4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2007 4:22 AM by (S._Mullen)

Will EXPORT TO ENCORE work without Encore Installed

Since CS3 does not have HD DVD support, I've found EXPORT TO ENCORE will encode the correct .M2V and .AC3 files BEFORE starting Encorde.

I only need the .M2V and .AC3 files that are left in the "3.0" folder. I don't need Encore to do anything. In fact it simply starts up and reports there is no BR drive.

I'd like to save the waste of time while Encore starts up.

I assume I'd leave the codecs installed.

MAC version.
        • 1. Re: Will EXPORT TO ENCORE work without Encore Installed
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Use Export> Adobe Media Encoder, not Export to Encore.
          • 2. Re: Will EXPORT TO ENCORE work without Encore Installed
            Level 1
            THANK YOU.

That was a good tip.

-------------

Of course I've now discovered that you must spend $300 to get an AC3 encoder!

Which means Encoder is useless unless you spend another $300 as AC3 audio is needed for 5.1 receivers to function correct.

--------------

There is no ability to encode MP2 which is the other compressed audio format.
            • 3. Re: Will EXPORT TO ENCORE work without Encore Installed
              Level 1
              In
              i some
              ways PCM audio is better than Dolby Digital, since it's uncompressed. Dolby Digital True HD audio is very good, it is what is used on Blu-Ray & HD DVD. Remember there are a lot of specific methods and Dolby Digital encoding schemes.

I am not sure if you get multichannel uncompressed PCM audio, hmmm.

I dont bother using Premiere's AC3 encoder, I usually export to a wma file since it is cpaable of 5.1. Or you can mix your audio in Premiere and export each channel as a mono wav file and use that.

I use Sony DVD architect, I prefer it to Encore, and this works fine.

> Which means Encoder is useless

Only if you do all you productions in 5.1, but wait I'm sure Encore actually does the AC3 encoding onto DVD, you don't need to bring in AC3 files.
              • 4. Re: Will EXPORT TO ENCORE work without Encore Installed
                Level 1
                The reason I need AC3 or MP2 is that I use MPEGstreamclip to mux to a Program Stream that goes to Ulead Movie factory which makes red laser HD DVDs.

MPEGstreamclip will not read WAV which makes sense because in the Mac world AIFF not WAV is used for PCM.

Dolby allows stereo AC3 encodes without the purchase of a license. I've got tons of software that does AC3 encodes for free. Wonder why Adobe is forcing the purchase of what should be free.

-----------------

Turns out you can do a separate pass to get audio out as AIFF. But it would be so nice not to be limted by PRESETS.

-----------------

Turns out whether AIFF or WAV, the audio is shorter than the M2V video! That's a bad sign.