27 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2008 5:31 AM by (Simon_Williams)

How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?

Level 1
      Hi

As the subject says, how do I import footage from premier pro cs3 into after effects. I'm getting rather frustrated trying to figure this out.

Via copy & paste I can copy into after effects but this copys the whole of the track on the timeline, where as I just want 10 seconds copied. The 10 seconds I want to copy is a segment & was highlighted when I clicked copy.

Also when the full track gets copied, all my edits aren't copied & I get the raw track copied???

I've googled this, tried the "Add Dynamic Link" but all I want is to copy 10 seconds of footage from premier into after effects, add my effect & then copy it back, and I can't figure out how to do this simple thing :-(

Any help :-)

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Export out the ten second segment first.
          • 2. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
            Level 1
            Can you expand upon that please as I don't know what you mean, how do I export out the 10 second segment???
            • 3. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

Use the Work Area Bar.

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
              Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
              - Over 300 frequently answered questions
              - Over 250 free tutorials
              - Maintained by editors like you
              Forum FAQ
              • 4. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                Level 1
                I am still not getting this.

I highlight the selection I want to copy into after effects. This section is cut & is around 10 seconds long.
                I copy & paste it & then paste it into after effects but it pastes my entire footage without any off the edits I have made.

If I make a dynamic link it doesn't actually have the footage in after effects.

Having searched loads for this I can find no other answer than copy & paste.

Please please could you guy be more specific with your answers as I just can't figure this one?
                • 5. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                  Put the workarea bar over the area you want to export. Then use Export Movie and select DV AVI. Use the results in After EFfects.

Or, learn how to copy and paste correctly.

To make it easier, select and copy the clip section you want to use, create a new sequence, paste it into the new sequence, then copy the clip in the new sequence. That way when you paste into After Effects, it will at least be at the beginning of the timeline in AE. USe the work area in AE to restrict the comp to just what you want to work on.
                  • 6. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    >how do I export out the 10 second segment???

Time to start reading the manual, Simon. That's a pretty basic feature of Premiere. If you don't know how to do that, you're not quite ready to edit yet. It's no wonder you're having a hard time.
                    • 7. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                      Level 1
                      Right none of the above comments have helped although I appreciate you guys trying.

I'm no wizard with PP but I'm no slouch either, however this is the 1st time of using After Effects with PP.

I certainly know how to copy & paste & in this instance as I have already said...
                      With the clip that I want to copy highlighted I go Edit - Copy. Paste into After Effects & I end up with the whole of the sequence raw footage, why is this?

Yes I can export the clip to a .avi file (or whatever) & then load this into After Effects and then do my editing & then export into another .avi file & bring back into PP. But long winded, specially when their is a better way, I just don't know what.

Yes I can put this clip into a new sequence & do it that way, in fact that is the way I have resorted to but again why do I need to.

So questions.

Why when my 10 second clip is highlighted & I select copy & then paste into after effects do I get my entire unedited 30 minute movie pasted in?

Using File - Adobe Dynamic Link. Is there a way for this feature to bring with it into After Effects my highlighted segment?

???
                      • 8. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                        Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                        It works here for both mpeg2 and dv avi. Is there anything weird/special about your source footage?

To use DL from AE to PPro, start inside PPro. Go to File>Adobe Dynamic Link>Import AE Comp.

Then navigate to the AE project that has your comp in it (the one with the pasted footage) and then select the comp itself.

The DL comp will appear in the PPro Project panel as a footage item.
                        • 9. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                          Level 1
                          So just to be really clear we are talking about the same thing.

My 10 second clip is part of an imported project that was captured into Premier Pro using premier pro capture. I can't see how their would be anything unusual about this footage?

The clip I want to work on is approx 9.30 in.
                          Prior to this point various edits, a couple of music tracks & some colour effects have been added.
                          The clip has been cut using the razor on both sides.
                          I left click on the clip, this highlights it.
                          I go to Edit - Copy.

I then switch to After Effects.
                          Composition - New Composition - I accept default settings.
                          I highlight Comp 1 box, lower left.
                          Edit - Paste.
                          My entire raw unedited 14.48 mins footage is pasted???

It would appear that something is going wrong here as I believe I am doing all that I'm meant to be doing?

Any more thoughts anyone???
                          • 10. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            >Yes I can export the clip to a .avi file (or whatever) & then load this into After Effects

OK. If you can do that, why did you ask how to do that?

