12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2008 12:08 PM by Harm Millaard

It's upgrade time.

Level 1
      It's upgrade time. I use XP (Dual Core D930 3.0Mhz + DDR2) and Premiere 1.5 Pro with Aspect. I plan on shooting in XDCAM HD and EXCAM HD this year.

Here are my thoughts:

OPERATING SYSTEM

Stick with XP SP2

Q: Should I upgrade to SP3? Or even Vista?

EDITING

From Premiere 1.5.1 upgrade to CS3

Q: Is it really necessary and worth it?

CODEC

From Aspect upgrade to Prospect.

Q: Is it worth it? Will Prospect do the job or should I look at Prospect 4K?

PROCESSOR

From Dual Core D930 3.0 upgrade to QUAD CORE 9300

Q: What performance gain can I expect? Does Premiere take advantage of QUAD CORE or should I stick with a high end DUAL CORE?

MEMORY

Stick with 2 MB DDR2(800) No upgrade.

Q: Should I worry about DDR3 or a higher frequency DDR2?

MOTHERBOARD

From ASUS P5LD2 to ASUS...?

I want to stay with Asus. I purchased the P5E-VM HDMI motherboard which has HDMI out. I figured the board would allow for direct vieving of my editing window on an HD Screen. However, I'm not sure about whether this will work. Moreover I just discovered this motherboard has only 1 PCI slot and only 1 PCI Express 16 slot. There's no room for any plug ins beyond the audio card and the graphic card. This lack of future upgrade options makes me want to return it to the store. I will return it unless somebody here feels it is worth keeping.

What ASUS motherboard should I get?

FAN:

Is it a good idea to get one of these screw on fans? I need to know before I install the motherboard.

Thank you for any information regarding these matters.

May the force be with you.
        • 1. Re: It's upgrade time.
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
          1. It seems safe enough to go with SP3, there have been no complaints that I have seen. But stay with XP.

2. You need CS3 to work with the footage from P2 cards natively. It is difficult to say if there are any other features you need since Cineform is doing the trick for you.

3. You will have to ask the Cineform guys about that.

4. The Quad core will be faster than the dual core. Premiere Pro uses all of the cores.

5+. Don't know. It seems that you should have ar least 3GB of RAM if not 4GB. Match your RAM to your processor and motherboard, and match the motherboard to the processor.
          • 2. Re: It's upgrade time.
            Level 1
            You will be fine with just Prospect HD, P4K is overkill for your workflow.
            • 3. Re: It's upgrade time.
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              Why double post? You know that is not appreciated around here?
              • 4. Re: It's upgrade time.
                Level 1
                I did not get much response elsewhere so I posted it here where I received more responses.
                • 5. Re: It's upgrade time.
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  I had already replied in the other thread before noticing this one. So have a look over there as well.
                  • 6. Re: It's upgrade time.
                    Level 1
                    Since Premiere does take advantage of all four cores of the quad core proc, I'd recommend making that jump. You'll also have the option to upgrade your RAM when you do since the new Intel Quad-cores support the DDR3 Ram. I'd upgrade if I were you...you'll almost certainly notice the speed gain. Also, I would definitely recommend you upgrade to 3GB, but don't bother for 4GB because Windows XP doesn't support more than 3.25GB.
                    • 7. Re: It's upgrade time.
                      Level 1
                      Yes, go with a Quad-core 0 its worth the extra bang for your buck.
                      Also - it wouldn't hurt to go 4GB of Ram (as opposed to 3GB)
                      • 8. Re: It's upgrade time.
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        David,

A number of corrections. Upgrading RAM to DDR3 is chipset dependent, not CPU dependent. The speed gain of DDR3 versus DDR2 is negligent, because any speed advantage is offset by larger CAS latency. Upgrading to 3 GB may lose you the effective use of dual channel access, which you have with 4 GB, at least with 4 slots populated. Secondly, Windows XP supports the full 4 GB.
                        • 9. Re: It's upgrade time.
                          Level 1
                          Harm,

you're such a clever boy!
                          • 10. Re: It's upgrade time.
                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                            b @ MOBUTU

Previously I answered in your other thread:

> Q: Should I upgrade to SP3? Or even Vista?

Yes and no.

> Q: Is it really necessary and worth it?

Yes, yes.

> Q: Is it worth it? Will Prospect do the job or should I look at Prospect 4K?

Possibly, yes, no.

> Q: What performance gain can I expect? Does Premiere take advantage of QUAD CORE or should I stick with a high end DUAL CORE?

Dunno but significant, yes, no.

> Q: Should I worry about DDR3 or a higher frequency DDR2?

No, just what the mobo supports.

> Is it a good idea to get one of these screw on fans? I need to know before I install the motherboard.

What do you mean, screw on fans?

I'm not familiar with current ASUS mobo's. Base your choice first on chipset and socket, then on RAM, then on other features.

PS: It would be good to refrain from asking multiple questions in one sentence.

b @ Malick

b POLL:

Was this meant to be:

1. Sarcastic
                            2. Ironic
                            3. Truthful
                            4. In severe awe
                            5. Other, please specify...

b Boy
                            may not be applicable to a person 55+
                            • 11. Re: It's upgrade time.
                              Level 1
                              b Harm

3. Truthful - as I am also upgrading and always value your technical advice, though you might sometimes not even know it.

5. (Other) we have a saying here in our studio:
                              "You're such a clever boy" irrespective of age if you
                              do or say something really useful and intelligent.
                              Honest, you are a valuable member of this community.

PS: Did'nt know you were 55+.
                              PPS: Are you?
                              PPPS: No Harm intended.
                              PPPPS: Pun intended.
                              ;-)
                              • 12. Re: It's upgrade time.
                                Harm Millaard Level 7
                                > PS: Did'nt know you were 55+.

I never told you before.

> PPS: Are you?

Yes.

> PPPS: No Harm intended.