, and today using CS3 I can't. It doesn't matter what the source footage is. So yes, it fully worked before.

I'm totally willing to accept that it's something I might be doing. I just can't figure out what it is. But Steven Gotz confirmed that he is having the same issue.
                • 5. Re: No PCM audio with MPEG2 Multiplexer
                  Level 1
                  Its not an issue.

Why are you delivering an MPEG for broadcast, why not give an uncompressed AVI?
                  • 6. Re: No PCM audio with MPEG2 Multiplexer
                    Level 1
                    So Howard, are you saying that this works fine for you? That would be good to know.

Believe me, I'd rather deliver an uncompressed AVI, but the TV station I'm sending these spots to wants MPEGs. So that's why.
                    • 7. Re: No PCM audio with MPEG2 Multiplexer
                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                      If you are delivering HD at this point in time, it is not unusual that someone might ask for a Blu-ray compatible file. Which if configured a certain way, is basically the same format as HDV.

I don't know why it is impossible to export the audio as PCM, but it is impossible.
                      • 8. Re: No PCM audio with MPEG2 Multiplexer
                        brentwgraham

Whether you're DG systems, or anything.  The most typical file format for most broadcast television stations is MPEG-2ts, which is yes blu-ray, and yes HDV.

I've also found it a pain that CS3 won't export an MPEG2ts file while using PCM audio, the only way I've gotten it to work is by exporting using the same settings, but instead of PCM, I use dolby-digital... which gives you three free uses and then you have to pay Dolby for an activation code.

So... in essence... Premiere "pro" CS3 is completely unable to export a "broadcast ready" MPEG2-ts file.

So far, EVERY SINGLE television station throughout Texas that I've dealt with asks for this type of file... of course they just require PCM... but I think Adobe has something going with Dolby.  There isn't any reason we couldn't produce an MPEG2-ts with PCM audio multiplexed in, as you were once able to do so in CS2.

I think we're getting screwed.

• 9. Re: No PCM audio with MPEG2 Multiplexer
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I think Adobe has something going with Dolby.  There isn't any reason we couldn't produce an MPEG2-ts with PCM audio multiplexed in, as you were once able to do so in CS2.

While this does not address any lack of PCM in MPEG, the "encoder" that you are talking about is the Minnetonka SurCode DD 5.1 SS encoder. It is licensed through Dolby labs, but the "deal" is with Minnetonka Audio. Actually, if one purchases that encoder for DD 5.1 SS, they get a better price by doing it from PrPro vs doing so from the Minnetonka Web site.

One should still be able to Export as AC3 (stereo) from PrPro without having to bother with the SurCode encoder. As I do not have CS3, I cannot confirm this, but the SurCode is just for DD 5.1 SS Audio.

Also, as most of my Projects are DD 5.1 SS (using the SurCode plug-in), I have not even tried to multiplex to PCM/WAV, so cannot comment on that end.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: No PCM audio with MPEG2 Multiplexer
                            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CS3, I think the surcode is required for any ac3 from Premiere, but you can encode in Encore to ac3.

• 11. Re: No PCM audio with MPEG2 Multiplexer
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Stanley,

You could well be correct. As I have no versions without the SurCode plug-in, I cannot check this out. You are correct about AC3 (non 5.1) from Encore.

Thanks,

Hunt