>and then do my editing & then export into another .avi file & bring back into PP

Skip this part and just import the AE project using Dynamic Link. The File menu in Premiere has an option for this.

>I highlight Comp 1 box, lower left.
                            Edit - Paste.

Try instead pasting into the Project pane, (top left).
                            • 11. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                              Level 1
                              Jim

By exporting the clip then the whole thing has to render doesn't it, okay that isn't going to take too long for a 10 second clip but according to all the searches & help I've found, PP & AE have this special relationship which is meant to make it oh so easy to transfer footage back & forth.
                              But you export & render then you can't re-edit without doing all again as well. So no Exporting isn't the sensible solution.

Try instead pasting into the Project pane, (top left).

Edit - Paste is greyed out if I try to paste with the Project Pane highlighted???
                              • 12. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                                Level 1
                                >My entire raw unedited 14.48 mins footage is pasted???

This is normal, but After Effects shoudl automatically apply IN and OUT points to restrict the clip to just the portion you are using in the copied clip. (So you will see dimmed handles representing the entire clip, but the highlighted part should be your trimmed clip between the IN and OUT points.)

If you do not see IN and OUT points in the After Effects composition, it could be that you are accidentally copying the clip from the Premiere Project panel instead of the Timeline panel.
                                • 13. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                                  Level 1
                                  Aha am getting somewhere, thanks for that reply Jeff, yes I see, so once I scrolled through the timeline in AE I did indeed see that my highlighted clip in Premier was within the dimmed handles in AE.

But another question then, the highlighted clip in Premier had a lighting effect added to it but once in AE that effect wasn't their? Anyway to have the whole clip copied from PP with all effects???

Thanks
                                  • 14. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                    >But another question then, the highlighted clip in Premier had a lighting effect added to it but once in AE that effect wasn't their? Anyway to have the whole clip copied from PP with all effects???

Very few effects or titles come over in the paste operation. The AE help has a complete rundown.

IIRC, you can expect cross dissolves to paste properly; everything else is ignored or turned into a Solid layer in AE.
                                    • 15. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      >Paste is greyed out if I try to paste with the Project Pane highlighted???

Hit CTRL-V. See if that works.

>Anyway to have the whole clip copied from PP with all effects???

File>Export Movie.
                                      • 16. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                                        Level 1
                                        Jim

So you know, if going via Edit & you find Paste is greyed out, Ctrl+V will never ever work, not in any single application, except if its a leap year!

File>Export MOvie yourself!!!
                                        • 17. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                                          shooternz Level 6
                                          Simon - I dont get it. (or your reaction to Jim)

You want to take a section of a project into AEFX.

The advice you are being given is sound.

Export the section (this is called the intermediate). Open it in AEFX and the bring it back from AEFX by (Export and Import).

This is so simple and a basic effective workflow.
                                          • 18. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                            >if going via Edit & you find Paste is greyed out, Ctrl+V will never ever work, not in any single application

My experience speaks to the contrary. I can't recall the specifics, but there was no right click or Edit menu Paste option available to me, so I tried CTRL-V, and it worked. Can't say that will be the case for you here as well, but I thought it might be worth a shot.

And the Export option is the only way to get the clip copied over with all effects. Like it or not.
                                            • 19. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                                              Level 1
                                              Craig I was being frustratedly light hearted with reaction to Jims comments re Ctrl+V as this does not work in any application.

But with the exception of one reply none of the advice given have taken into account what I have been asking or the error I seem to be getting?

My question was why does the whole of my footage end up in After Effects, Jeff offered an explanation which re handles which was correct, seems a bit daft to me for After Effects to import the whole footage when only the small highlighted section is wanted though...

But Export the section keeps getting offered but I have explained that I don't want to go through the whole time consuming process of rendering when I have read there is a different way, which doesn't seem to work for me so Export the section as advice is fine but please go into more detail because for me what do you mean, how you export into after effects???

Can someone please break it down?

Ta.
                                              • 20. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                In post 2 you say that you don't know how to export the clip. Then in post 7 you say you can export the clip and bring that into AE. Now you're back to saying you can't do it?

I'm confused. How are you not getting this?
                                                • 21. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                                                  Level 1
                                                  I'm confused Jim with your solutions, when you put
                                                  Export out the ten second segment first.
                                                  I didn't have a clue what you meant, because exporting the clip was so not the route to go that for you to suggest it confused me.

