28 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2008 5:56 AM by Eddie Lotter

How to output HDV without recompressing unaltered frames?

Hello everyone,

I have posted a similar question on the 2.0 forum, but thought I'd give it a go here as well, and try to fine tune it a bit.

My goal is to output a video I have been working on at the highest quality possible, and use it as a 'master' for all further purposes (be it compression for the web, DVD, etc.) In doing so, I'd like to keep the quality as high as possible (so as not to limit future applications), but at the same time, try and not do so at the cost of unnecessarily huge file sizes (that is, I'm not sure there is any need to export a gigantic uncompressed video file where the original footage was shoot in HDV, which is compressed to begin with)

So the solution seems to be trying to maintain as much of the original quality of the HDV footage captured as possible. A discussion with a FCP user led me to the understanding that on final cut you have an option to only render your edits, and save out the file as HDV, thereby leaving the rest just as they were upon import (without further recompression) I cannot see why would there not be a similar option on Premiere...

On the same note, I've done a lot of reading on the subject both on this and outside forums, and noticed that there are quite a few questions that address the subject of export format/setting/quality from various angles, and thought that it might be a good idea to add a thread in the FAQ about the best export settings for... 'X', 'Y', 'Z' -- this way users can share the settings they use for specific purposes or to attain certain results in one place, rather than having them scattered around the forum...

At any rate, all feedback will be much appreciated. Many thank!