20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2010 7:17 AM by the_wine_snob

Project  Archive?

sneedbreedley Level 1
      Premiere 6.5 automatically archived mt last 5 saves of every project, in Documents and Settings/Documents/Adobe 6.5/Project Archives. Does Premiere Pro have a similar project archive folder? I can't find it and I really need to!
        • 1. Re: Project  Archive?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          The Auto Saved folder is in the same place as the project file. Look there.
          • 2. Re: Project  Archive?
            sneedbreedley Level 1
            Pure genius, you saved the day!
            • 3. Re: Project  Archive?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              It's why I'm here. ;)
              • 4. Re: Project  Archive?
                swpvideo1 Level 1

I have just opened a project I worked on last week, and two of the five  sequences are missing on the timeline. I hadn't done anything with the PC since the last time I worked on this project, and all the files are still there. I hoped that I could select one of the 9 copies of the project file I had selected in the preferences, but I can't find them.

I have looked in all my project folders and cannot see the auto saved folder anywhere - Search comes up blank as well. Any ideas?

Premiere ProCS3

WXPsp3

• 5. Re: Project  Archive?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have AutoSave enabled (default), you should have an AutoSave folder in your Project's folder hierarchy.

You mention 9, where 5 is the default, so it appears that you have bumped this up. When you go to the AutoSave folder, be sure to make sure that you are in Details View mode, and check the Date/Time of each file, as 009 might well not the be the latest. This is a FIFO situation, where the nine files are overwritten sequentially and 003 might well be later than all others.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - make sure that you have all Bins twirled open, in case your "missing" Sequence Timelines are in there. If so, Dbl-click on those to get them Open in the Timeline.

• 6. Re: Project  Archive?
                    swpvideo1 Level 1

Hi Bill - I found the sequences as you described - Thanks!!!

BUT I still do not see the Autosave folder? A search for "Autosave" comes up blank.

• 7. Re: Project  Archive?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If you do not see an AutoSave folder within the Project's folder hierarchy, then go to Edit>Preferences>Auto Save, and check what your settings are.

Also, it appears that I omitted a dash in "Auto-Save." Try a Search for auto-save.

Good luck, and sorry about the dash!

Hunt

• 8. Re: Project  Archive?
                        swpvideo1 Level 1

I checked my preferences again and they are;

Auto save every 8 mins,

Maximum project versions - 9

Project is "agavevids" in Agave folder on K drive, all scratch disks settings are to this folder

Folders within the Agave folder are;

Adobe Premiere Pro Preview files>agavevids.prv which has preview files

Encoded Files>agavevids.prproj> no content

Media Cache files>agavevids.maccc

>Media Cache files>agavevids.macc which has pek files

• 9. Re: Project  Archive?
                          swpvideo1 Level 1

I have just done a search for auto-save and have found the auto-save on all projects EXCEPT this one - just my luck.

Also having had the project open all afternoon (CET) there has still not been a single auto save.

• 10. Re: Project  Archive?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

One thing to remember is that Auto-Save will not kick in, until the Project has been Saved one time. A simple Ctrl+S will initiate Auto-Save.

Good luck, and sorry that this Project does not have the Auto-Saves.

At least you found your Sequences' Timelines, so that is good.

If you are experiencing an issue, and the lack of Auto-Saves might be, I'd do a Save_As, and increment the Project's name.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Project  Archive?
                              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Saving a project manually does not induce auto-save.

Auto Save saves as whatever timetable is set in the Preferences,

it also always saves to the project folder in the folder Premiere Pro Auto-Save as XXX-1.prproj, XXX-2.prproj etc

If you save a project (ctrl+S) manually is saves the current project as XXX.prproj which is in the project folder.

I have noticed that Premiere does not always do auto save for some reason.

Best is also to Save a Copy preferably to another disk at the end of the day as Auto Save overwrights after a while.

• 12. Re: Project  Archive?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

Saving a project manually does not induce auto-save.

Are you certain of this? Most writers have cited that Auto-Save does not start, until the first Save of the Project.

Also, the interval depends on what is being done in the Project. For instance, if set to 5 mins., and the Project sites idle, Auto-Save will not continue to Save over the previous files, every 5 mins., but only when changes are made. Otherwise getting a cup of coffee would result in the same exact Auto-Save files filling the folder, with no changes between them.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Project  Archive?

Maybe i was not very clear.

Ctrl+save saves as the project and not as an auto save.

• 14. Re: Project  Archive?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

No, that part I got. What I was questioning was the cycle that would initiate Auto-Save.

Just did a Project in PrPro 2.0, and did not Save. My Auto-Save is set to 5 mins. with 5 Auto-Saves. After ~ 15 mins., there were no Auto-Saves. Did a Ctrl+S and edited for another ~ 20 mins. When I checked, I had 4 Auto-Saves, where they should have been. Remember, this is PrPro 2.0, so later versions could well be different. Just an observation.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Project  Archive?

I am speaking of CS4 which we are currently on. Changes or no changes on the timeline it saves every NN-minutes as set in the Pref.

• 16. Re: Project  Archive?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

So, with CS4, if you take a break from editing, but leave the Project Open, for say 25 mins., all of your Auto-Save files will now be exactly the same? That too is a departure and potentially a fatal one, as one would have only one Auto-Save, incrementally, to fall back on. This seems like a big mistake on Adobe's part.

I often leave PrPro to work in PS, or Encore, and might not get back to my PrPro Project for some time, depending on the work that I need to do in those other programs. As it is in PrPro 2.0, if one is not editing, making changes, Auto-Save just sits on the last Auto-Save file, and does not overwrite earlier versions with that same exact PRPROJ file. If that is how it works now, I would be tempted to toggle Auto-Save ON/OFF, depending on what I am doing. This is good to know, but poor design IMHO.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Project  Archive?
                                          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CS3:

I changed my settings to every 2 minutes, and max 5 saves in order to test this more quickly.

I created a new project, then realized I didin ot make the settings change, so made the settings change, did not resave the project, and closed Premiere.  Reopened, made no changes and did not make a new save.

Autosave saves every 2 minutes, and after 5 saves, starts saving over the previous saves.  I have two monitors, and was watching the files appear in windows explorer on screen 2.  The focus was actually on explorer, so that did not stop autosaves.

Save the project.

No autosaves.  (I only waited a couple cycles, but appears clear it will not autosave when a manual save has occurred and no new changes.)

Made an edit, but did not save.  Autosaves every 2 minutes, and overwrites as it needs to.

Manual save; no autosaves.

Appears the same as Ann's description of CS4.

My quick look at the help files did not provide any meaningful description of the mechanics.

The CS5 help files look the same.

I believed before that there was some randomness to the autosaves, but now I wonder if I just was not attending to the right things.

My routine setup:  every 30 minutes and max 20 saves.  Just for this reason.

• 18. Re: Project  Archive?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting Stanley. Looks like this behavior has been around for a while. Given that PrPro now just chugs along, overwriting each file on cue, even when there are no changes made, makes it limited, at best, IMHO. Why have 5 (or X) of the same exact file? A very good reason to do Save_As and Save_As_a_Copy constantly, or bump the Auto-Save up some, and never stop editing, so that there are constant changes.

Thanks for checking,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Project  Archive?
                                              swpvideo1 Level 1

The Save first time worked and I have auto-save running for this project.

Thanks for all your help Bill

• 20. Re: Project  Archive?
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                The Save first time worked and I have auto-save running for this project.

Great news, and thanks for reporting.

Hunt