10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2008 1:37 PM by (bchil)

Titler in CS3 has issues that were not there in PPro2

shooternz Level 6
      I an have issue with Titler in CS3 that was not there in PPRO2 (or previous vers.)

Opening Titler does not "display" panes/windows as previous or "set" by user. ie Titler never remembers last state or workspace.

The Titler should be part of the workspace setting. No matter how good it is (and it is good), it has always felt like a "bolt on appendage" to Premiere to me. It never has the consistency/feel of Adobe products.

Titler is an essential and much needed part of my workflow and this needs to be fixed at next update. (Lack of Titling capability in FCP was a real show stopper for me and previously Premiere had this so well sorted apart from minor irritations/ inconsistencies such as lack of - "Save as")

Obviously I do not know how my "issue" affects other users but I am keen to hear?

BTW: a similar issue affects my project window. (occasionally...weird but true)
        • 1. Re: Titler in CS3 has issues that were not there in PPro2
          Level 1
          Updatign to 3.2.0 should help a little
          • 2. Re: Titler in CS3 has issues that were not there in PPro2
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5
            Take your titler and integrate it into the panels of a workspace by dragging and dropping all of the panels into the same pane as the Effect Controls Window (panel).

Save the workspace as "Titler Space" and make note of the hotkey assigned to it.

This is what mine looks like:

http://www.stevengotz.com/images/integrated_titler.jpg
            • 3. Re: Titler in CS3 has issues that were not there in PPro2
              shooternz Level 6
              I do run latest update so thats not it.

Steven: I will take a look at your suggestion at integrating to a Pane and hopefully can modify the idea a bit. I like to open and close the "Titler" so hopefully I can get it to work without having to change workspaces all the time.

If not your suggestion will work for me.

Thanx
              • 4. Re: Titler in CS3 has issues that were not there in PPro2
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                Changing workspaces all the time is exactly how I edit. I use one for setting up a project, once for putting footage on the timeline, one for titles, one for audio work, etc.

Just hotkey between them all and it is much faster than opening and closing windows used to be.
                • 5. Re: Titler in CS3 has issues that were not there in PPro2
                  shooternz Level 6
                  I might now have to work a bit more that way to sort the Titler issue but I find that I have plenty of screen real estate all the time (two x 26" monitors) so usually no need in Premiere for me to do that. I even have spare space (far right) with the Desktop "showing through" which can be handy to have something like Explorer or WordPad available quickly.

AEFX is another matter and I have a few custom workspaces to keep things kind of organised depending on the task.
                  • 6. Re: Titler in CS3 has issues that were not there in PPro2
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                    I often use AE along with Premiere Pro so I have to change feom two monitors each, to one monitor each. And since I edit HDV, I often change to a completely different workspace to get an almost full screen preview.
                    • 7. Re: Titler in CS3 has issues that were not there in PPro2
                      TradeWind Level 3
                      One thing to consider is the tilde ("~") key shortcut that's now available in PPro. Just place the mouse pointer over any panel/tab and hit that key...fills the screen with that panel.

Doesn't even have to be the currently targeted panel, just make sure the mouse pointer over the panel and hit the tilde.

I used to have multiple workspaces for storyboarding, source trimming, audio, preview, etc. For the most part now, I just go full screen with a single keystroke to do my storyboarding, and leave my program and source windows at 100%, using the tilde when I need to see the results of an edit.

Very cool.

I'll have to try that titler workaround, though. That may be the only way to keep myself from punching the screen every time I work in the titler. How ridiculous.
                      • 8. Re: Titler in CS3 has issues that were not there in PPro2
                        Level 1
                        I finally got around to trying to remedy this "annoyance" (Don't dare call it a bug...) and I have no explanation for how I fixed it...

I opened the titler, read Steven's workaround, moved it to my second screen. Closed it. Opened it again. Moved it back to main screen. Closed it. And now it remembers its sizing/screen placement. I even opened/closed Premiere to make sure it would stick. Still working just swell.

Again, no explanation for how this is now fixed... Kinda like a when your car is making a funny sound and you ignore it, and it just goes away... Weird.

-BChil
                        • 9. Re: Titler in CS3 has issues that were not there in PPro2
                          shooternz Level 6
                          >Read Rogers Post and the associated thread for more info on this matter:
                          I think I may have found where the problem lies. It appears that the "Title Tools" panel is the one that moves, pushing the position of the others. I have found that if you change the position on the Title Tools panel all the way to the bottom (of the titler window) the problem goes away (at least so far in my testing).

http://www.faithtechnology.net/images/TitlerWindow1.jpg
                          • 10. Re: Titler in CS3 has issues that were not there in PPro2
                            Level 1
                            I will do that as well! Although mine is still holding solid. DAY 2. However I did notice that the first time I opened it today the main window was tiny and I had to maximize then RESTORE that window. Hopefully this fix will keep that from happening again.

Steven -

Thanks for getting me in the right direction with your post! BTW, that is absolutely the most I have ever seen on one 4:3 monitor. EVER. I know that you say you often have AE or other apps open on your second monitor, but I have found that I can fit almost everything that I need on two monitors (one @ 1920 x 1080 and the other @ 1680 x 1050) and never have to switch Workspaces, except for one I have built for fine-tuning audio levels, etc. I use the Component-Out of my video card into an 8" Sony monitor for color correction and full-screen viewing, etc - but only power it on as needed... I run AE, PS and ULTRA simultaneously as well - but just press Alt-TAB to switch to any app full-screen that I want. You are most likely set in your ways - but just thought I'd offer that advice as a possible workaround for this "annoyance". I guess I just like to have everything as large as possible, and I don't even wear glasses! (yet)

-BChil