I googled this heavily this afternoon & wayched a couple of Adobe videos before I came here & asked.
                                                  Yes I could have Exported, I had the option to Export. Export is generally used to make your finished project. I don't want to make my finished project. So I don't want to Export. Why do you keep saying I should Export but not break it down any further, Exporting involve rendering, rendering is time consuming, there is a better way.

I have actually more or less got this figured out & it goes back to Work area bars which someone mentioned above.
                                                  You have to wrap what you want to edit in After Effects in the Work Area Bars. Then Add Dynamic Link. Then you copy your highlighted clip & paste into After Effects. The whole of the footage is pasted but due to the Work Area Bar having been positioned the footage is at that point in AE.

Considering it's meant to be so easy to swap footage between these two programs it's been hard work figuring this out. :-(
                                                  • 22. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                                                    shooternz Level 6
                                                    Here it is spelled out:

Set WORK AREA BAR to the section of the clip that you want to Export.

Export >Movie (Tip: uncheck the recompress box option to maintain quality)

Take the Exported Movie into AEFX

Work on it to your hearts content.

Export the result out of AEFX (via render queue) in the mode you want. eg avi or avi lossless with alpha (there are many, many export options from AEFX )

Import it back into PPRO and insert to timeline.

Done.

NOTE: Exporting part of a project (eg a clip)is quick and simple. This is not a rendering or time issue. If you are struggling with this I think you are going to be seriously challenged by AEFX and some major time with the manual and tutorials will be well spent.
                                                    • 23. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                                                      Level 1
                                                      OK that wasn't spelled very well out as you didn't state where to go on several of the menus, thus that's not what I call a spelled out answer. :-(

And the answer is wrong anyway.

I always knew I could export the movie. And doing as you suggested did exactly what I knew it would, it rendered the file & despite only being 200 frames big it & re compress unchecked it still rendered & took around 2 minutes to do so.

The solution I provided myself above using Dynamic Link & the work area bar which someone posted about above but didn't go into detail.
                                                      The Work Bars are something which up to now I have never used so initially I didn't know what they are.

It's annoying when you come on a forum asking for help & people offer one line non helpful sentences or really just don't know what their answering. :-(

So excuse me if I've seemed short with any of my replies, but when I offer help on a forum I generally lay it out, File - Edit - Copy etc & am as helpful as possible, not resorting to one line answers.
                                                      • 24. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                                                        Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                                        I think part of the issue here is that export is NOT a great option if you are still changing your PPro effects. I assume that none of the options automatically updates PPro changes, correct? AE changes are dynamically updated, but not PPro. I usually work only in the AE direction (create in AE, import project to PPro), so I have not tested. If this is true, I believe the workaround is to design your effects so you apply all possible in AE and then apply effects/transitions in PPro that are not needed in the AE comp.

And it was only a recent set of posts that seemed to make it clear to several of us that it is by design that the whole clip pastes into AE (no matter how the work area/in - out points are set. It wasn't until Jeff's post 12 that it was made clear enough for Simon how this works.

Simon's unfortunate question at post 2 ("how do I export out the 10 second segment?") led everyone astray for a bit.

BTW, I think the times that Ctrl-V works is when there is no menu option, but if there is an option and it is greyed out, Ctrl-V won't work either.

Simon, this forum is populated by a mixture of types, from those who give relatively little detail in their first responses, to those who provide more. Usually someone will come along with detail when it is needed, but sometimes not quickly enough!
                                                        • 25. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                                                          shooternz Level 6
                                                          Simon .

It is impractical to spell out a total solution menu by menu., key by key. The steps I gave you should have prompted you to follow through with a bit of your own effort.

The answer is not wrong. I use "intermediate clips" on a daily basis. I also use dynamic link and Cut/Paste. The simple solution I gave was specific to your case. Some of this comes down to a good edit workflow. eg edit first and final effects last.

A two minute render is nothing but actually indicates to me that you have already applied effects to it or you are working with media different to your project. Maybe a "weak" computer is the issue also.

The fact you did not know about "work area bars" says to me that you have been no where near the manual or a tutorial to learn some very fundamental stuff. You are kind of asking to do effects work without rendering and without effort. It aint going to happen.
                                                          • 26. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                            >The fact you did not know about "work area bars" says to me that you have been no where near the manual

That's been my impression as well.
                                                            • 27. Re: How do I Import footage from Premier to After Effects?
                                                              Level 1
                                                              Jim

For no other reason than it's a sunny Tuesday, the birds are tweeting in the sky oh & your right I will concede that yes you can occasionally right click when the edit box is grayed out & the wind is in the right direction :-)